• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The best one week stage racers of the 21st century

Who is the best One Week stage racer in the 21st Century ?

• Alberto Contador

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Richie Porte

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Primoz Roglic

Votes: 31 55.4%
  • Andreas Klöden

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Cadel Evans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chris Froome

• Nairo Quintana

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Simon Spilak

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Rui Costa

• Total voters
Mar 31, 2022
Visit site
How would you rank the top 5 one week stage racers since 2000 (I know the 21st century officialy started in 2001) ?
In terms of accomplishments, number/diversity/prestige of races won, strength of field beaten and dominance. Primarily taking into account GC classification, and using stage wins as a tie breaker.

My ranking :

1. Richie Porte
  2. Primoz Roglic
  3. Alberto Contador
  4. Nairo Quintana
  5. Andreas Klöden
Honorable mentions : Alejandro Valverde, Chris Froome, Alexandre Vinokourov, Bradley Wiggins, Slovenian Remco Evenepoel

Explanations :

-It was difficult choosing between Porte and Roglic. If Roglic wins Iztulia this week, he migt well surpass Porte.
-Contador does not have the best diversity of races won, but the sheer amount of wins, and the dominance in some of those races made him climb to the podium.
-Valverde could have been as high as number 4, but I finally decided to drop him to sixth, in order to take into account the better diversity of Quintana and Klöden's palmares.
-Chris Froome was dominant and won a lot, but he suffers from a lack of diversity in his palmares (only Romandie and Dauphiné wins).

Potential entries in the future :

Pogacar, Adam Yates, Remco Evenepoel, Daniel Felipe Martinez, Richard Carapaz

EDIT : Poll added

Last edited:
How would you rank the top 5 one week stage racers since 2000 (I know the 21st century officialy started in 2001) ?
In terms of accomplishments, number/diversity/prestige of races won, strength of field beaten and dominance. Primarily taking into account GC classification, and using stage wins as a tie breaker.

My ranking :

1. Richie Porte
  2. Primoz Roglic
  3. Alberto Contador
  4. Nairo Quintana
  5. Andreas Klöden
Honorable mentions : Alejandro Valverde, Chris Froome, Alexandre Vinokourov, Bradley Wiggins, Slovenian Remco Evenepoel

Explanations :

-It was difficult choosing between Porte and Roglic. If Roglic wins Iztulia this week, he migt well surpass Porte.
-Contador does not have the best diversity of races won, but the sheer amount of wins, and the dominance in some of those races made him climb to the podium.
-Valverde could have been as high as number 4, but I finally decided to drop him to sixth, in order to take into account the better diversity of Quintana and Klöden's palmares.
-Chris Froome was dominant and won a lot, but he suffers from a lack of diversity in his palmares (only Romandie and Dauphiné wins).

Looking at your post made me realize how special Primoz Roglic his dominance in the one week WT races over the past season is.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Either you put great weight on minor races like Down Under, or you put very great weight on diversity of wins (over number of wins and placings).

A983uH9.png

xbCmtYq.png

And I can't see how "prestige of races won, strength of field beaten and dominance" would favour Porte over Contador.

Stage winsContadorPorte
Paris - Nice55
Tirreno - Adriatico20
Volta a Catalunya0 (1)0
Itzulia Basque Country71
Tour de Romandie21
Dauphiné Libéré31
Tour de Suisse10

Last edited:

My ranking :

1. Richie Porte
  2. Primoz Roglic
  3. Alberto Contador
  4. Nairo Quintana
  5. Andreas Klöden

Explanations :

Who is Slovenian Remco Evenepoel? Špilak?

• Wow
Mar 31, 2022
Visit site
Either you put great weight on minor races like Down Under, or you put very great weight on diversity of wins (over number of wins and placings).

A983uH9.png

xbCmtYq.png

And I can't see how "prestige of races won, strength of field beaten and dominance" would favour Porte over Contador.

Stage winsContadorPorte
Paris - Nice55
Tirreno - Adriatico20
Volta a Catalunya0 (1)0
Itzulia Basque Country71
Tour de Romandie21
Dauphiné Libéré31
Tour de Suisse10

Maybe I put too much weight on diversity of wins. For sure Contador's placings and stage wins far outweigh Porte's.
Where would you put Porte ? 3rd begind Contador and Roglic ?

At work on lunch so not enough time to post a full list but my weighting would be focussed on the records in PN, TA, TdS, CdD primarily with weight of results in other races and head to head records used more as tiebreakers between riders along with an assessment of which rider would win based on career peak form.

• Wow

A983uH9.png

xbCmtYq.png

Stage winsContadorPorte
Paris - Nice55
Tirreno - Adriatico20
Volta a Catalunya0 (1)0
Itzulia Basque Country71
Tour de Romandie21
Dauphiné Libéré31
Tour de Suisse10
Contaador can't be taken seriously as the best when he didn't win Catalunya, Romandie, Dauphine or Suisse

• Wow
At work on lunch so not enough time to post a full list but my weighting would be focussed on the records in PN, TA, TdS, CdD primarily with weight of results in other races and head to head records used more as tiebreakers between riders along with an assessment of which rider would win based on career peak form.
How is Tirreno in a different category to Itzulia?! The other three at least makes sense for historical arguments (not so much for the recent years).

Mar 31, 2022
Visit site
I'm looking forward to seeing your ranking, but to me relegating Catalunya, Iztulia and Romandie as tiebreakers seems far-fetched. I think spanish riders tend to value their home races more than Tirreno or Suisse, so it would hurt Contador or Valverde too much, riders who should stay in this conversation, imo.

Iztulia especially in recent years has been one of the most competitive week long race, with very good startlist quality.

Because they are two matching sets of races at the same calendar slot. Itzulia is a great race but its one a lot more riders who could do well skip to focus on other goals at least in the 21st century.
I disagree. With the pairings PN - TA and CdD - TdS being so close together you always have the best GC riders choosing between twe two races, so the GC strength is somewhat split in half. Itzulia on the other end stands alone in the calendar, between the cobbled classics and the Ardenness. Almost all the best GC riders can take part in the race, usually only the ones targeting hard the Giro are missing.

We've had some epic battles in the last decade between some of the GC legends Contador, Valverde, Purito, Špilak, Porte, Quintana. Last year we had a head to head battle between the two best GC riders of this generation. Not sure what race it could have been said the same about in this century. I remember Froome vs Contador in Dauphine 2014, but not many more.

I disagree. With the pairings PN - TA and CdD - TdS being so close together you always have the best GC riders choosing between twe two races, so the GC strength is somewhat split in half. Itzulia on the other end stands alone in the calendar, between the cobbled classics and the Ardenness. Almost all the best GC riders can take part in the race, usually only the ones targeting hard the Giro are missing.

We've had some epic battles in the last decade between some of the GC legends Contador, Valverde, Purito, Špilak, Porte, Quintana. Last year we had a head to head battle between the two best GC riders of this generation. Not sure what race it could have been said the same about in this century. I remember Froome vs Contador in Dauphine 2014, but not many more.
Tirreno 2013 had Nibali vs Contador vs Froome.

TRENDING THREADS