• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 126 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If have to say this time, SD Worx worked really well together.

But the descent of the last climb was horrible with speed bumps and no signals of any marshal.

So the questions is now, can Bredewold defend the jersey tomorrow?

2. Stage:
1. Bredewold
2. Garcia
3. Labous

If have to say this time, SD Worx worked really well together.

But the descent of the last climb was horrible with speed bumps and no signals of any marshal.

So the questions is now, can Bredewold defend the jersey tomorrow?

2. Stage:
1. Bredewold
2. Garcia
3. Labous
EAKG5SIXUAAPCzj

This at 28km from home, and the last - and really, because this is an absolutely awful Itzulia route, only - chance for the climbers. Bredewold will be dropped, but the question will be if they distance her by enough that she can't get back on, especially as I would suspect any moves are going to be marked to the nth degree by Vollering.

Reactions: Didinho
I just love the term "Labousen Taldea".
Though, I suppose it's a good thing the group isn't named for Rooijakkers... "Rooijakkersen Taldea"?

Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out how Basque works.
Yes, Rooijakkersen Taldea. There are two different genitive cases in Basque (one for animate objects and one for inanimate) though they are irregular and Basque grammar is an absolute maze which requires supreme dedication to get even half a head around. Rooijakkers (person) -en (genitive suffix) talde (group) -a (definite article): "The Rooijakkers group."

Anyway, it worked out more or less exactly as I anticipated. I didn't know whether or not Bredewold would get back to the rest to sprint and get 2nd on the GC, but her being dropped and then chasing back while Vollering escapes to win was pretty much what I foresaw. She is just peerless in País Vasco, she won out in 2022, she could have won out but deferred to Reusser when she escaped on the final stage last year, and then took the win and GC here for good measure.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Yes, Rooijakkersen Taldea. There are two different genitive cases in Basque (one for animate objects and one for inanimate) though they are irregular and Basque grammar is an absolute maze which requires supreme dedication to get even half a head around. Rooijakkers (person) -en (genitive suffix) talde (group) -a (definite article): "The Rooijakkers group."

I can now go to that Basque Book Shop BR spoke about and actually be able to read the books!

Lol, it's almost like we could have predicted it all well in advance. Hyping the difficulty of a 1km climb which comes 50km from home and celebrating the "punchy kickers" that will "do more damage" that follow, before a completely featureless, flat final third of the stage to "set the stage for a spectacular finish" with Ellingworth (surely he should be aware of what makes a race selective with all his experience?!) talking up the "incredibly tough" route with "a series of challenging climbs", none of which are placed anywhere that's going to actually result in any meaningful action.

Just maddening. You could have such a good race in Britain, and somehow they've managed to produce something with all the same drawbacks as the old Women's Tour but without the excuse of travelling through the East of England where you do actually have to do some work to find meaningful obstacles; around the parts of the country this race is travelling you could dump a plate of spaghetti over a relief map and come up with a better bike race route. All of the negative aspects of Sweetspot, gone but not, well, gone.