• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky - James Murdoch ??

The man who identified cycling as a vehicle for Sky to invest in and get publicity from is leaving BSkyB. Sky now has a shiny new toy in F1 coverage and given all the problems in cycling I can't see them staying around much longer.

They are being milked for as much as possible by people within cycling and are soon going to get sick of this.

May 20, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:
The man who identified cycling as a vehicle for Sky to invest in and get publicity from is leaving BSkyB. Sky now has a shiny new toy in F1 coverage and given all the problems in cycling I can't see them staying around much longer.

They are being milked for as much as possible by people within cycling and are soon going to get sick of this.
And your basing this on what exactley?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:

Eh?

Given they earned a profit of £1073m last year, they probably don't even notice what is spent on cycling.

Jeremy Darroch's bonus last year alone was £1.7m.

http://annualreview2011.sky.com/_assets/downloads/PDF/skyAR2011_Full_Review_2011.pdf
ad-annualreview-land.jpg

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Cycling in the UK is becoming massive. Public opinion towards cyclist is also changing and The Times are pushing change in laws protecting cyclists, the government is realising the change in public attitude toward cycling.

i dont see Sky backing away anytime soon with all this good publicity.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
nevada said:
Cycling in the UK is becoming massive. Public opinion towards cyclist is also changing and The Times are pushing change in laws protecting cyclists, the government is realising the change in public attitude toward cycling.

i dont see Sky backing away anytime soon with all this good publicity.

Plus, the publicity alone earned via the track stuff shown on the BBC will have been worth shed-loads in terms of like for like advertising costs.

cycling10get_2144021i.jpg

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
But good to see how cycling is growing in the UK. It's one of the reasons I don't really get why the UCI wants to expand in Asia so much (money, ofcourse). Australia is a major cycling country, just like the UK is or can become. Why not focus on putting up decent races there (no offence to the Tour Down Under and the Tour of Britain) instead of having all these dumb races in Asia (like in China)? In my opinion a country first has to develop a reasonable cycling structure/good cyclists in order to get World Tour races. Why don't the Chinese for example first put money in that and then the races will follow.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Der Effe said:
But good to see how cycling is growing in the UK. It's one of the reasons I don't really get why the UCI wants to expand in Asia so much (money, ofcourse). Australia is a major cycling country, just like the UK is or can become. Why not focus on putting up decent races there (no offence to the Tour Down Under and the Tour of Britain) instead of having all these dumb races in Asia (like in China)? In my opinion a country first has to develop a reasonable cycling structure/good cyclists in order to get World Tour races. Why don't the Chinese for example first put money in that and then the races will follow.

Come on, we're talking about the UCI here. That would be far too sensible. ;)

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
hmm yes I am sure Sky will be leaving cycling soon - they are getting nothing from it after all :rolleyes:

Cav-KBK.jpg

cyclinggold.jpg

chrishoywinskeirincopenhagen.jpg

There are lots of places in the world to put your company logo - Victoria Pendleton's thighs are definitely among the better ones...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Winterfold said:
cyclinggold.jpg

There are lots of places in the world to put your company logo - Victoria Pendleton's thighs are definitely among the better ones...

Victoria Pendleton's right breast definitely among the better ones...

corrected ;)