• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Dance on Video - how to ride in traffic

I watched about half, and there's one thing that was missing - they never checked behind them when looking to move across - that's just foolish.

I often put myself out there in lanes, just basically using more of the lane as I'm entitled to do - staying out of doorzones or setting up for right-hand turns (UK) well early, and generally making sure I can be seen. I'll happily move through lanes when on multi-lane roundabouts to set up my needed exit lane and generally move with the traffic rather than try and fight across it. I don't road hog, and always give any motorist who slows up for me a thankyou wave.

RedheadDane said:
Well... I can see how people suddenly opening car doors can be a risk, but isn't it just as much the people inside the cars task to check?

sure, but do you trust motorists not to do stupid things?

RedheadDane said:
Also I guess I'm lucky than I mostly is on the inside of eventually parked cars...

pardon? are you saying that you ride inside the cars?

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I've been looking for a good video to share with my kids. This wasn't it. I would never encourage my kids to ride out and claim a central or lefthand lane like they did endlessly in their video. It was also poorly shot, which made it hard to work out where they were going and why they were making the choices they did.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Most if that is true, but I only take the lane when there is no bike lane and I'm moving at a good clip, if I'm tired or just cruising I get to the right, no sense in being a nuisance. Then if you're at an intersection going straight across leave room for cars turning right to go by, buys major car/bike cooperation points, most sit in the bike lane at red lights keeping cars from turning right or making it an issue once it does turn green as they are already inching over past you on your left to make a right, bad situation. Instead move to the middle of the right most lane (going straight) or left-ish of it to allow cars to turn right on red. Heck I know most cars don't even do that but doesn't mean we can't earn some bonus points in traffic by being courteous on that one.

Karma Points.

Archibald said:
I watched about half, and there's one thing that was missing - they never checked behind them when looking to move across - that's just foolish.
What are you talking about? The only lateral move in the first half is at about :30 - and there are several look backs done there.

But I agree moving without first looking back would be foolish.

Archibald said:
I often put myself out there in lanes, just basically using more of the lane as I'm entitled to do - staying out of doorzones or setting up for right-hand turns (UK) well early, and generally making sure I can be seen. I'll happily move through lanes when on multi-lane roundabouts to set up my needed exit lane and generally move with the traffic rather than try and fight across it. I don't road hog, and always give any motorist who slows up for me a thankyou wave.
I'm not sure if you're saying how you ride is the same or different from what is depicted in the video. Did you see anything that you would characterize as "fighting across [traffic]" in the video?

Andrichuk said:
I would never take up a whole lane to myself or take up the left lane for 20 seconds plus before the turning lane even starts.
Why would never take up a whole lane to yourself? What if the lane is too narrow to be safely shared side-by-side with a car, as are the lanes in this video, and as left lanes usually are? Why would you want to encourage motorists to squeeze in there next to you when they will need to encroach in the adjacent lane in order to safely pass, and so need that lane to be clear, and so might as well plan to not pass until the adjacent lane is clear, and use it fully?

Ninety5rpm said:
What are you talking about? The only lateral move in the first half is at about :30 - and there are several look backs done there.

But I agree moving without first looking back would be foolish.

i didn't notice any - I'm no film reviewer so wasn't scutinising the vid. it's simply what I noticed.
I always look back - constantly - and judge the situation on it's merits as to whether to stay out wide or move in a little.

Ninety5rpm said:
I'm not sure if you're saying how you ride is the same or different from what is depicted in the video. Did you see anything that you would characterize as "fighting across [traffic]" in the video?
just describing what I do - not criticising the video. just sharing what I do. i set up for "cross traffic turns" early so as to avoid needing to fight across traffic, just not as early as the vid appears to depict.
And no, I didn't see any fighting across traffic in the vid - isn't it about avoiding having to do that too?

Ninety5rpm said:
Why would never take up a whole lane to yourself? What if the lane is too narrow to be safely shared side-by-side with a car, as are the lanes in this video, and as left lanes usually are? Why would you want to encourage motorists to squeeze in there next to you when they will need to encroach in the adjacent lane in order to safely pass, and so need that lane to be clear, and so might as well plan to not pass until the adjacent lane is clear, and use it fully?

Its called "sharing the road". I'm not into all this critical mass "take over the road" crap. I sit out further than is "conventional thinking" so as to be seen/noticed, but I won't road hog. I'll pull in to make it easier for a car to pass, but still keep myself safe.

Take your too narrow lane: I'll not sit out in the middle of it. I will hold my ground in it, sure, but I'm not going to be a pain-in-the-ar$e to any passing motorist. It's just like corking.
Its Horses for courses and i'll make a judgement of safety vs courtesy as the moment warrants. This is by no means a concrete "do it this way everytime". Its possible to be both safe and not p*ss motorists off. The less angry motorists the better for all our safety...

Archibald said:
i didn't notice any - I'm no film reviewer so wasn't scutinising the vid. it's simply what I noticed.
I always look back - constantly - and judge the situation on it's merits as to whether to stay out wide or move in a little.

just describing what I do - not criticising the video. just sharing what I do. i set up for "cross traffic turns" early so as to avoid needing to fight across traffic, just not as early as the vid appears to depict.
And no, I didn't see any fighting across traffic in the vid - isn't it about avoiding having to do that too?

Its called "sharing the road". I'm not into all this critical mass "take over the road" crap. I sit out further than is "conventional thinking" so as to be seen/noticed, but I won't road hog. I'll pull in to make it easier for a car to pass, but still keep myself safe.

Take your too narrow lane: I'll not sit out in the middle of it. I will hold my ground in it, sure, but I'm not going to be a pain-in-the-ar$e to any passing motorist. It's just like corking.
Its Horses for courses and i'll make a judgement of safety vs courtesy as the moment warrants. This is by no means a concrete "do it this way everytime". Its possible to be both safe and not p*ss motorists off. The less angry motorists the better for all our safety...
The reason I like videos is because discussions about lane positioning are subject to so much misunderstanding, and I think some of that is going on here. Comments about specific scenes in the the video are probably less likely to be misunderstood.

First, I think critical mass in general, and corking in particular, does a terrible disservice to cyclists.

However, clearly, safely, courteously and legally controlling a narrow lane because safe within-lane passing is not possible is something completely different. Sure, if the adjacent lane is clear and it's safe and reasonable to temporarily move aside in order to allow for a straddle lane pass, I might indeed move aside. But I won't stay there because that leaves the impression that safely passing without encroaching on the adjacent lane is possible, and encourages close passes and other dangerous behavior.

Assertive lane positioning is not about being a pain or needlessly asserting our rights. It's about riding in a safe, legal and courteous manner. In this case, when motorists need to change lanes to pass, it's only courteous to help them be aware of this sooner rather than later, and there is no more effective way to broadcast this information sooner than via assertive lane positioning.

Steampunk said:
I've been looking for a good video to share with my kids. This wasn't it. I would never encourage my kids to ride out and claim a central or lefthand lane like they did endlessly in their video. It was also poorly shot, which made it hard to work out where they were going and why they were making the choices they did.
That's exactly how I've been teaching my daughter to ride since she was 8 years old.

The reasons for the choices they made, particularly when coupled with the captions, seemed obvious to me, especially considering how narrow the lanes are there - no room for safe within-lane passing of cyclists by motorists no matter where the cyclist is positioned.

If you have any questions about choices, etc., post them here or, even better, at the original blog.

Further, as the title suggests, it's about being the lead partner in the dance.

That is, instead of using space left over and unused by motorists (and being screwed when that's none or very little), it's about taking the initiative and encouraging the motorists to follow your lead.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Telling cyclists to stand out from the side of the road and take the entire lane when appropriate is only 1/2 the battle IMO. Cyclists also need to explain the safety reasons for this road position to motorists, otherwise motorists are going to think cyclists are just rude road hogs.....and angry motorists are dangerous.

Here's an article about a bus driver education project that might interest some. http://www.vorb.org.nz/bus-drivers-try-velo-commute-t107045.html

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I am with you there

Also there is no thought of G turns, at a controlled intersection (sometimes even uncontrolled) they are your friend ;-)

TrishaStyles

BANNED
Jun 4, 2010
www.missouri-acres.com
I often put myself out there in lanes, just basically using more of the lane as I'm entitled to do - staying out of doorzones or setting up for right-hand turns (UK) well early, and generally making sure I can be seen.

I Watch Cycling In July said:
Telling cyclists to stand out from the side of the road and take the entire lane when appropriate is only 1/2 the battle IMO. Cyclists also need to explain the safety reasons for this road position to motorists, otherwise motorists are going to think cyclists are just rude road hogs.....and angry motorists are dangerous.

Here's an article about a bus driver education project that might interest some. http://www.vorb.org.nz/bus-drivers-try-velo-commute-t107045.html
I think getting cyclists to ride more assertively is much more than half the battle, probably over 90%, perhaps depending some on what you call "the battle".

I say probably over 90% because no matter where I ride that way, and everybody I know who rides that way all over the country, including those in the video I posted from Orlando, the experience with motorists is much better than riding in any alternative. So worse case it's much better than the status quo. If you also add a rearview mirror to the mix so you can monitor behavior behind you, and catch and neutralize potential road rage long before it happens, you're really golden.

TRENDING THREADS