• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tim Wellens thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Flamin said:
BigMac said:
He was bold enough to attack last year on Bergamo Alta, even had a decent gap by the mid of the climb. Still finished 4th which is impressive.

PS: Nice avatar. :p

Thanks, you 2 :p we had the same thoughts. But I hope it's temporary because I want Greg in stripes!
Absolutely! After Valverde, GVA is the rider I want the most to win the WC. He would be an awesome WC and well deserved after all his aggressive riding :)

Hugo Koblet said:
Flamin said:
BigMac said:
He was bold enough to attack last year on Bergamo Alta, even had a decent gap by the mid of the climb. Still finished 4th which is impressive.

PS: Nice avatar. :p

Thanks, you 2 :p we had the same thoughts. But I hope it's temporary because I want Greg in stripes!
Absolutely! After Valverde, GVA is the rider I want the most to win the WC. He would be an awesome WC and well deserved after all his aggressive riding :)

Yes, I will go completely berserk if that happens :cool:

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I don't know what it is with Wellens, but i think his victory salutes are really arrogant. Come on boy, show some emotion and hapiness. You're only some decent talent after all.

Flamin said:
To have a realistic shot, I think he should consider attacking on Colma di Sormano and hope some decent riders join him. Although it would be understandable if he thinks he can go head to head against the big boys (many of them are likely less fresh than him) in this kind of shape.
If he's still in the group on top of Civiglio I'll slap him hard :D

Tim was a bit dissapointed he attacked. He would've preferred to wait for the Mur. Next year he'll definitely wait.

"There was an attack on the penultimate climb and no one from the team was there so I couldn't resist the urge to go behind them."

Re:

Billie said:
Tim was a bit dissapointed he attacked. He would've preferred to wait for the Mur. Next year he'll definitely wait.

"There was an attack on the penultimate climb and no one from the team was there so I couldn't resist the urge to go behind them."
He is a bit like Sagan. No reason for him to attack early, attacks early anyway :D

To be fair especially in AGR he couldn't have known how slow they would go up the Cauberg but I'm 100% sure he could have followed Gaspa easily.

Gigs_98 said:
Billie said:

He is a bit like Sagan. No reason for him to attack early, attacks early anyway :D

To be fair especially in AGR he couldn't have known how slow they would go up the Cauberg but I'm 100% sure he could have followed Gaspa easily.

I think there was every reason for Tim to attack. He didn't have anything to lose. He won't win Flèche on the Mur against the goats, attacking on the approach to Huy or before is the only way. Telling that he his rethinking his strategy, if only more contenders would go with him he'd be talking differently.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
He should try an attack at the false flat after Roche Aux Faucons. If he has some strong company, that move may stick right until the end

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Sunday Wellens could be the man to beat, if it ends up in a man-to-man race. He has the team to put pressure on early, and once everyone is isolated in the wet cold, no one has a better solo in the legs. And he's one of the only Ardennes guys I can actually cheer for anyways. Setting out to attack and delivering every single time. Go Tim!

He's like the last brave ardennes man in a field full of Valverde's and Gerranses..

Though, that be said, he's called brave for attacking on the penultimate climb, still a far cry from the men that opened the race at 35km 10 years ago. But still the best we can hope for in the modern era. I'll be cheering for Wellens on sunday. At least once some courage should be rewarded

Re:

Pentacycle said:
Sunday Wellens could be the man to beat, if it ends up in a man-to-man race. He has the team to put pressure on early, and once everyone is isolated in the wet cold, no one has a better solo in the legs. And he's one of the only Ardennes guys I can actually cheer for anyways. Setting out to attack and delivering every single time. Go Tim!

Have you looked at the starlist? Do you really think that Lotto has what it takes to isolate Valverde and Martin/Alaphilippe? Movistar and Etixx won't be dropped at the same time by the effort of Lotto alone. Look at today. Etixx had almost everybody at the end: Jungels and De Plus attacked inside the last 15, Vakoc got dropped with about 10 to go and Brambilla was still left to do the leadout for Martin and Alaphilippe. Just checked the results, Vakoc was actually their worst rider ...

I'm at fault for not having posted here sooner. Wellens is definitely one of the most exciting riders around, I'll cheer for him everywhere because of that. Such a contrast to other riders like Kelderman who sprints for whatever place he can on AGR instead of going on the attack.

Wellens has attacked on AGR, FW, now I hope he still has a couple of bullets left for Sunday :)

Re:

Pentacycle said:
Spot on.
Definately my favorite rider at the moment.

trevim said:
I'm at fault for not having posted here sooner. Wellens is definitely one of the most exciting riders around, I'll cheer for him everywhere because of that. Such a contrast to other riders like Kelderman who sprints for whatever place he can on AGR instead of going on the attack.

Wellens has attacked on AGR, FW, now I hope he still has a couple of bullets left for Sunday :)
It's funny though, the only time Kelderman attacked he had his best placing in Pais Vasco. And STILL he doesn't get it. Keldermans best results came from attacking (also in the Giro he did).. yet he prefers to follow. Weird

#panache

0O6ezgc.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts