• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Sturmey Archer

Hi,

Anyone had recent experience with the 3 and 5 speed Sturmey Archer hubs?

What are they like to use?

Reliable?

Any comments, info appreciated.

I owned a 3 speed about 35 years ago and it broke frequently (possibly due to unforgiving use by a 12 yo!)

Thanks

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I had one about same time as you and finished up tossing it out in the rubbish they are still not very good now compared to what we have on the market 10-11 speed etc
I was a bit older than 12 yo used it for comuting before cars were invented.or should I say before cars were affordable.

I use the "modern" version of a Sturmley Archer on my commuter bike. It is a 8 speed Shimano Alfine. it is fully sealed and can take disk brakes.

I have used it for 7,500km of commuting so far this year, no problems with it, haven't done any maintenance on it yet. It works fine

There is an 11 speed version of this coming out soon so the 8 speed ones are cheap at the moment

Sturmley Archer were bought up by a far east manufacturer and the old hubs are still made

TRENDING THREADS