• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TdF '17 - stage 5: Vittel>La Planche des Belles Filles 160km

Page 24 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win the stage?

• Chris Froome

Votes: 30 18.8%
  • Richie Porte

Votes: 51 31.9%
  • Nairo Quintana

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Alberto Contador

Votes: 14 8.8%
  • Fabio Aru

Votes: 16 10.0%
  • Jakob Fuglsang

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Dan Martin

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Romain Bardet

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • None of the above

Votes: 12 7.5%
  • Vino-option

Votes: 8 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
You know, it may have. There were obviously greater chances that he wouldn't win, but thats not what I am saying. And I don't really care - I would just have loved to see him compete because, well, he is my favourite rider by a mile. I loved Rasmussen, but it wasn't him I cheered for in Courchevel in 2005. Followed him closely ever since, in my early years always playing PCM with Illes Balaers and Caisse d' Epargne, always imagining myself to be Valverde when I was out sprinting on hills. My friends didn't understand why I would cheer for a rider that always failed in Tour de France, failing to grasp he was so much more than just that.

There was a reason why I didnt really watch cycling for a few years. Valverde was just everything to me.
Nice post.

Angliru said:
Valv.Piti said:
Brullnux said:
Valv.Piti said:
I dont know, I just seem so indifferent to this whole thing at the moment. Valverde was literally the only thing I was excited about this Tour and that time trial robbed him, me and the rest of the world for the potentially biggest thread to Froome.
Valverde isn't good enough in the high mountains to win it. He struggled a lot in the Dauphine, and while I know it's not an accurate indication (look at fugslang) he was quite clearly a level below Porte, Froome, Martin and Aru. The Galibier and the stupid Izoard mtf would have hurt him
You know, it may have. There were obviously greater chances that he wouldn't win, but thats not what I am saying. And I don't really care - I would just have loved to see him compete because, well, he is my favourite rider by a mile. I loved Rasmussen, but it wasn't him I cheered for in Courchevel in 2005. Followed him closely ever since, in my early years always playing PCM with Illes Balaers and Caisse d' Epargne, always imagining myself to be Valverde when I was out sprinting on hills. My friends didn't understand why I would cheer for a rider that always failed in Tour de France, failing to grasp he was so much more than just that.

There was a reason why I didnt really watch cycling for a few years. Valverde was just everything to me.

He "is" everything to you. His career isn't over yet. :) I can relate. He was my favorite since his win on La Pandera in the Vuelta (2003?) until Contador came along and it's been neck and neck ever since. I've been partial to the Spanish riders since Pedro Delgado and then Miguel Indurain. It was because of them that I went back in history to explore the other Spanish and Spanish speaking champions with Bahamontes, Jose Manuel Fuentes and Luis Ocana being a few of my all time favorites.

Me too

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
DD_ZysDXoAATpL0.jpg

That is a helluva image! :cool:

Re: TdF '17 - stage 5: Vittel>La Planche des Belles Filles 1

Alpe d'Huez said:
Tank Engine said:
Aru at present looks to be the biggest threat to Froome and I'm looking forward to a direct head to head at some point. Very impressive win today for Wallace.
You mean for GC? In Paris? Aru close to Froome? Closer than Porte?
See TJVG: Dauphine/Tour 2015. Personally I have felt that Porte peaked too early.

Encouraging to see Aru has good legs. Aru has actually won a 3 week stage race, unlike Mr. Porte. We might get something of an interesting GC race yet. The time gaps are not massive and this is far from a done deal for Sky. One mechanical at a bad time and Froome is out of yellow.

Alpe d'Huez said:
Tank Engine said:
Aru at present looks to be the biggest threat to Froome and I'm looking forward to a direct head to head at some point. Very impressive win today for Wallace.

Even if he doesn't finish closer than Porte In the GC, I think Astana and Aru are more likely to give Sky a panic attack than Porte and BMC. Also, Porte maintaining his peak is a question, so finishing ahead of Porte is certainly a big possibility.

However, there's still a long way to go.

Tank Engine said:
Alpe d'Huez said:
Tank Engine said:

Even if he doesn't finish closer than Porte In the GC, I think Astana and Aru are more likely to give Sky a panic attack than Porte and BMC. Also, Porte maintaining his peak is a question, so finishing ahead of Porte is certainly a big possibility.

However, there's still a long way to go.
Exactly. Even when Aru is not able to win a GT he still gives the winner a very hard time (see Giro 2015).

Angliru said:
Alexandre B. said:

That is a helluva image! :cool:

ASO are going to run it into the ground over the next few years but I kinda like this climb - it's steep enough that domestiques are less useful, but short enough that it doesn't completely finish the race if it's in an early stage. Not sure if it was planned, but by putting a very steep bit and then a few metres on flat before the finish line, they get great shots of the winners floating up into view in front of the pine forest that gives you a real idea of how fast they are climbing.

OwUfQVI.jpg

Re:

Robert5091 said:
Chapeau Aru!

BMC chase all day and then blow up - Sky have 6 men on the front with 4 km to go (just like the good ol' days of USPS) - LRP is the only one who can TT with Froome but needs 40 seconds somewhere.

And only one at 1.5km to go with Aru 20 sec ahead. BMC did good job, Porte failed.