• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Thyroid problems and HGH

A

Anonymous

I was listening to a local sports talk radio show and they were talking about PED use and how the guy being interviewed, as a former player, could tell who was juiced and who wasn't.

He said a key sign was the fluidity of the player, not generally noticed by the everyday person. He may be big but he just isn't fluid in his movement running routes, blocking people, etc. Those guys just looked like a big moving mass, not natural.

I wonder if pro cyclists can tell the same thing with other cyclists in their movement on the bike (aside from an outrageous performance by yesterday's domestique now wearing a leader's jersey, as an example).

Gee333 said:
I wonder if pro cyclists can tell the same thing with other cyclists in their movement on the bike (aside from an outrageous performance by yesterday's domestique now wearing a leader's jersey, as an example).

Well as a long-time amateur hack racer I can tell you that I don't think you can see anything from the movement on the bike. All racers are pretty darn smooth and efficient on the bike usually starting around top level amateur (Cat 3) and up. You can certainly see difference in smoothness of pedal stroke among racers but it's not indicative of juicing in my opinion.

The biggest indicator of juicing is many repeated attacks IMHO (i.e. Di Luca in the Giro last year) and/or ridiculously long and hard solo efforts. When you've got a guy riding away solo from a whole peloton that is actually trying to catch him like Tyler Hamilton in that TDF stage years ago; that's sketchy.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Well as a long-time amateur hack racer I can tell you that I don't think you can see anything from the movement on the bike. All racers are pretty darn smooth and efficient on the bike usually starting around top level amateur (Cat 3) and up. You can certainly see difference in smoothness of pedal stroke among racers but it's not indicative of juicing in my opinion.

The biggest indicator of juicing is many repeated attacks IMHO (i.e. Di Luca in the Giro last year) and/or ridiculously long and hard solo efforts. When you've got a guy riding away solo from a whole peloton that is actually trying to catch him like Tyler Hamilton in that TDF stage years ago; that's sketchy.

That is likely CERA or blood doping or, in Di Luca's case; everything. I don't think a GT rider would benefit from taking a boatload of HGH beyond the minimum required to recover.
Now seeing some Master's track cyclists from California...there's a group that have obviously been to the "rejuvenation clinic". Their skin is unnaturally taut and smooth (like full-body botox), they have exaggerated musculature and some move as described above. Much of the customary suppleness you see in a distance road-rider is gone. Saw a guy try for the pursuit WR and everyone around him at the start could hardly believe what he looked like. Same year I saw Tammy all jacked up.

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
BikeCentric said:

I agree with the first part. If you look back at 97 Liege, Bartoli in a break with Jalabert and Zulle (both on ONCE) and see him matching attacks and working them over in such a way as he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xabiZwVoyjc

As along solo undertaking is quite different than the former, poor tactics from other teams could be just as significant.

Colm.Murphy said:
I agree with the first part. If you look back at 97 Liege, Bartoli in a break with Jalabert and Zulle (both on ONCE) and see him matching attacks and working them over in such a way as he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xabiZwVoyjc

As along solo undertaking is quite different than the former, poor tactics from other teams could be just as significant.

And it's not like Jalabert was a clean.

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
BikeCentric said:

And Menchov sat on his wheel the entire way breathing through is nose......:rolleyes:

BikeCentric said:

Floyd Landis in the Morzine stage in the 2006 Tour.

Contador and Michael Rasmussen in the 2007 Tour.

IntheMidwest said:
And Menchov sat on his wheel the entire way breathing through is nose......:rolleyes:

Not just that, but he also responded to every one of those Di Luca attacks not to mention won a mountain-top finish with a nasty sprint effort at the summit.

Yeah I have a hard time believing Menchov was clean.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
he has some good parties tho

http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cach...labert+cocaine+party&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Jalabert drug party blamed for addiction
During the first day of hearings in the "Cahors" trial, Laurent Roux's younger brother Fabien testified that it was former professional and current French TV consultant Laurent Jalabert who first introduced him to "pot belge". "I was initiated to using pot belge during a party with Laurent Jalabert in 2001," the 24 year-old said. "Together with other professionals, I've seen him injecting himself in the garage of his house that evening. It was a party organised by his fan club. It's frequent in the cycling world. These parties take place during the off-season. I came with my brother, who was a professional. The whole team of the cyclist who was hosting participated in these parties - from mechanic to soigneur."

Roux said he thus consumed the drug mix for the first time in the presence of Jalabert. "It was offered by the rider who hosted the party," he added. Later during the trial, a former teammate of Laurent Jalabert at CSC-Tiscali, who was heard as a witness, confirmed Roux's accusations.

Hasn't that pot belge story been refuted as well though BC?

Again, not saying Jalabert was clean. Impossible. No one who raced during that time was clean. At least no one who had any results.

I believe Roux was also a rider who admitted to being an addict. Saying he was eventually addicted to pot belge not just for performance, but for the high. I may have him confused with Laurent Brouchard though, who I believe also had pot belge issues.

What a mess!

Back to the thyroid issue. It wouldn't surprise me if that were true about Floyd, as he had to be on the full program. Still bummed more by his and his legal team's behavior. Floyd was fun to watch on a bike. Hope he didn't ruin his health for good if this is all true.

Anyone remember at least two forum members openly talking about post-cycling career health issues related to doping?

:(