• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The 2015 CQ game(s) namedropping threat

I hope this is a thread and not a threat but never mind;)
On a more serious note, I really struggle to find the most obvious pick for the game next year...
This year Boonen was always going to be the most picked rider but who will it be for 2015?
Cav?? Cheap, but there are a lot of younger sprinters around now...
Fatty??? Obviously got the talent, but will he keep his focus on cycling....
Dombrowski???? very popular at 97 points this year, now only costs 10.....
Froome????? 1300 points cheaper than 2013, but still over 1400 so surely not for everyone......

Two of the four mentioned above are in my first draft, but I'm sure there will be lots of changes until the final version is submitted.

Good luck to all, and enjoy the holidays coming up!!!

PS! One last namedropping; Sergio Henao at 92??? Not in my first draft but could be a game-winner if he has a normal healthy season???

I really don't want to namedrop, but I'd like a discussion about the merits of picking Boonen on the squad. If he can gain his 2012 form, he could just double his score, while the WC RR course suits him very much. What does everyone else think?

greenedge said:
I really don't want to namedrop, but I'd like a discussion about the merits of picking Boonen on the squad. If he can gain his 2012 form, he could just double his score, while the WC RR course suits him very much. What does everyone else think?

Personally I don't think he'll win anything big next year. Don't have any real evidence to support that other than he is only getting older and he hasn't been in super form the last 2 years. He could get better again but I don't know if that is enough...there are just to many other names that I think will manage to do better than him. Degenkolb has the potential to be stronger, Sagan is on a new team, Even Wiggo is pretty good when he puts his mind to something, of course Cancellara and SP will be there. As a team Etixx QS is going to have to support whoever can win. If they don't have faith in Boonen to beat all the riders mentioned above I could see them making him support Terpstra.

Even if he is almost as good as 2012 I doubt he will be as prolific. Not only are Degenkolb/Vanmarcke/Sagan proving themselves to be formidable on all terrain, he is also just as likely to get Devolder'd. Add that to the fact his average for the last 6-7 years is <1k and it's a pretty easy decision, unless you have a particular reason to be bullish about him in which case it's a good pick who only ~30% of other teams will have.

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Beside Fatty and Cav, I believe Ullisi might prove to be a very good 600-700 pick.However I'm not sure what's going on with his dopping problems. Is his case still investigated or he is ok for the next season?

Some other intersting names fopr me are Cunego and Voeckler(now that they will compete for PCT teams) and also some guys from Cult Energy team now that they are PCT too. I also think a particular guy from IAM will have a really good year at WT level and score like he used to do some years ago if he stays away from crashes.

Last but not least , am I the only one who thinks Dan Martin can score 2000+ points this year?

Oh, almost forgot! Is Sagan a good pick this year or too risky in your opinion?

ItalianGigolo said:
You have to risk to win a game:) And if you want to win a game you can't show your cards:)
However I don't think I will pick Sagan. He got so many points for 2nd places last year... He might reach a 2000 points if he's lucky, but you need to look for riders who will double your investment if you want to be in the top 10.

ItalianGigolo said:
Beside Fatty and Cav, I believe Ullisi might prove to be a very good 600-700 pick.However I'm not sure what's going on with his dopping problems. Is his case still investigated or he is ok for the next season?

the hearing was yesterday, but there is no decision yet, it has been postponed to January. And even if he gets cleared by the Swiss court, he might still have to face an appeal by the CAS. How long that would take and whether that would influence his score is a different story, but it's probably a risk not too many will take.

ItalianGigolo said:

Some other intersting names fopr me are Cunego and Voeckler(now that they will compete for PCT teams) and also some guys from Cult Energy team now that they are PCT too. I also think a particular guy from IAM will have a really good year at WT level and score like he used to do some years ago if he stays away from crashes.

Last but not least , am I the only one who thinks Dan Martin can score 2000+ points this year?

Seriously I think he falls to much...and who knows maybe one of those falls could end up being very serious....IMO he won't double from his current score.

All the (new) sprinters of MTN are quite interesting (Bos, Boassson Hagen, Farrar, Ciolek, Van Rensburg). Only question is, who will they ride for? It's a little gamble to pick the best one, but neither of them is too expensive and might get a few decent results with that train.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:

Tommeke is getting older, got some serious competition in his own squad (stybar, terpstra,...) and the young cobbles generation not with the steppers are on the rise (boom, vanmarcke, vanbilsen,...)

I will not pick him

GP Blanco said:
Simon Yates might be interesting. Showed some quality this year but he had also some injuries.

My first year doing the CQ game, and with very limited knowledge my picks for are based on

a) fanboyism
b) Riders who were injured for a lot of last year

Simon Yates and Ian Stannard fall into both categories

Was wondering whether Tim Wellens is worth the risk for the first? And Taylor Phinney for the second? Any news on his plans for 2015?

postmanhat said:
My first year doing the CQ game, and with very limited knowledge my picks for are based on

a) fanboyism
b) Riders who were injured for a lot of last year

Simon Yates and Ian Stannard fall into both categories

Was wondering whether Tim Wellens is worth the risk for the first? And Taylor Phinney for the second? Any news on his plans for 2015?

Good luck with your team!
Wellens; one of the best picks this year but needs to put in a spectacular season to be considered for 2015. Not on my longlist for the 2015 game even though I'm a big fan. Probably a better choice for the 2016 game;)
Phinney; the last I heared is that he will miss most of the spring season. Extremly cheap considering his potential, but of course risky as his injury might set him back for most of the season. However the Worlds is in USA next year and the route should be tailor made for young Phinney so he might be an excellent choice. Currently not in my team, but that might change during the coming week...

Cheers Vladimir. First time looking through cqranking, along with procyclingstats, very enlightening.

Great advice and have swapped Wellens for Adam Yates as a fanpick. Will stick with Phinney and hope his young bones heal quickly

Realised I haven't got a sprinter and probably should have? Viviani should do well I suppose if he becomes Sky's main man. Also toying with Kittel as a 1000 pick. Think he could easily beat that this year

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Just submitted my team, I'll tell a couple of riders I didn't pick this year. TJ Vangarden, after watching him last year I don't think he'll ever become a a 1600 - 2000 point guy good just won't ever get over the top.
Andrew Talansky another good guy, and was going good until he fell and dropped out of a race, wasn't the same rider after that.
I picked a classics rider, a couple of riders who should do good in the grand tours, and a couple of sprinters due to 1 guy being cheap this year. Good luck to all.

vladimir said:
Good luck with your team!
Wellens; one of the best picks this year but needs to put in a spectacular season to be considered for 2015. Not on my longlist for the 2015 game even though I'm a big fan. Probably a better choice for the 2016 game;)
Phinney; the last I heared is that he will miss most of the spring season. Extremly cheap considering his potential, but of course risky as his injury might set him back for most of the season. However the Worlds is in USA next year and the route should be tailor made for young Phinney so he might be an excellent choice. Currently not in my team, but that might change during the coming week...

I don't think TP is that cheap at all, for a man who's coming off that serious an injury and will miss half the season.

Worlds tt aint worth that much.

TRENDING THREADS