• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The official Egan Bernal is the new Egan Bernal thread

Okay we like hyping so here we go! As Bernal is much more talented then all those other guys we cannot compare him to anyone but himself!
One of the youngest pro's in the peloton hasnt done more then 30 official road races in his life and already got a top 10 result in the 4th stage of the first pro race he has done. His test results are through the roof, besides that he seems like a really nice guy (I had a little chat with him).

Egan Bernal
egan-bernal.jpg

egan bernalCurrent team: Androni Giocattoli – Sidermec
Date of Birth: 13/01/1997
Born in: Zipaquira (Cundinamarca)

Egan Bernal is another interesting young Colombian cycling pro. I am sure not many cycling fans had heard about this rider before he joined Androni Giocattoli – Sidermec, this is pretty logical as he has barely done any racing on the road.
No doubt Bernal started cycling because of his dad German Bernal who was a very good bike rider himself. When Egan was 8 years old he started racing his mountain bike and in 2015 he started picking up his road bike a little more as Bernal had always dreamed of becoming a professional road cyclist.
In both the U17 and U19 ranks Bernal took a lot of big wins on the MTB, both in national and international races. Unfortunately Bernal was not able to win the biggest of them all as he finished 2nd in the 2014 Junior MTB World Championships and took bronze in the 2015 Junior MTB World Championships.

In 2015 Bernal started to do some road races as he won the only road race he did in Italy (Sognando Il Giro delle Fiandre), a very hard one day race where he arrived solo and put minutes in most of the field.
Egan also participated in 1 Colombian stage race the Clasica Juventudes Cajica, he started the race with a 9th place in the opening stage. The 2nd stage was the queenstage where nobody was able to follow Egan Bernal as he took a brilliant solo victory + the race lead. In the 3rd stage Bernal had no troubles holding on to his lead as finished safely in the front group of 14 riders.

Egan-Bernal-Sognando-Il-Giro-delle-Fiandre.jpg

For the 2016 season Egan Bernal got signed by Androni Sidermec, this came as a huge surprise for most (all?) road cycling fans as he was a big unknown. Androni had three main reasons to sign the Colombian talents
  1. He had some great results on the mountainbike.
  2. In the few races he did on the road he made a big impression
  3. His test results were insanely good for such a young boy (for example a VO2Max of 88.8!)
Still signing a 18 year old rider who has barely any experience on the road looks risky but it seems like Androni did their homework. The team has a lot of confidence in their young diamond and gave him a 4 year contract (though the team doesn’t have certainty to exist for that long). Michele Bartoli will closely work with Bernal and they have good hopes he is a future star in the sport.

Bernal-wins-the-queensage-of-the-Tour-of-Bihor-2017-ahead-of-teammate-Rodolfo-Torres.jpg

Egan Bernal started his 2016 season for Androni in La Mediterranneenne, he went into this race with almost no road race experience and obviously not being used to the size and the speed of the pro peloton (not even to the U23 peloton as he went straight from the juniors to the pro’s). Bernal lost a little bit of time in the opening team time trial and the flat 2nd stage, but adapted very quickly to the pro level. He started to show his talent in the 3rd stage where he finished 29th after a strong ride. In the 4th and final stage he was even more impressive and finished 10th, this resulted in a final 18th place in the final GC and a 4th place in the Youth Classification, a great pro debut!

Egan Bernal is best in the mountains but is also explosive (that’s what you get from a Mountain bike background) and seems to have a very bright future ahead of him. Most of the talented cyclists don’t turn pro before doing over 200 road races and being in the U23 category for three years, but Bernal is already showing he can get results among the pro’s at this age and he is doing it with almost no racing experience. His test results are already better then the results of most of the top guys in the sport so don’t be surprised if he starts getting good results and makes it to the podium in some races this year despite his young age.
The next race on Bernal his schedule is the Tour de Langkawi but Bernal told us that is not certain yet and he might ride the Tour du Haut Var instead, whatever he is going to ride make sure you follow this rider and see him reach the top of the sport!

Most important results for Bernal so far:
4th La Mediterraneenne – Youth Classification – Road
10th La Mediterraneenne – Stage 4 – Road
18th La Mediterraneenne – GC – Road

1st Sognando Il Giro delle Fiandre – Road
1st Clasica Juventudes Cajica – GC – Road
1st Clasica Juventudes Cajica – Stage 2 – Road
1st San Dimas (California, USA) MTB
1st Minas Gerais (Acre, Brasil) MTB
1st Cartago (Cartago, Costa Rica) MTB
3rd Junior World Championship MTB
9th Clasica Juventudes Cajica – Stage 1 – Road
10th Clasica Juventudes Cajica – Stage 3 – Road

2nd Junior World Championship MTB
3rd Junior American Continental Championship MTB

9th Vuelta del Futuro – Stage 3 – Road
22 Vuelta del Futuro GC – Road

https://www.eganbernalnews.com/egan-bernal-biography/

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm also on the hype train.
Bernal, Hernan Aguirre and Daniel Felipe Martinez could be the next generation of great Colombian climbers.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I'm also on the hype train.
Bernal, Hernan Aguirre and Daniel Felipe Martinez could be the next generation of great Colombian climbers.

You could also add Miguel Florez and Jorge Ivan Gomez (both frmo 1996 so same as Martinez) and maybe Ivan Sosa (1997). Those 6 guys combined with Lopez, Quintana etc should give us plenty entertainment from Colombia in the mountains in the years to come!

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Re:

the asian said:
Great to see another super talented young Colombian.

May they dominate Road Cycling for years to come !

Even some years ago there were the same sensation: n quintana, r uran, henao, betancur and duarte the big five, and others talented climbers growing , chaves, atapuma, pantano, beltran...

then duarte and betancourt failed from the motivation standpoint, sergio henao had a terrible crash and lost a season ( and may be sky is not the right place to develop , if you are colombian..),esteban chaves fell and lost an entire season and he had to undergo a long recuperation process, atapuma broke his femur, beltran failed, arredondo was able to rise to WT level but he has to confirm that he has the mentality and the work ethic to resist in a big team...

today, again , there is a lot of talent growing, superman lopez, gaviria, egan and many others.
we have to wait and give them time to grow from a physical and psychological standpoint.

egan in one year is making transition from Mountain bike to road, from junior to professional ( skipping completely the u 23 rank) , from colombia to europe.... don' t you think we have to let him some time to arrange all these changes ?
he was born in 1997 and he has to adapt to new kind of competition, new level of competition, new alimentation, new language and habits and we can go on..

Re:

DNP-Old said:
He will start in the Strade Bianche on Saturday. Course should fit him pretty well, given his background.

Ye the course should suit him very very well! I think he can win this race in a few years time, for this year he should just be getting some experience and it will be the first time riding in a really high quality peloton for him.

Nice avatar btw :)

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I"ll also be following his season. I have sign him for a cycling game after reading his story.

It appers he was taken out of Strade Bianche. He is scheduled to race GP Industria & Artigianato instead

Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Joining the hype train. Good result today. This guy is gonna be huge.

Considering his nationality, I rather doubt that. :p
But I'm sure he'll be a superb rider.

Like the title of this thread, btw. Never really liked the [x rider] is the new [y rider] way of thinking. Let the young guys be themselves, they don't need to be anyone else.

Any highlights from yesterday? Would love to see his performance.

Will he do Coppi e Battali? Should suit him. Also looking forward to see him in Trentino. He is a 'pure' climber, right? Although he is likely better suited to the shorter, punchier climbs now I would imagine, as mountainbiking requires abilities in high intensity efforts rather than endurance.

Re:

Bushman said:
Any highlights from yesterday? Would love to see his performance.

Will he do Coppi e Battali? Should suit him. Also looking forward to see him in Trentino. He is a 'pure' climber, right? Although he is likely better suited to the shorter, punchier climbs now I would imagine, as mountainbiking requires abilities in high intensity efforts rather than endurance.

Race schedule unknown: Egan Arley Bernal ‏@Eganbernal 24 u24 uur geleden
@CyclingUptodate thanks!! I don't know yet. when I know I say you

The I dont know yet part is about what his next race is going to be.