• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thor Hushovd to retire after the season

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hushovd has revealed, among other things that:

- Lance told him that he had been doped already in 2011.
- He paid 50 000 NOK to each of the teammates who were willing to help him in the WC in 2010. Boasson Hagen didn't get anything since he was in a breakaway.
- He used a safety pin to stab himself in the thighs to get rid of cramps in Tour down Under 2013.
- He has used 16 000 euros on hair transplants!

More to follow!

Hushovd on the day he decided to retire (google translation):

Thor Hushovd talks about the day he decided to retire, March 28, 2014. In the midst of semi classic Grand Prix E3 Harelbeke, heading up a relatively small hill called Côte de Trieu. Hushovd is dead last and unable to keep up with the competition.

- There was no doubt that the body said stop. It would simply not be up the hill and told so by all the signals it had. Nevertheless, I continued to push. Up was I! That was the worst, continue to push when your body does not respond, when the body does not want more. It is so indescribable pain. The pain is unbearable. It is the constant experience like that at Côte de Trieu which is why I took the final decision there and then writes Hushovd.

Interesting part about BMC introducing a zero-alcohol policy in 2013.

The next day, Gilbert, Hushovd, Lander, Lodewyck and Cummings were supposed to go on a long training ride. Instead, they bought some cava, went to the beach and got drunk.

And yet Gilbert & Hushovd blame "viruses" for their non-performance ;)

Another preview from the book that I found interesting is that after his year with Garmin-Cervelo, where Thor didn't get along with Jonathan Vaughters at all, the sponsors offered to fire JV in order to get Hushovd to stay with them but he had already signed a deal with BMC.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
ingsve said:
Another preview from the book that I found interesting is that after his year with Garmin-Cervelo, where Thor didn't get along with Jonathan Vaughters at all, the sponsors offered to fire JV in order to get Hushovd to stay with them but he had already signed a deal with BMC.

That sounds very unlikely considering JV was from the team since conception Garmin - Chipotle at PCT level. Sounds bs to me.

Gloin22 said:
That sounds very unlikely considering JV was from the team since conception Garmin - Chipotle at PCT level. Sounds bs to me.

It might have been the people at Cervelo that said it since they were also new in the colaboration with JV and had good experiences with Hushovs from the two previous years at Cervelo Test Team. I don't know the details since I only read a short mention of it in a preview article about the book.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
If it wasn't for Thor Hushovd, I wouldn't even know what an echelon is. The entire Norwegian people wouldn't give a **** about cycling if Thor had not popularized the sport. Now he's gone, but we still have Kristoff, Boasson Hagen, Sondre Holst Enger who can deliver wins in the years to come.