• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 194 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nah, he just shouldn't crash and would win Dauphine, Tour, LBL and Vuelta in two months :D. Annoying thing is crashing without doing anything wrong (mechanical error).

Back on Pogacar. Maybe Pogi will be the greatest classics rider and not GT? :D

In my opinion, his best performance was in RVV when he rode his tempo on the last hill and turned MvdP into tomato for a moment. My only hope is that losing Tour this year doesn't make him focus only on that and putting one day races a side.
There's not that much cost for the TdF to riding De Ronde and MSR. I think his schedule this year is a very good blueprint long term. The real question is if you double Tour/Vuelta or focus more on Lombardia. And if Pog finds he just isn't built for Tour/Vuelta then he shouldn't really do that.

Maybe he wants to set the GT record, but he sure as hell isn't acting like it. And I don't really believe in chasing Merckx' meme era records anyway.

I'm a bit sceptical about the repeatability of his RvV performance because of MvdPs poor prep and WvAs absence. But if I would change anything about Pogs seasonal planning it would probably be go less hard in UAE/Tirreno

There's not that much cost for the TdF to riding De Ronde and MSR. I think his schedule this year is a very good blueprint long term. The real question is if you double Tour/Vuelta or focus more on Lombardia. And if Pog finds he just isn't built for Tour/Vuelta then he shouldn't really do that.

Maybe he wants to set the GT record, but he sure as hell isn't acting like it. And I don't really believe in chasing Merckx' meme era records anyway.

I'm a bit sceptical about the repeatability of his RvV performance because of MvdPs poor prep and WvAs absence. But if I would change anything about Pogs seasonal planning it would probably be go less hard in UAE/Tirreno

"Meme era", lol. Very respectful.

But yes, it was easier to win 33 major races back then than now.

I think actually Wout being there would help Pogacar as Wout and Mathieu are often too focused on each other allowing others to slip away while they stare each other down. A 3 up sprint is also a more slippery dynamic too.

I agree that this year was a good balance between stage races and classics. As for RvV, he's definitely able to be one of favourites for years to come but victory will be difficult for a simple reason - he was in amazing form this year (TdF form in the spring) and still didn't win it (the same regarding MSR).

I think after Lombardia I can once again say that they should take Formolo to the Tour. He's friends with Pogacar and his biggest strengths, endurance and being able to ride hard for a long time when the race explodes far from the finish, match the formers strengths perfectly.
When he did his final pull only Mas and Landa were left on Pogacar's wheel. He was also crucial and super strong on 2 of his most impressive rides last year, the hilly Tirreno stage and Le Grand Bornard at the Tour. I think as a domestique he adds more than a Mas or a Hirschi.

I think after Lombardia I can once again say that they should take Formolo to the Tour. He's friends with Pogacar and his biggest strengths, endurance and being able to ride hard for a long time when the race explodes far from the finish, match the formers strengths perfectly.
When he did his final pull only Mas and Landa were left on Pogacar's wheel. He was also crucial and super strong on 2 of his most impressive rides last year, the hilly Tirreno stage and Le Grand Bornard at the Tour. I think as a domestique he adds more than a Mas or a Hirschi.

Without knowing anything of the 23 route. I would still say it's pretty clear what's the strongest team around Pogacar. And I agree Formolo need to be in the lineup.

Or maybe Hirschi replacing Soler if Hirschi finds his 2020 legs. Also, maybe Wellens instead of Trentin.

Nvm, just hope that Pogi will not change anything in his schedule for next year. Just imagine RVV with him, MVDP and WVA. Also, LBL battle with Alaphilippe :)
Wouldn’t mind him being allowed to drop the UAE Tour given they have Adam Yates who can be relied to be on flying firm there and uphold team honour.

It might just give him an extra edge of freshness for MSR and the spring classics.

Fully agree! Formolo is often laughed at because of his dramatic facial expressions. But he is one loyal domestique who can give it his all.

Ok, on paper he is weaker that Hirschi and Soler for example, but when have we seen those guys do what Formolo does? Just totally giving himself for Tadej.

He is not confirmed for UAE yet for next year but I certainly hope they will keep him and upgrade his schedule again. He could def be a good help for Tadej in the Tour.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Or maybe Hirschi replacing Soler if Hirschi finds his 2020 legs. Also, maybe Wellens instead of Trentin.

Nvm, just hope that Pogi will not change anything in his schedule for next year. Just imagine RVV with him, MVDP and WVA. Also, LBL battle with Alaphilippe :)

No Soler for the tour in my opinion. He was just invisible and gives me the impression to still mainly want to go for his own changes. Which with Tadej in the team, none of them should.

Tour team should be in my opinion: Pogi, Majka, Formolo, Yates, Bjerg, Wellens/Trentin, mcnulty a,d maybe Ayuso/almeida if they are willing to go in the domistique role

And I indeed hope Tadej keeps his schedule more or less the same. He is so damn talented in the flemish classics that it would be sad to not see him there. His show at RVV this year was incredible.

Fully agree! Formolo is often laughed at because of his dramatic facial expressions. But he is one loyal domestique who can give it his all.

Ok, on paper he is weaker that Hirschi and Soler for example, but when have we seen those guys do what Formolo does? Just totally giving himself for Tadej.

He is not confirmed for UAE yet for next year but I certainly hope they will keep him and upgrade his schedule again. He could def be a good help for Tadej in the Tour.
Formolo has a contract for next year, he signed a multi year deal to continue with the team after 2021

Pogacar's sucessful season puts a shadow on one of the worst team tactics I have ever seen on display (bar Movistar). UAE does not act like a team outside of Pogi's objectives. In all other races it is every man for himself. Hell, even Soler had his brain melting in the Tour.

They are in desperate need of some good tactical DS’s for sure.

Even when Tadej is racing, he is often left to himself. Ok, at Lombardia they did a great job, but the tour….

I saw Tadej riding alone in the front of the peloton like 99% of the time during the first week.

It was almost a joke seeing him to try to hang himself on the jumbo train. Luckily his friends Mathieu and Jasper were nice enough for him to hang on the alpecin train.

Ok, there were injuries and sickness, but still…outside amazing days from Mcnulty and Bjerg they were nowhere to be seen.

A very fine article today about Tadej, by the one and only Kate Wagner! Very suggested read.

“I got this amazing opportunity to be at the top of my sport,” he says. “I’m really grateful that I can do things that help others and give back. It feels like I need to do something, not just to sit on my sofa and enjoy the success because that’s not the point, because not everyone gets the same chances that I get.”
“For sure,” he answers. “When you win, it changes you. You get your confidence. But when you lose, sometimes you need that reality check … That was done to me this year. I know better what to do next year. I’m happy that I lost.”
“You’re a cyclist’s cyclist.”
“I know, a cyclist’s cyclist. We’re stubborn.”

View: https://twitter.com/derailleurkate/status/1580018112757346305

Last edited:
A very fine article today about Tadej, by the one and only Kate Wagner! Very suggested read.

“I got this amazing opportunity to be at the top of my sport,” he says. “I’m really grateful that I can do things that help others and give back. It feels like I need to do something, not just to sit on my sofa and enjoy the success because that’s not the point, because not everyone gets the same chances that I get.”
“For sure,” he answers. “When you win, it changes you. You get your confidence. But when you lose, sometimes you need that reality check … That was done to me this year. I know better what to do next year. I’m happy that I lost.”
“You’re a cyclist’s cyclist.”
“I know, a cyclist’s cyclist. We’re stubborn.”

Good piece of reading. Till this Tour Pogacar won majority of big races when in form: the two previous Tours, monuments. It looked almost too easy. In the spring he looked unbeatable at times but Vingegaard took his aura of invincibility and we will see how Tadej responds next year. How motivated he will be to get the 3rd Tour title. Judging by his autumn races (3 one-day races won) the loss didn't discourage him, maybe the opposite.

Interesting fashion at TDF2023 route presentation

FgEQ7XRXEAEZVyf

• Love
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
They are in desperate need of some good tactical DS’s for sure.

Even when Tadej is racing, he is often left to himself. Ok, at Lombardia they did a great job, but the tour….

I saw Tadej riding alone in the front of the peloton like 99% of the time during the first week.

It was almost a joke seeing him to try to hang himself on the jumbo train. Luckily his friends Mathieu and Jasper were nice enough for him to hang on the alpecin train.

Ok, there were injuries and sickness, but still…outside amazing days from Mcnulty and Bjerg they were nowhere to be seen.
He isn't without blame himself. The way he races also puts his team on the spot often and early. He knows their weaknesses but he can't wait to go toe to toe with Jumbo even when it's unnecessary.

TRENDING THREADS