• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF Time Bonuses

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I am sure time bonuses used to be awarded in the TDF, and I know they were in the Giro this year. Why are they no longer awarded in the TDF and is there a consensus on whether they are a good thing or a bad thing?

Why? Well I am intrigued that with the tour so close this year, well at least between LA and AC that they could have a significant impact on the tour and also offer more opportunities to gain / lose time on other GC contenders.

I am new to the forum, and I could not see this thread elsewhere (apologies if I missed it in the 1st 6 pages), so please be nice and yes i'll stick my hand up and say till this year I really only watched the tour but since buying my own bike I have now watched and learnt a lot more about the classics and other grand tours. So those regular posters please don't eat me! We all need to learn somewhere.

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
Last year there was no prologue and the organizers expected the Maillot Jaune to move from one rider to another through the first stages, thanks to no time bonuses - thus no GC domination by sprinters during the first week and small gaps between riders.
This is part of total real-time race, including no time tweaks on the TTT.

Hi everyone, this is my first post, I hope I can help on the forum as much as I learn on CyclingNews. :)

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
UK_fan said:
I am sure time bonuses used to be awarded in the TDF, and I know they were in the Giro this year. Why are they no longer awarded in the TDF and is there a consensus on whether they are a good thing or a bad thing?

Why? Well I am intrigued that with the tour so close this year, well at least between LA and AC that they could have a significant impact on the tour and also offer more opportunities to gain / lose time on other GC contenders.

I am new to the forum, and I could not see this thread elsewhere (apologies if I missed it in the 1st 6 pages), so please be nice and yes i'll stick my hand up and say till this year I really only watched the tour but since buying my own bike I have now watched and learnt a lot more about the classics and other grand tours. So those regular posters please don't eat me! We all need to learn somewhere.

Welcome to you both - yes most topics have been covered at some point but unfortunatley they usually get hidden away deep in some thread.

I too joined this forum to further my knowledge - and I now get more 'news' from in here than I do on the CN main page.

I hope you both stick around long after the Tour as there is so much more to this sport than the Tour and the individual competitors.