• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Spanish Omertà Cracks? (Rodriguez)

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Speaking out loudly, isn’t he? I hope, the following quote just sounds strange due to translation:

"I do not think I ever had a problem with doping nor will I have."

Reminds me of the Spanish philosophy, that it’s only doping, if you get caught with a positive test result. Otherwise you’re running clean.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
And now riding for katyusha and sayings that "Little Leonardo Piepoli" (I heard phil liggets calls him that back in the days) is his coach

I'm having trouble working out Katusha. My sense is there is no team organized program but riders are free to organize their own programs? Freire was clean, but folks like Pippo, Karpets etc definitely doping as per the Padua investigation.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
laziali said:
Rodriguez just broke rank. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rodriguez-calls-for-lifetime-bans-for-dope-cheats

Hopefully not just too much blue curaçao in Curaçao!

I don't recall any past dirt on Purito, other than obvious inferences from riding for ONCE and Saunier.

I was under the impression Omerta was hiding things from people. Here JRod, the most successful rider this year, says he never doped, and the peloton is all clean now, that USADA etc is all in the past.

To me, this sounds like a reinforcement of omerta, not a breaking of same.

Perhaps my definition of omerta is wrong? I am willing to be corrected.

laziali said:
I'm having trouble working out Katusha. My sense is there is no team organized program but riders are free to organize their own programs? Freire was clean, but folks like Pippo, Karpets etc definitely doping as per the Padua investigation.

Freire was clean? :D:D:D

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
I was under the impression Omerta was hiding things from people. Here JRod, the most successful rider this year, says he never doped, and the peloton is all clean now, that USADA etc is all in the past.

To me, this sounds like a reinforcement of omerta, not a breaking of same.

Perhaps my definition of omerta is wrong? I am willing to be corrected.

I meant Omertà in the sense of the "there's nothing to see here, nothing wrong with the current testing and punishment system, nothing to change or reform, move along now" line being peddled by Bertie, Valverde etc.

so, yes you are right not strictly the Code of Silence on past/current doping, but you get the idea.

I plead guilty to rushing the thread title to be first in. Perhaps I should have called it "The Spanish Lockstep Cracks?"

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
Freire was clean? :D:D:D

Of course we don't know for sure, but I don't recall even a rumor about Oscar. A sprinter not a Tour rider suggests clean was possible. Are there any links I have missed?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
laziali said:
I meant Omertà in the sense of the "there's nothing to see here, nothing wrong with the current testing and punishment system, nothing to change or reform, move along now" line being peddled by Bertie, Valverde etc.

so, yes you are right not strictly the Code of Silence on past/current doping, but you get the idea. Substance, not semantics please :)

mmk :)

fat_boy_fat said:
Speaking out loudly, isn’t he? I hope, the following quote just sounds strange due to translation:

Reminds me of the Spanish philosophy, that it’s only doping, if you get caught with a positive test result. Otherwise you’re running clean.

Exactly. I am pretty sure that this is the definition most of the peloton subscribe to, not only the spanish. The rest of the interview is just stupid PR babble straight out of UCI's HQ. Whenever I hear talks of lifetime bans, I fear for even less transparency and a tougher Omertá enforcement.

The quote comes from an interview with Het Nieuwsblad, and the original Dutch says exactly that:
Ik denk niet dat ik ooit een probleem met doping zal hebben.
Not sure if the interview was done in Spanish, but regardless, there's no Spanish expression that would lead a semicompetent speaker to translate it as "ik denk niet dat..." if that wasn't exactly what he said in Spanish.

veganrob said:
He really didn't say a whole lot. Howwever expressing his sentiment to throw out the dopers for life is telling as that would mean a countryman would be gone. AC
Or his teammate Caruso. Or Vicioso, who he requested to have on the team (never convicted, but involved in OP and super guilty). Or team doctor Mikhailov.

Purito doesn't mean anything. He's just posturing.

On the other hand, Perico Delgado:

"No quiero entrar si es inocente o culpable de las acusaciones de algunos de sus compañeros, pero como en otros casos parecidos de demolición hacia una estrella, solo se ha aceptado una versión, la de sus acusadores (más mediática), y no la de otros compañeros que contaban otra."

http://www.pedrodelgado.com/perico/actualidad/articulos/el_mazo.html

In other words, he doesn't want to judge LA since the version that was accepted was USADA's and not the other teammates' version.

This guy needs to go away. :mad:

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Anyone in his position has knowledge of current doping even if it's true he is clean. If you are not going to really tell what you know and advance a real clean up of the sport then just shut up.

Very convincing and good statements from Purito here. I remember certain participators in this thread, when defending the french for their defense of Omertá/Armstrong, that is the rule of "counterbalance" at work here. We have for sure not heard anything as progressive as "throwing out doping doctors" from other riders so i guess it works.

But, two things strikes my mind here:

*The name of the thread is very misleading. There are of course such a thing as "spanish Omertá". But the bigger (and thus better) perspective would of course be just "Omertá". If not, of course, it doesnt have Mr McQuaids approval. It wont favour "the cause" just to break apart specific items of this "omertá" and giving the others enough time to escape. Unless of course...

*Would the clinic be so kind to list what the riders can or cant say. Sort of a "universal say or not say"-rule so we could be spared every new started thread of what a spanish rider have said or what seems suspect. Lets just forget that Puritos word stands very close to the western heroes (whats left of them i should say) Wiggins, Evans. Except these guys "missed" the part of "throwing out doctors".

Oh, yes, Wiggins worked with those doctors. My bad...

laziali said:
Of course we don't know for sure, but I don't recall even a rumor about Oscar. A sprinter not a Tour rider suggests clean was possible. Are there any links I have missed?

Recent history suggests he's clean. His first WC win definitely was not. Go back and read his excuse as to why he won.

I'll paraphrase: "I don't really need that much training/racing to win"

May 6, 2010
Visit site
laziali said:

Actually, Freire's statement looks to have been created by the same public relations firm. "I don't think I've done anything I'll be caught for."
http://www.abc.es/20121029/deportes/abci-freire-entrevista-201210291335.html

Freire's statement was actually portrayed by some as an "antidoping" statement, when it is anything but. To me it's an admission of doping.

"After what you say, you will not come out in some murky affair ... ?"
"I don't think so. I have never had a problem, and I don't think I ever will."

Translation: Yes, I doped, but now I'm retiring and I don't think I'll ever be caught at this point.

Quote:
"Do you see any solution?"
"Yes, that the incompetents who do the doping control go away. If people are doping and not being caught, it's because those tests don't work. And we can't go backwards. We have to go forwards."

Translation: if people keep looking at the past, I might get busted. You shouldn't believe drug tests anyway, if anything is found in my urine it's a lie.

"How do the other riders in the peloton look at you?"
"I have earned their respect and I am also respectful towards others. I am not one of those who systematically thinks ill of others. What happens is there is a lot of hypocrisy in the peloton. Many of those who complained about others have tested positive or are implicated in relations with the doctors."

Translation: I love Omertà.

Joaquim Rodríguez calls for LIFETIME BANS.

Rodríguez calls for lifetime bans for dope cheats

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rodriguez-calls-for-lifetime-bans-for-dope-cheats

-0-

As it stands now, a cheater can make gains that will often still remain after serving a short ban.?. Short bans may make the calculated risk acceptable. If the risk of doping included getting the full shaft, the risk would be too great to take.

That would be the good part, what would be wrong with lifetime bans?

TRENDING THREADS