• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thomas Löfkvist

This is too bad. Think he have more in his fuel if he just could get some proper rest from his chronic fatigue. Don't understand why he can't be a helper for one/two seasons and if it goes well he could give it a go again.

I have allways cheered for Thomas. Probally one of the best clean riders in mid -00. Alot of victorys have been destroyed for him becouce of know cheaters. Giro stage win + alot days in pink, an other Strade Bianche, GC in Tirreno–Adriatico ect.

Rumors is saying that he will start a Swedish continental team for next season.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I truly believe this guy rode completely clean and many times got beaten by less talented dopers. I guess it might also be a factor why he burnt himself out (trying to keep up with dopers).

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Futuroscope said:
I truly believe this guy rode completely clean and many times got beaten by less talented dopers. I guess it might also be a factor why he burnt himself out (trying to keep up with dopers).

oh yea yea,everyone else is dirty lol

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Why does so many Swedish family names include names for parts of plants; branches, roots. leaves, twigs and so on?

Appelgren, Bergqvist, Blomqvist, Boklöv, Engquist, Gren, Holmqvist, Lindgren, Liljeroth, Lindqvist, Ljungberg, Lundqvist, Löfkvist, Lövgren etc. etc.

They are forest people who were born and raised in the forests? It's pretty cool.

About Löfkvist someone mentioned he raced too much early on with FDJ and that another cause for his problems w/fatigue could be the hardcore training regime that Michael Andersson planned for him + Löfkvist's own super seriousness. He had a good run though, four or five years where he was really competitive.

neineinei said:
Why does so many Swedish family names include names for parts of plants; branches, roots. leaves, twigs and so on?

Appelgren, Bergqvist, Blomqvist, Boklöv, Engquist, Gren, Holmqvist, Lindgren, Liljeroth, Lindqvist, Ljungberg, Lundqvist, Löfkvist, Lövgren etc. etc.

In the past it was common with patronyms in Sweden but various trends led people to split from that tradition and choose new family names and in doing so it became popular to choose a name that was a combination of various nature terms. So it's mostly a fashion thing.

ingsve said:
In the past it was common with patronyms in Sweden but various trends led people to split from that tradition and choose new family names and in doing so it became popular to choose a name that was a combination of various nature terms. So it's mostly a fashion thing.

Sorry to Anglicise the thread again,but what do those Swedish surnames mean in English?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Futuroscope said:

lol this is biggest amount of horse**** I read all day. thank you for the laughter though

MellowJohnny said:
Sorry to Anglicise the thread again,but what do those Swedish surnames mean in English?

I am Danish, not Swedish - so I could be wrong:

AppelGren=AppleBranch,
Bergqvist=MountTwig,
BlomQvist=BloomTwig,
BokLöv=BeechFoliage, (correct if bok=beech)
EngQuist=MeadowTwig,
Gren=Branch,
HolmQvist=IsletTwig,
LindGren=LimeBranch,
LiljeRoth=LilyRoot, (correct if roth=root)
LindQvist=LimeTwig,
LjungBerg=MellowMount, (Ljung could be quiet)
LundQvist=GroveTwig,
LöfKvist=FoliageTwig,
Lövgren=FoliageBranch

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Gotland said:
This is too bad. Think he have more in his fuel if he just could get some proper rest from his chronic fatigue. Don't understand why he can't be a helper for one/two seasons and if it goes well he could give it a go again.

I have allways cheered for Thomas. Probally one of the best clean riders in mid -00. Alot of victorys have been destroyed for him becouce of know cheaters. Giro stage win + alot days in pink, an other Strade Bianche, GC in Tirreno–Adriatico ect.

Rumors is saying that he will start a Swedish continental team for next season.

Futuroscope said:

i'd like to think so to. but when you are swimming in a dirty pool, it is difficult.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
For the reason of retirement - there is disagreement among scientists (doctors) if such diagnose even exists.

Also I've had impression that he performed better when doping was more prevalent and his fall began when cycling allegedly got cleaner.

Kokoso said:
For the reason of retirement - there is disagreement among scientists (doctors) if such diagnose even exists.

Also I've had impression that he performed better when doping was more prevalent and his fall began when cycling allegedly got cleaner.

That's interesting, I really don't know but I'd like to believe in him, then again just like all the others. Who knows.

Interesting quote from him

I’ve chosen my teams for their ethics and I’m proud of that."

Dog Speed Tommy:)

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
MellowJohnny said:
That's interesting, I really don't know but I'd like to believe in him, then again just like all the others. Who knows.

Interesting quote from him

I’ve chosen my teams for their ethics and I’m proud of that."

Dog Speed Tommy:)

God knows what ethics he could mean - work ethics, or dininf ethics...there are more kinds of ethics :)

Don't know about HTC ethics. I've heard they served meal without napkins.

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
lol this is biggest amount of horse**** I read all day. thank you for the laughter though

You can laugh all you want, I'm convinced he rode completely clean. I have read some of your other posts and you seem to be a nasty piece of work. Please do not communicate with me further. Run along now.