• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Type 1 horror story

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
If they had already terminated him, then that would dramatically alter the facts as provided by Joe. No interest in really debating this rather sad scenario. Just wanted to make clear that, as described by Joe, this is not an at-will employment situation, which seemed to drive your original analysis.

Well, it looks like the rider himself released a post. Claims he was never paid, and was heading back to London to collect a visa to come back to the US, but then the team cancelled his work visa while he was away, stranding him in the UK.

Not sure exactly how that works... I'm not a world traveller... I'd assume he had a visa before coming over to begin with but apparently not. According to his note the team had strung him along about pay until the "visa thing" got worked out, then dropped him once he was back in London. No mention of the insulin side though.

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
i'm not surprised at all that "no-name" riders are treated poorly(always have been) that doesn't mean it's ok.

young talents take jobs abroad that involving travelling around with other employees, but food and beds are luxury goods that the employer shouldn't be providing. REALLY. i get the "harden up" attitude, but we're not talking suites at 5* hotels (camp bed/sofa bed at a friend/cousin of someone in the team would be fine by me) does anyone here think it'd be ok if a bunch of you at work were sent to a conference where you had to stay for a week and made you sleep on the floor.

maybe i'm soft, but (i fairly regularly work 16hr days, and have been known to finish work on a friday (after 70hr working week) drive for 3+ hours, kip on a mates sofa in a sleeping bag, to ride the next day) i'd go to an employment tribunal if they expected me to travel and sleep on floors and not eat.

this is before even getting to a fitness related job which employs medical experts, denying access to necessary drugs.

the Stout story is at the very best a disgusting business practice, the van de eynde story sounds like a crime has been committed.

(personally, if i could do a GT if offered the condition that i slept on the floor etc. i'd do it, course i would. mainly due to my lack of talent. i don't think that is an acceptable way to run a business.)

TRENDING THREADS