• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Real Football Thread

So, any football fans here? My favourite club is Feyenoord (Holland). They peform bad last years (financial problems). Also I follow the English and Spanish competition and several other European ones (Italy, Germany; Belgium, France a bit).

Transfer deadline is tonight and it's always very confusing. I mean look at this page
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9575900.stm
and that are only rumours about the Premier League, and a selection of it.

My club (Feyenoord) sold Fer today for +5 million euro's. He had only 1 year contract so it's a pretty good deal. It's gonna be a hard season for us now, but we need the money :(

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
l.Harm said:
So, any football fans here? My favourite club is Feyenoord (Holland). They peform bad last years (financial problems). Also I follow the English and Spanish competition and several other European ones (Italy, Germany; Belgium, France a bit).

Transfer deadline is tonight and it's always very confusing. I mean look at this page
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9575900.stm
and that are only rumours about the Premier League, and a selection of it.

My club (Feyenoord) sold Fer today for +5 million euro's. He had only 1 year contract so it's a pretty good deal. It's gonna be a hard season for us now, but we need the money :(

been wanting a soccer thread for a while, a lot of people just hate on it here tho. I understand it has corruption and some people will just come in and belittle it because they don't understand it , but hopefully this thread can be about appreciating the sport, discussing results and news and that's it.

feyenoord having one of the best starts in a few years. Hopefully they can stick with it through-out the season. My father is/was a big fan.

Fer was a pretty big loss tho, been playing well.

Anyway PSV fan.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
been wanting a soccer thread for a while, a lot of people just hate on it here tho. I understand it has corruption and some people will just come in and belittle it because they don't understand it , but hopefully this thread can be about appreciating the sport, discussing results and news and that's it.

feyenoord having one of the best starts in a few years. Hopefully they can stick with it through-out the season. My father is/was a big fan.

Fer was a pretty big loss tho, been playing well.

Anyway PSV fan.

Another football fan. Unfortunately i am a Southampton support. after a few lean years they are starting to win again and heading back towards the premiership

I saw that thread wasn't really succesfull so I thought maybe a new start would help.

But someone decided to post there a couple of minutes after I started this one :D

@Timmy, yeah, we won't relegate though :D But competing for the title will take a couple of years.

@The Hitch, that's personal. I'm playing football myself and have seen many, many games. And if you see how much players (even those who're getting paid a lot) are arguing with the ball, then this is really art. Barcelona make it look so simple, but it's really top class what they're doing. So for me it's justified to call it art.

@dave, at Southampton worked some Dutchies? Mark Wotte is an idiot. He worked also for Feyenoord and only bought bad players lol.

l.Harm said:
That's personal. I'm playing football myself and have seen many, many games. And if you see how much players (even those who're getting paid a lot) are arguing with the ball, then this is really art. Barcelona make it look so simple, but it's really top class what they're doing. So for me it's justified to call it art.

I play football too, likely more than you, and spent my entire childhood obsessed with football.

So you dont need to tell me why some people think its special. Me, I would never compare people kicking a ball, or even doing 50 backflips or whatever, to real art (going with the flow of the thread)

Also that video isnt even that great. I think at most they get 4 one touch passes together, most of the time its interrupted by someone dwelling on the ball, and only 2 end in a goal. Most its just in the middle of the field and eventually goes back to the defender.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
l.Harm said:
I saw that thread wasn't really succesfull so I thought maybe a new start would help.

But someone decided to post there a couple of minutes after I started this one :D

@Timmy, yeah, we won't relegate though :D But competing for the title will take a couple of years.

@The Hitch, that's personal. I'm playing football myself and have seen many, many games. And if you see how much players (even those who're getting paid a lot) are arguing with the ball, then this is really art. Barcelona make it look so simple, but it's really top class what they're doing. So for me it's justified to call it art.

@dave, at Southampton worked some Dutchies? Mark Wotte is an idiot. He worked also for Feyenoord and only bought bad players lol.

yeah Wotte (with some help from Jan Poortvliet before him) pretty much took us to our lowest point. 3rd division and -10 points. then a new buyer and a slow climb back. not massive fans of the dutch coach now. Love them in Australia though

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
can't describe myself as a big football fan (which I used to be in the school years) but there's a one team that I like:

Athletic_club_200px.png

The Hitch said:
I play football too, likely more than you, and spent my entire childhood obsessed with football.

So you dont need to tell me why some people think its special. Me, I would never compare people kicking a ball, or even doing 50 backflips or whatever, to real art (going with the flow of the thread)

Also that video isnt even that great. I think at most they get 4 one touch passes together, most of the time its interrupted by someone dwelling on the ball, and only 2 end in a goal. Most its just in the middle of the field and eventually goes back to the defender.
Likely? Maybe ;) I was pretty obsessed too. From my 6th I'm playing at least three times a week at the club without interruption. And till my 11th/12th (I guess) I played almost the whole day (after school of course) outside with friends. But of course I couldn't know your experience with football.

And after I read your post I couldn't ignore your location :D Real Madrid fan? That video was the first I could find about their passing play. I've seen a lot of matches and it's the best play I've ever seen in my life (I'm 20 now). But art is just a definition and I think in football Barcelona approaches art the best.

daveinzambia said:
yeah Wotte (with some help from Jan Poortvliet before him) pretty much took us to our lowest point. 3rd division and -10 points. then a new buyer and a slow climb back. not massive fans of the dutch coach now. Love them in Australia though
Yeah, Wotte was kind of manager when Poortvliet was coach wasn't it? Poortvliet was angry Wotte took his job. In a Dutch tabloid he showed his anger.

But Southampton is a nice club and I hope they'll get back to a decent level.

l.Harm said:
And after I read your post I couldn't ignore your location :D Real Madrid fan? That video was the first I could find about their passing play. I've seen a lot of matches and it's the best play I've ever seen in my life (I'm 20 now). But art is just a definition and I think in football Barcelona approaches art the best.

Im currently in Madrid. Doesnt mean Im Spanish, and I certainly hate Real and narcisinho and casillias way more than i hate barca.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
And personally i save the word art for much higher and more awe-inspiring creations.

I'm sure that you've played more than I have too, but if you fail to accept that the football Barca has played over the last 2-3 years deserves to be labeled as (football) 'art', then you're either a closet Real fan, or your understanding of the game is rather less than your understanding of cycling.;)

The football that Barca has shared with the world in recent seasons is as close to perfection as we're ever going to see on a football pitch. It is the glorious pinnacle of Cruijff's football vision put into practice by a brilliant team and a brilliant trainer. I have followed Barca since the early 90's and I can tell you that this team now is, without any doubt, the absolute mutt's nuts.:cool:

As my avatar makes clear, I support West Ham for my sins. I have been a Hammer since 1968, and also an Ajax fan since I moved here in 1989. So, the three teams I follow play very different football at very different levels of achievement. West Ham has the largest part in my heart, but Ajax are my local team. Watching Barca (and mainly Messi) over the last 2-3 seasons has given me more mini-orgasms of joy than I have ever previously had while watching the game, so yes, for me this Barca team is football art, football poetry in motion. I am aware that the worldwide adoration of Barca doesn't go down too well in Madrid, though.:D

edit -

The Hitch said:
Im currently in Madrid. Doesnt mean Im Spanish, and I certainly hate Real and narcisinho and casillias way more than i hate barca.

Just saw this after I posted. That's ok then.:D

The Hitch said:

What's your background then? (if you don't want to tell it, just say).

Actually I think Casillas (why cassillias :p) is the best goalkeeper in the world and he really has incredible saves. This one I'll always remember.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tehp2KrAkqU
I watched this game and I counted it as a goal already.

And narcisinho=Ronaldo? I don't like him too. I really love to see Özil playing and Ronaldo annoys me. Just shooting from 40m totally off target and when he hits one free kick out of 10 he's worlds best footballer :rolleyes:

@Amsterhammer.

Actually Ajax and Barca try to play the sime kind of football, but I think you know that :p Different level of course. West Ham is really different of course, English way of playing football. Saw them last year at Craven Cottage (Fulham) where West Ham won.

Amsterhammer said:
As my avatar makes clear, I support West Ham for my sins. I have been a Hammer since 1968,
Im guessing that means you were born in 1968:p

Watching Barca (and mainly Messi) over the last 2-3 seasons has given me more mini-orgasms of joy than I have ever previously had while watching the game, so yes, for me this Barca team is football art, football poetry in motion. I am aware that the worldwide adoration of Barca doesn't go down too well in Madrid, though.

Barca can be fun to watch, especially when they play teams i dislike more like Real and Arsenal, though i dont watch them go on their average weekly destructions of La Liga teams.

They are probably the best team ever yes though I do think in the premier league they wouldnt be nearly as dominant, as in Spain playing on the ground is the main feature, whereas in England Messi, iniesta, pedro, xavi, alvez, all the size of Purito Rodriguez, however much hgh and nandroline they have in them, will find difficulties in having the likes of Terry or Samba or Vidic smashing into them week in week out.
l.Harm said:
What's your background then? (if you don't want to tell it, just say).

Actually I think Casillas (why cassillias ) is the best goalkeeper in the world and he really has incredible saves. This one I'll always remember.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tehp2KrAkqU
I watched this game and I counted it as a goal already.

And narcisinho=Ronaldo? I don't like him too. I really love to see Özil playing and Ronaldo annoys me. Just shooting from 40m totally off target and when he hits one free kick out of 10 he's worlds best footballer :rolleyes:

@Amsterhammer.

Actually Ajax and Barca try to play the sime kind of football, but I think you know that. Different level of course. West Ham is really different of course, English way of playing football. Saw them last year at Craven Cottage (Fulham) where West Ham won.

Narcisinho = Mourinho;)

I mean come on, no one not even Ronaldo comes close to the blind arrogance of a guy who walks into an interview room and says "Im special". Who wants to be called a genius for "mind games" so "intelligent" (eg saying the ref is bribed, how utter genius no one ever thought of that probably:rolleyes:)

Who pokes someone in the eye then thinks its clever to mock the person saying he doesnt know who that person is.

Such a person should be out on the street, screaming his stupidities to the world making money in a paper cup.

As for me Im Polish born and raised in London and in Madrid for a month.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Im guessing that means you were born in 1968:p

Don't know what would lead you to that guess, but you'd be wrong. That's when I started regularly going to Upton Park (or, more correctly, the Boleyn Ground).

The Hitch said:
Barca....are probably the best team ever yes though I do think in the premier league they wouldnt be nearly as dominant.....

Agree on both counts.

The Hitch said:
Narcisinho = Mourinho;)

I mean come on, no one not even Ronaldo comes close to the blind arrogance of a guy who walks into an interview room and says "Im special". Who wants to be called a genius for "mind games" so "intelligent" (eg saying the ref is bribed, how utter genius no one ever thought of that probably:rolleyes:)

Who pokes someone in the eye then thinks its clever to mock the person saying he doesnt know who that person is.

Such a person should be out on the street, screaming his stupidities to the world making money in a paper cup.

Totally agree about this arrogant ***. It's incredible that he has not (yet, at least) faced any sanctions for his outrageous recent behavior.

l.Harm said:
In the Champions League they have beaten Arsenal and Manchester United several times in an impressive way. They just made fun of Vidic and Ferdinand.

And how could I miss Mourinho :p Was only thinking of players.

Yes but the point is theyd be doing it week in week out.

If every week they had to face big defenders who get a huge cheer every-time they clatter into a player, it would be tougher for them.

Theres the weather factor too. Wet cold windy slippery, muddy.

Barca are known for diving at the slightest touch whereas in England pure physicality is always cheered.

Obviously the amateur scene is different from the Proffesional one but me, when i play in England everyone is always throwing elbows, kicking you in the shins, smashing into you, and when someone gets hurt they are told to get up. Long balls and fighting for headers in the middle of the park are the key.

When i play in Spain and you shoulder someone they immediately get a foul. If you have the ball you never launch it mindlessly up field, but find a pass.

And of course amateurs base their games totaly around what they see on tv.

Amsterhammer said:
Don't know what would lead you to that guess, but you'd be wrong. That's when I started regularly going to Upton Park (or, more correctly, the Boleyn Ground).

British football fans often say they are (insert team) fans since the day they were born till the day they die.

So if you say you became a fan of your team on a certain day I assume that was the day on which you were born;)

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
amateur football here is very aggressive and rough also.
I have been playing my whole life (outdoor and indoor) and I think I certainly appreciate what i see on tv a lot more.

I agree what barca have done is art, Cl final was something else. Of course it depends on your perception of art I suppose. It is fine that Hitch doesn't see it as art, but it is also fine that some of us do.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I think france from 2000 were the best team ever, well the best I remember, I in my head they would beat the spain team now and barcelona...

A

Anonymous

l.Harm said:
You also go to matches or don't you live in England?

BREAKING NEWS : Man City Bid £35m For Gaddafi !!!! They've Never Seen Him Play But Have Heard That Everyone Is After Him!

hehe

I was born in rome, studied in liverpool for awhile but i am not in England now.

TRENDING THREADS