• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Time Bonuses in Giro & Vuelta?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should Time bonuses in the Giro & Vuelta be scrapped?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I remember that in Armstrong era everyone was moaning about time bonuses because it gave too much advantage to LA. When they were removed people moaned that the racing is too boring. Regardless the existence or non-existence of time bonuses someone will be unhappy.
I am against time bonuses because the winner should spend less time in distance. If GT winner hasn't won any stages it doesn't mean he is less worthy winner. However, if there are bonuses then time bonuses should be given to winners of all stages including ITTs and TTTs. I have never understood why ITTs and TTTs are being discriminated.

I don't mind time bonuses but I don't think that every stage race needs them or has to have them. The TDF has been better without them but if the Vuelta and Giro have them so be it. Stage for stage over three weeks the TDF is still the hardest race even if the Giro has provided good entertainment and a more challenging route in the mountains in the past few years. Even the Vuelta has improved. Each race is different and I like it that way.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
gooner said:
There is no way time bonuses should be scrapped. Just look at the 2010 Tour when Contador allowed Schleck to win the stage to the Tourmalet. Do you think he would of allowed that if there was a time bonus at the line? I fear this is more of what we would see if there was no time bonuses. You see a lot more aggressive action in the final Kms of a mountain stage among the GC as a result of time bonuses at the finish.
Ummm... contador gifted 2 stages to tiralongo and rujano tihs year even though there are time bonuses

guncha said:
I remember that in Armstrong era everyone was moaning about time bonuses because it gave too much advantage to LA. When they were removed people moaned that the racing is too boring. Regardless the existence or non-existence of time bonuses someone will be unhappy.
I am against time bonuses because the winner should spend less time in distance. If GT winner hasn't won any stages it doesn't mean he is less worthy winner. However, if there are bonuses then time bonuses should be given to winners of all stages including ITTs and TTTs. I have never understood why ITTs and TTTs are being discriminated.
There is no need for time bonuses in the TT's because by being faster than your opponents you get a time bonus anyway :confused:

The chances of finishing a TT in the same time as your main opponents are tiny so they are unnecessary, unlike a road stage where groups arriving together at the finish line are the norm. The time bonus is an excellent incentive to discourage riders from simply rolling in and getting the s.t.