• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF helmets without vents

New trend in aero crash hats for road stages?

• A useless trend dont know why they are bothering

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
On yesterdays stage I noticed that a large proportion of teams are going for crash hats with either a couple of vents (Rabobank) or all the vents covered up (Sky). I dont see the point for aerodynamics in a road stage and to me they look stupid especially the pudding basins sported by Rabobank.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
B_Ugli said:
I dont see the point for aerodynamics in a road stage and to me they look stupid especially the pudding basins sported by Rabobank.

Based on what? You thinking they're ugly? Because aerodynamics don't matter for road cyclists? Why?

People don't like change, but get used to it quite quickly. In the past, non-woolen cycling shirts were blasphemy, as were non-black shoes. About a year ago, someone was complaining about skin suits and, now we have another change, immediately people are complaining.

Of course aerodynamics matter, we can all pretend that it doesn't, so we can look at the familiar helmets we've just got used to, but it does. Like with any innovation in cycling, in isolation, the gain is negligible, but all innovations together make a huge difference.

Stop whining, get used to it, and enjoy cycling.

This whole thing baffles me. For me, traditional cycling helmets have to be just about the ugliest piece of sports ware in the history of sporting ware - great if you want to look like an extra in a pet shop boys video, circa 1993, but pretty much rediculous in any other circumstance. So adding or taking away vents, or changing the shape slightly, is not a deal breaker in my mind.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
personal said:
No ventilation during summer is big no-no for me.

Apparently the Air Attack (sported by Renshaw) has efficient internal channels that keep your head cool without that many vents. I think it's a good idea for aero, but it just looks like a skate/commuter lid, kind of out of place in the pro peloton. I wonder how it looks with the eye shield - maybe Renshaw will wear it one day.

If everyone wore them it wouldn't look weird. I have never seen a cycle helmet that ACTUALLY looks good (maybe the track sprinter ones), you just get used to them...

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
IMHO it's a gimmick, which comes from Sky using track helmets in TTs. Looking at a good picture of the Giro helmet, you'd realy struggle to differentiate it from a 'skate lid'. Commuters wear those, so that's the market. No way it can be as well ventilated as a heavily vented helmet.

pic

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
taiwan said:
IMHO it's a gimmick, which comes from Sky using track helmets in TTs. Looking at a good picture of the Giro helmet, you'd realy struggle to differentiate it from a 'skate lid'. In summary: $$$.

https://default.secure.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11141%7C000007ad1%7C33f6_tdf12-Tankink-New-Giro-Helmet-4.jpg

Just like I said. However, if the skate lid is actually faster, they will wear the skate lid and that's it. They're all ugly anyway.

Companies need to come up with new stuff, even if it's not essentially needed. Otherwise, what would they do?

Horrendous. In my opinion everyone wearing either a helmet with closed vents or one of those "pudding basins" as TS calls them should be banned. I'm so glad Alberto no longer has a personal sponsor contract with Giro, because I seriously don't want to see Alberto riding around with one of those pot helmets on his head.

helmet3.jpg

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
IDK why Sky use normal helmets with the vents blocked though. I thought that was just for the classics when the weather was cold.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Sorry, those helmets have absolutely no benefit at all.
If a guy like Wiggins wears them all this shows is how stupid he is.

:rolleyes:

If he wears it ( and many others too ) - there has to be some benefit.

They tested them scientifically - did you ?

Did you ever ride profesionally to be soo sure there's no gain in them ? :rolleyes:

They might look ugly, but there has to be some gain - because many wear them and not just Wiggins.

Gloin22 said:
:rolleyes:

If he wears it ( and many others too ) - there has to be some benefit.

They tested them scientifically - did you ?

Did you ever ride profesionally to be soo sure there's no gain in them ? :rolleyes:

They might look ugly, but there has to be some gain - because many wear them and not just Wiggins.

Well at best it saves him like 2 or 3 watts. That's nothing and doesn't have any effect at all. The damages of the reduced cooling are much higher.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Well at best it saves him like 2 or 3 watts. That's nothing and doesn't have any effect at all. The damages of the reduced cooling are much higher.

If that was true- they wouldn't be wearing them.