• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Brent Van Moer is the new Thomas De Gendt thread

Is he any good at climbing?

I don't know much about Van Moer but I've always thought of him as someone between Lampaert and Campenaerts- not really someone suited to do a de Gendt on the Stelvio if that's what you were implying.

Well, he is the current KoM in the Dauphiné, isn't he?
He's also very good at sprinting btw, going by that logic ;-)

Jokes aside, no I don't actually think he's that good a climber. Too heavy also. He has the rouleur/TT skills of De Gendt, and the "panache", but I don't see him winning a stage on the Stelvio or Ventoux.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Is he any good at climbing?

I don't know much about Van Moer but I've always thought of him as someone between Lampaert and Campenaerts- not really someone suited to do a de Gendt on the Stelvio if that's what you were implying.
Not really. But probably better than most guys of his size/weight. Nearly as tall/heavy as Ganna. But i remember him getting over hills and mediocre climbs relatively easily at the U23.

Imho, he's nothing like De Gendt. He's much more of a grinder. They both have a big engine, decent TT and go stagehunting. That's probably where the comparison ends. De Gendt could really have gone for a GC career (of not in GT, than definitely in 1 week races, with his TT and punch), Van Moer doesn't climb nearly well enough for that.

I think he's more like a Jens Voigt than De Gendt. As a type of rider i mean.

Last edited:
Not really. But probably better than most guys of his size/weight. Nearly as tall/heavy as Ganna. But i remember him getting over hills and mediocre climbs relatively easily at the U23.

Imho, he's nothing like De Gendt. He's much more of a grinder. They both have a big engine, decent TT and go stagehunting. That's probably where the comparison ends. De Gendt could really have gone for a GC career (of not in GT, than definitely in 1 week races, with his TT and punch), Van Moer doesn't climb nearly well enough for that.

I think he's more like a Jens Voigt than De Gendt. As a type of rider i mean.
If he turns out to be a Rettenbachferner-type Jens Voigt, we may indeed be looking at a future GC contender for 1-week races 8)

TRENDING THREADS