• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Supercross 2013

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The 2013 season kicks off tonight in Anaheim, California.

Defending champ Ryan Villapoto coming off major knee surgery as is Australian contender Chad Reed. James Stewart and Ryan Dungey look like they will be on form to contend. Justin Barcia in on a factory Honda this year in the big boy class and looked very competitive at Las Vegas a couple of months ago.

As usual, injuries will play a major role.... So who is going to win tonight and who do you like for the Championship?

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
My money is on this guy....
ama1981_hannah_640.jpg

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Stew wins tonight. Then crashes his brains out next week. Barcia starts making multiple enemies immediately. Bizness as usual for Poto and the Dunge. Father time starts catching up with Reed. Millsaps and Weimer surprise on the Suzuki's.

250's should be a barn burner with Tomac, Baggett and Roczen in the west.

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Fausto's Schnauzer said:
My money is on this guy....
ama1981_hannah_640.jpg

Haha. The Hurricane was incredible. I have read where Hannah is a super avid cyclist and is as strong and ruthless on a bicycle as he was on a YZ (or CR or RM)

BTW, did someone say something about Milsaps surprising everyone on the Suzuki??

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
magoo34 said:
Haha. The Hurricane was incredible. I have read where Hannah is a super avid cyclist and is as strong and ruthless on a bicycle as he was on a YZ (or CR or RM)

BTW, did someone say something about Milsaps surprising everyone on the Suzuki??

Hannah fly's his plane quite a bit too. I think Damon Bradshaw lives near Hannah and is a pilot as well.

Very interesting first round last night. Never would have picked Milsaps and I would not have thought Canard would be that strong. I also was thinking Bam Bam would have won going away with the start he got.

Not a great night for Villapoto... This might be a strange year. Several guys look to be going about the same speed.

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It would be nice to see a level of parity in the big class. I am sure hoping that Ryan Villopoto and James Stewart's injuries are not serious and that they are able to race at their top levels. If we do not see guys on the injury shelf this could be an epic season.

Milsaps is super talented and may (finally) be motivated and focused enough to throw his hat in the ring. The Suzuki is way better than the YZ.

Tomac on the 250? Might have won the 450's with the times he was turning.

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Alrighty then.

Other than James Stewart, it look like most of the boys made it through Anaheim 1 relatively unscathed.

Will we see some return to normalcy in round 2? Chase field in Phoenix, live on the Speed Channel, Saturday Night 1/12/13, 6:30pm PST.

Villapoto's going to be fast and, if not hurt, will need to make up points.

Millsaps was impressive as was Canard. Good starts and either could win again.

Dungey does not look quite right on the Katoom.

Chad Reed probably won't be in contention to win for a few weeks yet, but will be hanging around the front.

Barcia is a wildcard. Could win, could get 10th.

James.... I just don't know. A week is not very long to rehap a sprain of a meniscus tear. He did not look good during the main. I don't see how he wins unless his knee is 100%.