• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "MVP" Mathieu Van der Poel Road Discussion Thread

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jaylew said:
Awesome! He is just so talented. Already been a world champion in CX. I honestly think he could potentially become world champion in road or mtb if he decided to focus strictly on one discipline.
Still some doubt whether he'll ever go road full time. In a recent interview he stated that he just finds it so damn boring. He wants to race, have fun and enjoy himself. He used Sagan as an example, who, according to Mathieu, has the same 'problem' of also finding it too boring. I do hope that this national title pushes him a little closer to a road career, but MTB and cyclocross are the things he enjoys the most. Doesn't have to go road to make a few bucks either, as he already has a nice contract as it is.

Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
jmdirt said:
The kid is a freak! I'm glad that he is trying to keep it fun by racing what he wants, but the big money may draw him to the road.
the thing is corendon pays him really well and he says he doubts any road team would pay him twice as much as he earns now.

I think he's already earning 1 mill a year
He could make $2 mil, and with some results $4 mil on the road. So as a fan of racing, I'd like to see him keep racing dirt, but if I was his financial planner I'd be pushing him to the protour.

jmdirt said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
jmdirt said:
The kid is a freak! I'm glad that he is trying to keep it fun by racing what he wants, but the big money may draw him to the road.
the thing is corendon pays him really well and he says he doubts any road team would pay him twice as much as he earns now.

He could make $2 mil, and with some results $4 mil on the road. So as a fan of racing, I'd like to see him keep racing dirt, but if I was his financial planner I'd be pushing him to the protour.
This is just looking at this raw salary with Corendon. He receives a shitload of starting money too, except for the World Cup races. Especially now that his biggest rival is riding less and less crosses and is *this* close to going to the road.

DNP-Old said:
jmdirt said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
jmdirt said:

This is just looking at this raw salary with Corendon. He receives a shitload of starting money too, except for the World Cup races. Especially now that his biggest rival is riding less and less crosses and is *this* close to going to the road.

WVA switching to a primarily road racing focus would in the medium term tend to reduce MVP’s earnings in cross rather than inflate them. Big rivalries breed big bucks, predictable individual dominance gradually produces boredom.

But the broader point is true. Being king of cross is a good earner. It’s not like being a trackie, bmxer, mtber etc, where money even for the best is low by road racing standards.

Re:

Ricco' said:
Just for curiosity, is there any data regarding Schurter's (or Absalon's back in the time) income compared to a dominant crosser or to an average good road racer?
After his dominant run last year, I read that with all income he makes around $2 mil this year (I don't know what currency that was listed in though...and I don't remember the source so?).

One of the young guns (Gaze or Cooper maybe) said that they don't have to pay for anything so they can live on almost no income. :lol:

DNP-Old said:
jmdirt said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
jmdirt said:

No start money next year...

TRENDING THREADS