• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Tour of China

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
China to stage major multi-city race
A total of 14 overseas teams have entered the event, the report said, without naming any of the competitors. Five domestic squads will also race for prize money totalling 200,000 dollars.

"I hope it can eventually rival the world's top cycling races such as the Tour de France, Giro d'Italia and the Tour of Spain in five to eight years," Pang said.

Radioshack ain't doing the Vuelta maybe they could go and pick up the team classification

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know if this will air somewhere, because what I've seen of Asian cycling (pictures and what-not), it is in a beautiful environment and has a lot of excitement

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Michele said:
Never got luck to see any live from Asia; cycling is a minor sport in there, especially in China (althought it's growing).

Hhhmm, perhaps I can try to find some Chinese students in the coming weeks (they always try to get you into bible clubs :p) and see what they know about it, perhaps they'll know of some way to find out about the race.

But back on-topic: These overseas teams will probably be teams from other parts of Asia, or did they mean non-asian teams?

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Barrus said:
But back on-topic: These overseas teams will probably be teams from other parts of Asia, or did they mean non-asian teams?

Based on who usually heads to the Qinghai race its usually Asian based teams with maybe a couple pro conti or US teams with sponsors interested in Asian exposure. Usually a couple of the stronger Australian domestic squads, Malaysia has a national team etc.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm geussing this is this years version of last years 'Tour of Hainan' 2HC. I followed it last year. Shiplevsky lost the overall to Ventoso after a bad wheel change in the last 20 minutes lol.
It seemed like the standard of racing and organinsing was all very high. The chinese fans very entheusiastic even though some of them won't have gotten the concept of bikes being raced.
The big money drew in a very quality field I think.

Barrus: i think last year it was just video highlights off the official site/youtube. There was one kiwiteam (Subway Avanti), Camioroo A style, Russian national Team and maybe Fly V Aus? - I cant remember .. but the quality was definately high.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Nope, there will be no live stream. Never find them, even Qinghai Lake.

Europeans seem to be more interested in Chinese races than Chinese themselves.

And Tour of China is only a 2.2 race. lower than Qinghai Lake.

Teams take part in Tour of China

Nutrixxion Sparkasse
CKT Tmit-Champion System
HERAKLION KASTRO-MURCIA
GLUD&MARSTRAND-LRO
UKRAINE NATIONAL TEAM
CKT Tmit-Champion Syetem Team
Joker Bianchi
Polygon Sweet Nice
Hong Kong China Team
Japan National TEAM
China National Team
United HealthCare Professional Cycling Team
Mexico National Team
Fly V Australia team

May 6, 2009
Visit site
online-rider said:
I'm geussing this is this years version of last years 'Tour of Hainan' 2HC. I followed it last year. Shiplevsky lost the overall to Ventoso after a bad wheel change in the last 20 minutes lol.
It seemed like the standard of racing and organinsing was all very high. The chinese fans very entheusiastic even though some of them won't have gotten the concept of bikes being raced.
The big money drew in a very quality field I think.

Barrus: i think last year it was just video highlights off the official site/youtube. There was one kiwiteam (Subway Avanti), Camioroo A style, Russian national Team and maybe Fly V Aus? - I cant remember .. but the quality was definately high.

ISD anyone?

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
online-rider said:
I'm geussing this is this years version of last years 'Tour of Hainan' 2HC. .

No Hainan is on again in October. This a a re-run of a race that used to run but hasn't in the previous few years.

This runs from Xi-an to Tianjin, but quite a few circuit races..

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Michele said:
Never got luck to see any live from Asia; cycling is a minor sport in there, especially in China (althought it's growing).
The cycling events get massive coverage on Chinese tele, they promote it heaps, just not to the outside world. I think the point is it's all Chinese sponsors so they don't really care if the outside world gets a look in or not.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
Does anyone know if this will air somewhere, because what I've seen of Asian cycling (pictures and what-not), it is in a beautiful environment and has a lot of excitement
These guys offer the best net coverage with quick results and reports from each stage usually..
http://www.cyclingnewsasia.com/

But no streaming and unless you know how to get a hold of CCTV5 I think you'll be screwed.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
Jono L. said:
No Hainan is on again in October. This a a re-run of a race that used to run but hasn't in the previous few years.

This runs from Xi-an to Tianjin, but quite a few circuit races..

Actually it's November.

http://www.tohcr.com/en_index.php
http://www.cqranking.com/men/asp/gen/race_history.asp?tourid=1521

Jono L. said:
Ugghhhh.

Well it's the most challenging that's for sure;)

I meant the race that seems to have the brighter future; for sure not the easier one like Hainan&Co.

Jono L. said:
The cycling events get massive coverage on Chinese tele, they promote it heaps, just not to the outside world. I think the point is it's all Chinese sponsors so they don't really care if the outside world gets a look in or not.

I do happen to have chinese friends some related to cycling and some not and most of the non-cycling ones doesnt know anything about bike (while some on HK would refer to Kam Po Wong).

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Jono L. said:
These guys offer the best net coverage with quick results and reports from each stage usually..
http://www.cyclingnewsasia.com/

But no streaming and unless you know how to get a hold of CCTV5 I think you'll be screwed.

CCTV5? Never see Tour of Qinghai Lake or any other Chinese cycling races live on CCTV5.

wish Tour of China will live on CCTV5 this year.

Jono L. said:

massive coverage? Are you kidding? no live stream, niggardly cyclingnews on TV.

yes cycling is more popular these years. but it is far from calling it 'massive coverage'

*shrugging*

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
joy118118 said:
CCTV5? Never see Tour of Qinghai Lake or any other Chinese cycling races live on CCTV5.

wish Tour of China will live on CCTV5 this year.

massive coverage? Are you kidding? no live stream, niggardly cyclingnews on TV.

yes cycling is more popular these years. but it is far from calling it 'massive coverage'

*shrugging*

Which ones the sport channel? Sorry, got mixed up:confused:

Ok, sorry, compared to Australia it was massive coverage :p, like at least 5 minutes of a news bulletin was on the race. But maybe that was only Qinghai regional tv?

Like last year at Hainan they had a big presentation before the first stage that we were told was live on national television so I assumed it was well covered:)

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Jono L. said:
Which ones the sport channel? Sorry, got mixed up:confused:

Ok, sorry, compared to Australia it was massive coverage :p, like at least 5 minutes of a news bulletin was on the race. But maybe that was only Qinghai regional tv?

Like last year at Hainan they had a big presentation before the first stage that we were told was live on national television so I assumed it was well covered:)

CCTV5 is the national sports channel. I check last year's TV programme. They only had some features of Tour of Hainan.

Tour of Qinghai Lake is live on Qinghai regional tv but not on CCTV5. Some big races I believe have news bulletins on CCTV5 like Qinghai Lake, Hainan and GTs. but live streams still far from Chinese.

I even dont know where I was able to find the results of Chinese National Championship:mad:

Michele said:

Maybe not as a sport, but Bejing is a bicycly capital.. or atleast it was. Since they economy is booming everyone is buying a car so they can all line up in a traffic jam of 10 days long :D
Anyways.. Bejing has a big tradition of cycling, but I have no clue if they use them for races though.

TRENDING THREADS