• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Is Marc Soler the Next Great Spanish Climber Thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If you can prove that UAE didn't took 42s from Soler, i.e., that he himself didn't fade like he always does, that could arguably be discussed.
I already explained to you in the Catalunya topic, that doesn't even matter. They chased him. There was no reason to other than trying to screw him out of a podium spot for Almeida. If you want to believe he was going to lose enough time anyway, then there was even less reason to chase, because there was no other rider to chase anymore. Only Evenepoel and Roglic were ahead and even catching them, wasn't going to matter.

That matters because it goes against the narrative that Soler just lost 3rd place because of UAE. Which is just plain false.

But if that's your take, I just to want to add that he had it coming. If you are careless about your team mates, why shouldn't they? Being screwed over contains an element of surprise on the basis of there being an agreement that is broken. Soler plays his own game with his own rules, so being "screwed" doesn't even apply.

Still waiting for UAE to cost him his best-ever GT GC placing by chasing him down for no reason again.

In all seriousness, he has ridden a very strong and smart race so far. Usually the kind of terrain that we're getting in the Pyrenees in particular isn't his forte but then again this is probably the best he's ever looked in a GT and he has a nice buffer over most of the other GC riders. 5-8 come Madrid seems doable from here, and taking red tomorrow would be a nice and very realistic bonus.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Will he continue to ride his own race when he drops down in GC below both Ayuso and Almeida?
I saw an interview yesterday after the stage with a dude on the rollers who looked like him. He said that he has two teammates who have been on the podium of their last GTs, are more consistent than him and are ahead of him in the team hierarchy. But I'm not sure he was the same dude we see racing on the bike.

TRENDING THREADS