• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Belmont - 2015 Edition

Already feel sorry for American Pharoah, unfortunately the poor horse has no choice but to dope. And this is what pisses me off the most about animal racing/fights, they simply have no choice while us humans (even the dumbassed young teenagers) do. The animals just eat what they are given and have no choice about what they are being injected with.

Anyhoo, just wanted to voice my displeasure with horse racing (and all the doping of animals), don't think the poor pony will make it. (I just hope Pharoah, or any of the horses, don't end up braking all kinds of bones like Charismatic and Barbaro did years ago.)

I'd guess that doping has been part of horse racing for about as long as it has been in human sports, in general. Of the very first US Triple Crown winner, Sir Barton, it was said, "Racing lore, always more interesting than history, tells us that he raced on a good grade of cocaine, so he did not care, particularly, that his feet hurt."

http://articles.latimes.com/1987-06-04/sports/sp-4500_1_lasix

I've seen this, regarding Sir Barton, in more than one place. And racing horses on steroids hasn't even been a secret, it has been done openly.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Tricycle Rider said:
Already feel sorry for American Pharoah, unfortunately the poor horse has no choice but to dope. And this is what pisses me off the most about animal racing/fights, they simply have no choice while us humans (even the dumbassed young teenagers) do. The animals just eat what they are given and have no choice about what they are being injected with.

Anyhoo, just wanted to voice my displeasure with horse racing (and all the doping of animals), don't think the poor pony will make it. (I just hope Pharoah, or any of the horses, don't end up braking all kinds of bones like Charismatic and Barbaro did years ago.)

Yes! To all the above. And add Ruffian to the list (same track, not the Stakes, tho)
I grew up with a friend who was part of a harness racing dynasty and saw firsthand from an early age what REALLY went on in the stables. And other friends in different areas of the horse industry assure me that what was truly despicable then has only gotten worse. Sickeningly sad what we humans are capable of when it comes to our treatment of animals.
So, no, I will not be watching "the sport of kings" nor placing any bets this afternoon. May their industry wither and die!
I just hope no horses break down, no jocks are injured, and, if the Pharaoh does win, he avoids a fate like Alydar.

....and I don't think ALL forms of animal entertainment are inherently evil. A lot depends on the egos involved and, of course, the money at the root of it. (Trust me, Rookie is not doped and is enjoying himself immensely. :) )
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HqbVbPvlDoM

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Wow, just read the news that Bobby Baffert has his Triple Crown winner at last. Oh, the stories about that dude going all the way back to his days in Quarter Horses! Sheesh, what a guy.
I remembered this article and thought other clinicians might be interested in some background on this great sportsman.
The Baffert part starts mid-article. Some of the terminology will be familiar.
https://tuesdayshorse.wordpress.com/2014/05/01/horse-racing-in-america-a-spectacle-of-liars-dopers-and-cheaters-part-2/

Tyre Byter said:
Tricycle Rider said:
animal entertainment are inherently evil. A lot depends on the egos involved and, of course, the money at the root of it. (Trust me, Rookie is not doped and is enjoying himself immensely. :) )
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HqbVbPvlDoM

Doggie is wagging the tail throughout, so I suppose he'll be okay. (If it was me I'd say - ***, I'll do anything for that treat! ;))

Anyhoo, good for Pharoah, he managed to stay alive and intact. (Horse breeders will spends tons of money to get ahold of his sperm now.)

Unfortunately, another horse in a prior race at the Belmont that very same day did not make it... he had shattered his ankle and had to be euthanized.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/horseracing/belmont-stakes/helwan-euthanized-after-breakdown-at-belmont-park-1.10515360

This Lasix stuff they give to the race horses- it's supposed to stop the lungs from bleeding, as I understand it. It's very legal, but how is this even remotely ethical toward the animal?

I had been involved in the Horse Racing Industry as an owner and trainer for several years in the past. I have won races at Belmont, Aqueduct, Saratoga, Hialeah, Gulfstream, Calder, Keeneland as well as shitty tracks in Mi and Ohio.
Horses are routinely doped with Morphine, EPO, Testosterone, Cotizone, Amphetamines, Depressants, Ritalin, You name it. I have seen Snake venom injecte into feet, cut nerves, as well as IV's of bleach and vodka. No Lie. The life of the race horses looks as if it is one of luxury and pampering, that is so far from the truth as to be ridiculous.
Horses are only useful as long as they can bring in a paycheck and when they get slower and sore they are dropped down in class. Then to another lower track until they may someday end up in a *** track in West Virginia. End of the line. Then they are dog food unless they had almost mercifull broke a leg before going there.
I got out of the business 20 years ago realizing it was impossible to make money racing horses clean. Hell, the Race directors sometimes encouraged doping to fill racing cards. Eventhough I love my horses, I knew they would end up the same and it killed me. I could not take the hearbreak of know their future so I got out of it. The trainers and owners now don't like the horses, they are only dollars to make or good bye. It is so sad.
Horses are absolutely beautiful, stunning and majestic animals. They all have their own personalities that make them a joy. They are loyal, charismatic and have long memories.Sometimes unfortunately. I still have one retired horses my daughter now cares for and just a pet and not ridden.
I now spend time demonstrating at race tracks, circuses, rodeos or anywhere animals are used for entertainment. Don't be fooled, they are all abused to the point of maiming and even death.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Lasix, the multipurpose drug: treats bleeders, probably enhances performance, and is a very effective masking agent. What's not to like about that? It's so pervasive I don't think you could find enough horses to hold a meet if you excluded the ones on lasix. Attempts to ban it in this country have been met with a resounding silence. Ethics? No, it's all about dirty money and we haven't mentioned the elephant in the room, organized crime.

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
veganrob said:
I had been involved in the Horse Racing Industry as an owner and trainer for several years in the past. I have won races at Belmont, Aqueduct, Saratoga, Hialeah, Gulfstream, Calder, Keeneland as well as shitty tracks in Mi and Ohio.
Horses are routinely doped with Morphine, EPO, Testosterone, Cotizone, Amphetamines, Depressants, Ritalin, You name it. I have seen Snake venom injecte into feet, cut nerves, as well as IV's of bleach and vodka. No Lie. The life of the race horses looks as if it is one of luxury and pampering, that is so far from the truth as to be ridiculous.
Horses are only useful as long as they can bring in a paycheck and when they get slower and sore they are dropped down in class. Then to another lower track until they may someday end up in a **** track in West Virginia. End of the line. Then they are dog food unless they had almost mercifull broke a leg before going there.
I got out of the business 20 years ago realizing it was impossible to make money racing horses clean. Hell, the Race directors sometimes encouraged doping to fill racing cards. Eventhough I love my horses, I knew they would end up the same and it killed me. I could not take the hearbreak of know their future so I got out of it. The trainers and owners now don't like the horses, they are only dollars to make or good bye. It is so sad.
Horses are absolutely beautiful, stunning and majestic animals. They all have their own personalities that make them a joy. They are loyal, charismatic and have long memories.Sometimes unfortunately. I still have one retired horses my daughter now cares for and just a pet and not ridden.
I now spend time demonstrating at race tracks, circuses, rodeos or anywhere animals are used for entertainment. Don't be fooled, they are all abused to the point of maiming and even death.

Chapeau
VERY tough decision to have to make.

TRENDING THREADS