The Women's Road Racing Thread 2021

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Monster team. And if Rio is anything to go by, it's the one you'd most expect to be there as a helper who will in fact lead, so seeing as Fuji Speedway has a billiard table smooth surface and no scary dangerous gutters, all signs point to a gold medal for Demi :D

Christian Prudhomme has confirmed that the women's Tour de France will take place next year, and that La Course will continue to be held as well. I understand the reasons for not organising it along side the men's race, though I'm not sure it'll be the best way to ensure financial stability, but of course Prudhomme knows more about that than me. Let's at least hope they will give the race a chance to grow, and that they won't cancel it just because the first or second edition don't generate a surplus.

It also seems to have been confirmed that the women's Tour de Suisse wil go ahead as a two day stage race (June 5-6), but there might still be some questions regarding the future funding of it.

Well, the Saudis paying up to save the Dakar Rally, ASO's loss-making pet project, clearly has some benefits.

Shame they (predictably) wanted to ensure that the Giro got downgraded before they stepped in so that they wouldn't have any competition for prestige with the much more historic event...

How is it ASO's fault that the Giro organisers didn't fulfill the live coverage obligation?
If I remember correctly, they weren't fully warned about the possible consequences of failing to provide TV coverage (according to themselves), so ASO could in theory had put pressure on the UCI to take drastic measures in order to increase the value of their own product. Not that I know anything about it, so Libertine should definitely give us a much better explanation.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, they weren't fully warned about the possible consequences of failing to provide TV coverage (according to themselves), so ASO could in theory had put pressure on the UCI to take drastic measures in order to increase the value of their own product. Not that I know anything about it, so Libertine should definitely give us a much better explanation.
I just figured that if one of the (main) obligations of being a WT is live coverage, and you fail to provide that, then no longer being a WT race would be a logical consequence.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca

ASK THE COMMUNITY

Latest posts