• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Test Ride : Carbon vs. New & Old Steel

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Feeling a little bit behind the times, I decide to spring for a new bike. I've got a 10 year old Giant TCR (Shimano 105) and an even older all-Italian ride, Columbus SL (with the Cinelli "aerodynamic" BB) + Campy Veloce. I took the older one to the LBS. I consider myself fairly sensitive to my bike set up.

Keeping in mind that these are just short test-rides, not enough time to personalize the bike perfectly. I managed to snag 3 rides and a did a bunch of laps around the area, storming up the hills and sprinting on the flats (bonus, I hit SRAM, Shimano & Campy too):

1) Cervelo RS: Supposedly race pedigree, Paris-Roubaix winning bike, right?. Well, I found the default setup is veeery relaxed. Not even my MTB handlebars are so high up. That may have contributed to the fact that every time I sprint, I have to be careful not to raise the front wheel. The bars are also very narrow for my liking and cockpit way too short (maybe I'm meant to ride upright?). SRAM is easy to figure out, I don't think I ever missed a shift, but I don't like it. Shifting to bigger cogs is a pain compared to Shimano or Campy. Having to fling it extra far feels like an unnecessary effort & delay. If it was reeeally cheap, sure I'd put up with it, but for the same price, naw, I'll pass. The bike was very stable "hands off", but need to pay attention during the sprints.

2) Pinarello FP2 Carbon: Having said the RS seemed maybe too relaxed for
me, I bypassed a Look carbon which they said would be similar. I felt the Pinarello was a bit more "aggressive" as they said, but still not what I'm used to riding! At least there was a bit more cockpit space. I did like the default setup a bit better than the Cervelo. Funny thing, when sprinting, the FP2 felt more stable than the RS, but "hands off", it was a bit squirelly vs. the RS. Shimano's latest Ultegra felt just the same as my old 105 pretty much. A "nice to have", but nothing that'll make me a superstar :)

3) Marinoni Piuma (steel!): Well, 2 guys there said it was worth a try. First thing I noted, the sharp pinging noises as sand hit the tubes. The default setup was much more to my liking, bar width, seat/handlebar difference was sort of like my Giant. The ride was nice and familiar. The Campy Athena? Ultra sensitive shifting compared to my old one, I kept going up too many cogs at first, but I got used to it. One thing I really miss is the ability to slam down multiple gears at once. You don't know you need it until you don't have it. The hoods are way more comfortable and shifting is lighter now. The brakes seemed the best of the bunch. Good ride, yes. But I have to admit, when sprinting or accelerating up the hills, there is just this slight "pause", not as "snappy" as the 2 carbons. It's small, if I hadn't ridden it immediately back-to-back, I may not notice, but clearly it was there. I could imagine doing this repeatedly over 6 hours, it would be tiring. On the other hand, the difference may be the wheels/tires, not the frame... Except for that one little thing, I would rate this bike the best handling and feel "out of the box".

Oh wait! Did I say that? No, there's one more bike, the old Italian steed that I took to the LBS. Maybe it's the tires (Vredestein), but it was smoother riding than the rest. It was pretty responsive in the sprints, maybe at least as good as the Marinoni? It was stable, comfortable... the big difference was it didn't absorb the big bumps as well. Also, I should note the whole drivetrain is well past due for an update, over 20,000km and the front wheel is still the original.

The bottom line is the 2 carbon frames did not blow me away vs. the new steel or my old steel or the aluminum as I was expecting. Better? Probably yes. $2k-3k better? Probably not.

Yes, just my opinion only, but I think people should really start ignoring the frame material, ignore the weight and just go for a test ride and let that be the deciding factor. (Unless you're a pro). In fact, both my old rides benchmark pretty similar times during my commutes despite a significant amount of hills and nearly 2kg weight difference between the bikes.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Clearly you dont do a lot of hilly races and you want a bike to last 10 years then the steel or Ti frame is for you.
Carbon will last 2-3 years racing but then you wont want to drag the extra kgs in the steel bike up every hill. remember every 1 kg costs you 30 watts that is rider and bike.
so for what you want a bike that will last you have just that . nothing wrong with a well built steel frame horses for courses.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
The Cervelo RS is their relaxed fit bike, not their racer. It may have PR 'pedigree' but its the R3/S3 frames the racers ride. And the FP2 is also a more relaxed geometry than their "racers" (Dogma), eg the head tube is 10mm longer on the 530size F2 v Dogma, so probably no surprise you found them a little relaxed for racing. Get your LBS to put you on a race geometry carbon bike, or try another shop if RS/FP2 is all they have.

brianf7 said:
Clearly you dont do a lot of hilly races and you want a bike to last 10 years then the steel or Ti frame is for you.
Carbon will last 2-3 years racing but then you wont want to drag the extra kgs in the steel bike up every hill. remember every 1 kg costs you 30 watts that is rider and bike.
so for what you want a bike that will last you have just that . nothing wrong with a well built steel frame horses for courses.

Steel bikes at the UCI minimum are common, easy and not expensive.

I have a Waterford on my floor as a demo bike with 32h wheels that weighs 15.9 pounds. Put on some tubulars and viola...less than 15...

Another who is stuck in the past about steel. Steel tubing makers have not been sitting on their hands during the last 3 frame material 'revolutions'. Steel is modern, loght, durable and it still rides like a dream..also repairable, not so fragile as carbon.

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
remember every 1 kg costs you 30 watts that is rider and bike.

wow, that doesn't sound right. Do you mean in an uphill sprint or in maintaining speed? For example, my 23 pound bike does cost me watts in an initial sprint, but there's now way it costs me 80 watts or whatever over someone on a 17 pound bike, especially once we're up to speed. I'd never be able to keep up with anyone, but I do.

This link contributes to my skepticism regarding the 30 watt figure:
http://www.wolfgang-menn.de/hourrec.htm

You have to follow the "Aerodynamics etc." tab and then select "hill climbing" from the drop down menu.

Anyway, it shows a kilo of extra weight only costing a few watts.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:

I have a Waterford on my floor as a demo bike with 32h wheels that weighs 15.9 pounds. Put on some tubulars and viola...less than 15...

Another who is stuck in the past about steel. Steel tubing makers have not been sitting on their hands during the last 3 frame material 'revolutions'. Steel is modern, loght, durable and it still rides like a dream..also repairable, not so fragile as carbon.

I couldn't agree more. I haven't found a better value and comfortable ride than my Columbus Spirit frame. Under 17lbs and 'only' Rival transmission with alloy bar, stem and post. There's no doubt in my mind that steel is alive and real.

Jul 8, 2009
www.edwardgtalbot.com
bc_hills said:
wow, that doesn't sound right. Do you mean in an uphill sprint or in maintaining speed? For example, my 23 pound bike does cost me watts in an initial sprint, but there's now way it costs me 80 watts or whatever over someone on a 17 pound bike, especially once we're up to speed. I'd never be able to keep up with anyone, but I do.

This link contributes to my skepticism regarding the 30 watt figure:
http://www.wolfgang-menn.de/hourrec.htm

You have to follow the "Aerodynamics etc." tab and then select "hill climbing" from the drop down menu.

Anyway, it shows a kilo of extra weight only costing a few watts.

Exactly right. If a 63kg on a 7kg bike is putting out 2100 watts on the climb, then he'd save 30 watts per kg. Actually, even that would be an big overestimate because it doesn't take into account rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag. If the rider is mortal, it's far less than 30 watts/kg.

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Go to a site like analytic cycling and plug in a few numbers.

80kg bike + rider, 2% grade, 8 m/s = 229.1 W
81kg, same parameters = 231.0 W

Difference = 1.9 Watts, A very very very long way from 30W

80kg, 5%, 8 m/s = 417.4 W
81kg, same parameters= 421.6 W

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
EatsFats said:
--- I consider myself fairly sensitive to my bike set up.---

1) Cervelo RS: Supposedly race pedigree, Paris-Roubaix winning bike, right?. Well, I found the default setup is veeery relaxed. ---snip---
2) Pinarello FP2 Carbon: Having said the RS seemed maybe too relaxed for
me, I bypassed a Look carbon which they said would be similar. I felt the Pinarello was a bit more "aggressive" as they said, but still not what I'm used to riding! ---snip---
3) Marinoni Piuma (steel!): Well, 2 guys there said it was worth a try. First thing I noted, the sharp pinging noises as sand hit the tubes. The default setup was much more to my liking, bar width, seat/handlebar difference was sort of like my Giant. ---snip---

Yes, just my opinion only, but I think people should really start ignoring the frame material, ignore the weight and just go for a test ride and let that be the deciding factor.

If you know you're sensitive to fit, do you think it's rational judging a bike based on a "default" setup that isn't the kind of setup you're looking for? When the bars are too narrow and too high, and the stem too short (or the frame perhaps too small)? You're not planning to buy a bike off-the-shelf and ride it without getting these things right (or are you?).

Learnings I would take away from your exercise:
1. Some carbon bikes are lighter and "snappier" than some steel bikes while still having a bump-compliant rear end.
2. SRAM, Campy and Shimano are different, some people prefer one over the others.
3. If a bike doesn't fit the way you want it to, it won't ride the way you want it to either.

By all means make the call based on a test ride, but unless you get all the test bikes properly set up first, you're judging the fit as much as the bike. I'm not suggesting a shop should swap in some wider bars just for a speculative test ride, but putting in a longer stem and/or flipping it to get the right length and drop should be easy enough.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
Interested to see if the OP feels if it was the fit or the actual bikes. I am looking for a new frame and it is getting more expensive to buy "race" geometry. I don`t need a 20cm headtube to be comfortable.

Also, the packaging of bikes with certain size stems, bars and cranks is another challenge. How can companies sell fits when they are so inflexible on components?

Maybe custom steel is the way to go - only problem is that I will have no money left for superlight wheels to get the weight down :mad:

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
dsut4392 said:
If you know you're sensitive to fit, do you think it's rational judging a bike based on a "default" setup that isn't the kind of setup you're looking for? ....
A good point. Maybe the OP didn't intend it this way, but it comes across as though he's trying a bike with a bar/stem/gruppo that he doesn't feel comfortable with and is using this experience to assess the frame design and/or material. OP - Try those same three frames with the same wheel set and a setup that suits you and you'll have a far better chance at evaluating the frame itself. Of course, maybe you'll find that throwing some upgraded parts on your old frame gives you the ride you like best. Have fun with it and good luck!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:

How does BB stiffness compare to carbon bikes? Carbon bikes have this "right now" feeling when accelerating.

richwagmn said:
How does BB stiffness compare to carbon bikes? Carbon bikes have this "right now" feeling when accelerating.

They do? I have many that come in that say this carbon or that carbon feels vague, like made out of wood. I have ridden others like Scott, Cervelo or Ridley that are so stiff I can't imagine riding them for 30 minutes let alone for a few hours.

The very fit woman that just rode our Waterford R-33 said it was the brightest, best riding frame she has ridden to date...after riding trekspecializedgiantfeltcerveloridleyscott......bikes......

Marketing has told people that carbon is this or that but it's subjective, 100%. Carbon isn't the 'answer' to anything just like steel isn't nor was aluminum nor is titanium.

Besides, why does a carbon frame made in Asia cost so much???

$4500 for a Cervelo or Merckx or Pinarello??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-Carbon-Bike-Bicycle-56cm-Road-Frame-Fork-/350458452583

Look familiar??

Nutz.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Black Dog said:
I call BS in this claim. Can you back it up? If I gain 10kg I loose 300 watts?

It's BS.

There are any number of explanations on the web on this matter.

Indeed, if you Google hard enough you might find a page where a cycling coach got one of his junior charges to repeatedly ride up Alpe D'Huez carrying ballast.

The results came out very close to what theoretical calculations (which you can do online at analyticcycling.com) would predict.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
brianf7 said:

There are plenty of 10 year old carbon bikes being raced today. Marinoni makes good bikes. I have owned 2. Italian style and craftsmanship. Still largely an in house builder too.

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Well, lessee, where to start...

I am most certainly not a racer and have no illusions about that. I think someone mentioned lack of hills? Hmmm... I think not the case. Although we may not have the Alps, this is no flatland here, there's hills everwhere. I have taken the old bike up the local mountains which are a mere half height of Alpe d'Huez... I seriously doubt I expended an extra 30-60W as many others have pointed out. It's much smaller than that. Of course, spend 4-5 hours in the hills over 3 weeks, then it starts to matter, but most of us do not do that.

It's also true that on a short test-ride, it's not exactly the same as a "perfectly" set up bike. I am sensitive to small changes in my bike setup (my point was that if the new bikes were that good, I would feel it), but that doesn't mean I can't adapt or "feel" the underlying potential either. For example, the RS cockpit was ridiculously short for me, so much so that to get the right length, it would have some crazy long stem, that's not fixable. The narrow bars are fixable. The Pinarello was a bit short, but nothing a different stem couldn't fix. (I haven't checked the official geometries, I'm just saying what I felt, and it was HUGE difference).

They all have different components but that's another point, could switching to "ideal" and preferred components make such a big difference as some may have indicated? If that's true, shouldn't I spend my time & $$$ upgrading my old frames ....?

Look, I have nothing against the new bikes. They ride great and they are better than what I ride. I would LOVE to get one. But as far as I can tell, it's no quantum leap above what was available a decade ago (which at that time, seemed to be a huge difference over what I had before then) as far as I can tell and carbon frames aren't the magic pill that many seem to make it out to be.

If I can't win Le Tour on my old bike, the new bikes aren't going to make much difference. I would still be lanterne rouge. That's all I'm saying... :)