• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Moviestar said:
42x16ss said:
fauniera said:
Escarabajo said:
I think what Movistar will be trying to look for is for good rouleurs for Quintana at the Tour. At least that's my impression.

And they should! Bennati is a good step in that direction, already compensates for the loss of Visconti. Malori should come back too, if his health is okay again.

Edit: Küng seems to be out of contract. Would be perfect.
Bennati, Castroviejo, Dowsett, Oliveira, Malori, Rojas, Sutherland... Movistar has plenty of rouleurs next year. They just have to actually use them sensibly more often, like they did at the Vuelta.

All injured during the Tour build-up or during the Tour.
Good point re: TDF - they were very unlucky. But my point was that normally four or five of those guys would be enough good rouleurs for a GC team, and they proved it at the Vuelta.

Movistar have plenty of good rouleurs now with Bennati signing on. They have no real excuses for not being able to protect Quintana and Valverde unless they have very bad luck again.

fauniera said:
Unlucky or not, Nairo lost the Tour 2015 because of lack of support during flat stages. This has to be a focus to prevent that from happening in the future. Of course they also need good climbers.
Which has been done by signing Bennati.

And look no further than yesterday's stage of Eneco Tour, a young guy like Sutterlin is improving and the Izaguirre brothers are good rouleurs themselves. They have plenty of strength and depth now, especially the latter.

Movistar announced some weeks ago that the budget would increase and that they want to enforce the team around Nairo.. two weeks later Ion Izagirre (the third leader) on the verge of leaving, D.Moreno also rumoured to leave.

A bit paradoxal.

Brent Copeland, General Manager of Bahrein-Merida:

There is no truth to any of the rumours besides Izaguirre. We have some bureaucratic documents to go through because he has a contract for next year, so we are still discussing it. Its not 100 per cent but it’s looking good.”

Izaguirre has a massive 270 points and sits 10th in the WorldTour ranking. He is currently in contract with Movistar for 2017, but his agent also told Cycling Weekly that they are negotiating their way out of it.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/bahrain-merida-boss-denies-team-is-signing-joaquim-rodriguez-286721#HKmA0H2kTyGADfAh.99

In other words Ion is gone :sad:

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
De La Parte and Carapaz signed. Parte is a decent climber while Carapaz is promising.

De La Parte is a typical Unzue signing, a good rouleur and indeed a decent climber.

In his younger days he was one of the most talented riders in Spain, terrorising the Spanish amateur circuit. Then off the radar for some time, but the last years he has proved that he can do something with decent performances in Austria and Switzerland.

However given the fact that Movistar has offered him ''only'' a one-year deal, suggests that they have some doubts.

Its really a 'meh' signing. As you have said, considering the increase in the budget and all, they have managed to lose Ion Izagirre and replace him with... De La Parte.

One of the first time I've seen Dayer Quintana this year. Sometimes, I get the impression he is much more of a rouleur than an actual climber. I remember him doing incredible well in Eneco Tour and MSR, but has yet to show up on the climbs apart from San Luis.

And what was the point of bringing Nairo back to Europe instead of giving him a well deserved rest after La Vuelta.. to meet those motorbike guys? :p Had really hoped to see him today, but with all that travelling back and forth, all those obligations, its natural that he didn't want to compete since I'd assume Movistar wanted him to.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Its really a 'meh' signing. As you have said, considering the increase in the budget and all, they have managed to lose Ion Izagirre and replace him with... De La Parte.

One of the first time I've seen Dayer Quintana this year. Sometimes, I get the impression he is much more of a rouleur than an actual climber. I remember him doing incredible well in Eneco Tour and MSR, but has yet to show up on the climbs apart from San Luis.
http://cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race.asp?raceid=26406

Yes you are right. I also have a Cobo feeling on this transfer.

I don't think De La Parte is the direct replacement of Ion Izagirre. De La Parte will be used mainly as worker.Maybe they wait till the next transfer window, with guys as Fuglsang, Formolo, Uran, Brambilla, Jungels and G.Thomas on the market.

Quintana: sponsor obligations perhaps? Those motorboys were also sponsored by Movistar.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Moviestar said:

I don't think De La Parte is the direct replacement of Ion Izagirre. De La Parte will be used mainly as worker.Maybe they wait till the next transfer window, with guys as Fuglsang, Formolo, Uran, Brambilla, Jungels and G.Thomas on the market.

Quintana: sponsor obligations perhaps? Those motorboys were also sponsored by Movistar.

Very hard to see any of those guys signing for Movistar imo. Thomas will either renew with Sky or go with (probably Anglo, if possible) team for full leadership in the Tour. Jungels and Brambilla both seem happy at EQS (and Jungels isn't really a great candidate for domestique work anyway). Uran would surely aim higher than Nairo's super-dmestique. Fuglsang could get more money at quite a few other teams. Formolo....maybe.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Moviestar said:

Very hard to see any of those guys signing for Movistar imo. Thomas will either renew with Sky or go with (probably Anglo, if possible) team for full leadership in the Tour. Jungels and Brambilla both seem happy at EQS (and Jungels isn't really a great candidate for domestique work anyway). Uran would surely aim higher than Nairo's super-dmestique. Fuglsang could get more money at quite a few other teams. Formolo....maybe.