• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Record Fakers

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio#

A look back at the history of doping in track and field.

Interesting commemt from the then Christiana Boxer (now Cahill) about somthing Andy Norman said to her, something like "just immagine how good you could be if you were on the same as them".

The now deceased Andy Norman was basically the head honcho in UK Athletics

Article about Norman from 1994

The gist of the program was about the GDR doping regime.

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Heard some of it last night. Some truly shocking stories. It shows that Lance was telling the truth about one thing. His program was not even in the same league as the East Germans.

Frosty said:

Dutch TV did a documentary much in the tone of the Cook article, but then about the East German speed skaters, and Dutch darling Yvonne van Gennep.
She came back from a terrible injury to catch 3 golds in Calgary, making the East Germans look like amateurs. The docu went well into the doping sid (Germans only of course), and that they could train so much harder than Yvonne.
The Germans ladies even came on camera speaking about water bottle they did not know it contained, etc. Terrible to let them confess so one-sided while Van Gennep shone in glory of cleanliness once more. EPO insiders than saw here perform in Calgary (1500m altitude?) recognized her performances and EPO-assisted. How else could she have? And our history is rich of post-injury miracles. Like Ellen van Langen's 800m PB which she ran in the Barcelona (of all places) Olympic finale 1992. Peculiar to say the least.

If Cook ran so fast with 1-2 generations less knowledge of training and nutrition, I am a bit wary of expressions like this. Oh those bad Germans...
Some of the most moral and god fearing people I know have used doping, it was so normal in the 80's.

Cloxxki said:
Dutch TV did a documentary much in the tone of the Cook article, but then about the East German speed skaters, and Dutch darling Yvonne van Gennep.
She came back from a terrible injury to catch 3 golds in Calgary, making the East Germans look like amateurs. The docu went well into the doping sid (Germans only of course), and that they could train so much harder than Yvonne.
The Germans ladies even came on camera speaking about water bottle they did not know it contained, etc. Terrible to let them confess so one-sided while Van Gennep shone in glory of cleanliness once more. EPO insiders than saw here perform in Calgary (1500m altitude?) recognized her performances and EPO-assisted. How else could she have? And our history is rich of post-injury miracles. Like Ellen van Langen's 800m PB which she ran in the Barcelona (of all places) Olympic finale 1992. Peculiar to say the least.

If Cook ran so fast with 1-2 generations less knowledge of training and nutrition, I am a bit wary of expressions like this. Oh those bad Germans...
Some of the most moral and god fearing people I know have used doping, it was so normal in the 80's.

Yeah, we'll never know who did what. The perils of assuming that any one nation is clean has been much discussed on these pages.;) Comparisons with the 80s are interesting as i dont think europeans have really gone significantly faster since then (although the spanish may have done) which given the apparent increase in effectiveness of PEDs such as EPO should surely have resulted in some people smashing european records. Then again some will have been put off by the kenyans, ethiopians.

Athletes doping

It seems that the IAF the atheletes governing body has great problems doing dope tests on african atheletes especially blood test for EPO which is what all the top distance runners are on for the following reasons..
1 Religion and ethnic values
2 Distance that the Kenyan atheletes live away from the big cities so the blood collected will not survive the journey to the labs...

so they dont bother !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frosty said:
Yeah, we'll never know who did what. The perils of assuming that any one nation is clean has been much discussed on these pages.;) Comparisons with the 80s are interesting as i dont think europeans have really gone significantly faster since then (although the spanish may have done) which given the apparent increase in effectiveness of PEDs such as EPO should surely have resulted in some people smashing european records. Then again some will have been put off by the kenyans, ethiopians.

There's some awesome European records set by immigrated runners, which were then caught with EPO. I think the Belgian 5000m record set by a Moroccan.

You'd expect runners to get quicker, yet they don't. Some doping goes on in events such as steeple chase (really dense doper fields, they're often so well connected). I think participation rate is going down quite hard. Difficult for world class athletes to make a living, unless they consistently score final placings at large tournaments. And we know, for that, you most likely need doping.
Spikes, tracks, nutricion, all has had such vast improvements, yet we only see development in male sprint and penta/decathlon, pretty much. That's globally. In Europe, the sport barely has any budget, or it doesn't reach athletes. Too many limitations to personal sponsors, etc.
Yet, I am not comfortable with docu's and articles putting supposedly clean super athletes in the spotlight against specific alleged dopers of their time.

TRENDING THREADS