• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

This is what it is like on l'Alpe d'Huez

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
This video proves it, cycling's not just a sport, it's an entire culture and a way of life. :) Reminds my why I love it.

I was there this year (well, 2011 that is) and it IS all it is hyped up to be. Amazing atmosphere also in the days leading up to the stage itself.

Only managed three times up Les Alpe though, for a minor hobby cyclist that was enough :)

And yeah, the Dutch (and others) also applauded us almost still-standing cyclists on our way... Only got offered one beer though.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
I would love to do it myself someday but none of my friends are cycling fans so not much hope there. You see the amount of Dutch fans there and then i look at my own country and there just doesnt seem to be anywhere near the same interest which disappoints me.

L'Alpe d'Huez is full of cycling fans and all waiting to be your friend. i doubt you would feel lonely on Alpe d'Huez :)

gooner said:
I would love to do it myself someday but none of my friends are cycling fans so not much hope there. You see the amount of Dutch fans there and then i look at my own country and there just doesnt seem to be anywhere near the same interest which disappoints me.
It's not interest in cycling as such, just getting drunk and having a good time. Don't you think the Irish would be interested in that? ;)

Wtf are Rabobank doing with some huge *** lorry on a mountain with like a 3m wide road:eek:

theyoungest said:
They probably weren't there ;)

The forumites are cycling fans. Those orange clad lunatics on the Alpe think Rob Ruijgh is the best climber of the Netherlands, as of last July.

I remember some of you guys eg Dekker T were quite upset that the morons on Lalpe were booing Tommy V.