• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tim Wellens thread

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He has been very good in Februari before, even in Omloop a few years back. Never raced Kuurne tho. Let's see if he's actually still good after Paris Nice or Tirreno because thats when he often faded. I don't think he's better than the best Wellens (2017,2018, 2019), but he looks to be that Wellens again, and that Wellens has always been a joy to watch. People often forget how good he actually was before 2020 (even tho he still won 2 Vuelta stages then). Don't really know what happened to him the last 2 years (last year he looked really good before Omloop but then he got sick). Definitely good that he tries something else.

I hope he just forgets about the Ardennes honestly and completely focusses on flemish races plus Amstel this and the upcoming years. I always wanted him to at Lotto but his love for the Ardennes was too strong.

here in the Belgian Media they say that this is a Wellens they have never seen before. he breaks open the race today and yesterday he was the strongest in the race after Van Baarle together with De Lie. how he attacked the wall yesterday was impressive. maybe it's good for him to be in a team where he's not the leader every race? that way he doesn't have to give 100% every time.

Reactions: Sandisfan
here in the Belgian Media they say that this is a Wellens they have never seen before. he breaks open the race today and yesterday he was the strongest in the race after Van Baarle together with De Lie. how he attacked the wall yesterday was impressive. maybe it's good for him to be in a team where he's not the leader every race? that way he doesn't have to give 100% every time.

Well if the Belgian media says one thing, it means the opposite is true. You're talking about the guy that has been on the podium in Omloop before (while being the strongest in the race), on the podium in Strade, 5th in Paris Nice, won Brabantse Pijl with ease, won Eneco Tour multiple times (again with ease), Got top 10s in Asmtel and Fleche, won Tour of Pologne back when it was actually a good race, won stages in the Giro and Vuelta, ... People just easily forget and the media just does it because it makes a great title and article. They were writing the same things after his Ruta del Sol performance while he literally won that before by beating some of the best climber uphill at that time. They simply have no idea what they're talking about.

Yes I also think it's good for him that he isn't the leader at UAE. Way less pressure and he knows it's not the worse thing ever if he fails to deliver in some bigger classics later as Pog will be leader anyways, but this is not the first time he has been that strong on the Muur. Even last year in the Brussels Cycling Classic he was the best on the Muur, with only Ben Turner being able to follow his wheel if I remember correctly. Bosberg often was a problem for him tho, he looked good on it yesterday.

• Wow
Well if the Belgian media says one thing, it means the opposite is true. You're talking about the guy that has been on the podium in Omloop before (while being the strongest in the race), on the podium in Strade, 5th in Paris Nice, won Brabantse Pijl with ease, won Eneco Tour multiple times (again with ease), Got top 10s in Asmtel and Fleche, won Tour of Pologne back when it was actually a good race, won stages in the Giro and Vuelta, ... People just easily forget and the media just does it because it makes a great title and article. They were writing the same things after his Ruta del Sol performance while he literally won that before by beating some of the best climber uphill at that time. They simply have no idea what they're talking about.

Yes I also think it's good for him that he isn't the leader at UAE. Way less pressure and he knows it's not the worse thing ever if he fails to deliver in some bigger classics later as Pog will be leader anyways, but this is not the first time he has been that strong on the Muur. Even last year in the Brussels Cycling Classic he was the best on the Muur, with only Ben Turner being able to follow his wheel if I remember correctly. Bosberg often was a problem for him tho, he looked good on it yesterday.
Yeah, the guy is aways flying in February and early to mid March, 2 years ago he also finished 7th on the gc in Tirreno-Adriatico, against a really strong field. Him flying at the start of the season is pretty usual

Yeah, the guy is aways flying in February and early to mid March, 2 years ago he also finished 7th on the gc in Tirreno-Adriatico, against a really strong field. Him flying at the start of the season is pretty usual

I even forgot his Tirreno performance, and it's not even long ago. The thing is, at Lotto people (media, team, fans and himself) then started expecting him to perform in the Ardennes too because of his early form but apart from 1 or 2 years when he did pretty good he was always pretty bad. Now that he's with UAE that's not going to matter, he just needs to be good enough to do his job for Pogacar in those races, noone is going to look at him to be top 5 in Amstel, or top 10 in Fleche or Liege. And I would even say that having Pog next to him at Amstel might benefit him. As that is the only hilly classic he can actually follow in if he's good. In the end people will remember that he was good here and not that he "failed" later in the season cause he will be working for someone else then, at Lotto that was obviously completely different.

UAE Team Emirates confirmed that Wellens – who was among those that came off in the large crash sparked by Filip Maciejuk (Bahrain Victorious) – broke his left collarbone and would undergo surgery.
"Collarbone in 4 pieces. A lot of pain, but should already be much better in a few days," Wellens said on Twitter (opens in new tab) early Monday while also thanking those who sent messages and the hospital workers in Oudenaarde & Herentals.

• Sad
Reactions: Valanga
He doesn't think Maciejuk deserves extra punishment. Tim being a gentlemen like always.

"It wasn't a smart move from him. But I think Maciejuk has been punished enough already on social media. I don't know him personally, but I think he would've given his collarbone to not be the cause of the crash. Today I had call with one of my teammates and he thinks otherwise, he thinks Maciejuk can't be punished enough. But I don't really care, my collarbone stays broken no matter what. I honestly think Lampaerts actions last year were worse than what Maciejuk did. That costed me the win in the Tour of Belgium."

First race back will probably be Tour de Suisse. Is on the long list for the Tour de France, together with 11 others.

Tim Wellens said:
"I honestly think Lampaerts actions last year were worse than what Maciejuk did. That costed me the win in the Tour of Belgium."
What a joke. First of all, he isn't the only victim of what happened yesterday. Half the peloton saw the race go up un smoke for them, and i'm sure he's not the only one with some sort of injury.
Furthermore, he would rather have months of inactivity, loss of form, physical discomfort, pain, hospital, not being able to do his job for the team, not being able to ride for a victory to begin with. Had Maciejuk crashed him out before the Tour of Belgium, he wouldn't even have been able to compete there to begin with. So who knows which opportunities he now won't be able to seize because of his injury?

He doesn't think Maciejuk deserves extra punishment. Tim being a gentlemen like always.

"It wasn't a smart move from him. But I think Maciejuk has been punished enough already on social media. I don't know him personally, but I think he would've given his collarbone to not be the cause of the crash. Today I had call with one of my teammates and he thinks otherwise, he thinks Maciejuk can't be punished enough. But I don't really care, my collarbone stays broken no matter what. I honestly think Lampaerts actions last year were worse than what Maciejuk did. That costed me the win in the Tour of Belgium."

First race back will probably be Tour de Suisse. Is on the long list for the Tour de France, together with 11 others.
Class act. Great cyclist and a even greater human being! Chapeau Tim. Pogi will miss you in Liege.

What a joke. First of all, he isn't the only victim of what happened yesterday. Half the peloton saw the race go up un smoke for them, and i'm sure he's not the only one with some sort of injury.
Apart from the obvious exaggeration, so what? Why is that a joke? Why can Wellens not decide not to bear a grudge and not to consider what happened to merit a ban? Other people were injured, so the person who was (as far as we know) most badly injured has no right to an opinion on the matter?
Furthermore, he would rather have months of inactivity, loss of form, physical discomfort, pain, hospital, not being able to do his job for the team, not being able to ride for a victory to begin with. Had Maciejuk crashed him out before the Tour of Belgium, he wouldn't even have been able to compete there to begin with. So who knows which opportunities he now won't be able to seize because of his injury?
So is it your contention that an accident, happening because of the UCI's habitual failure to apply rules such that all riders (including Wellens, who had just done exactly the same thing) will use pavements and other roadside tracks to move up, is more worthy to punishment than deliberate dangerous riding to steal a result for a teammate?

TRENDING THREADS