• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Time out settings

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I've got a minor nuisance complaint. It is regarding the time out settings for the forum - I find them to be excessively short.

Allow me to be sure that we are clearly communicating. I am speaking of the automatic time-out that the webpages put into action when one is logged in. If the web page scripts detect no actions for a preset time, the scripts log one out.

It must be set to about 5 minutes, or something like. I will log in to answer a forum post, and before I finish writing the answer, I have been logged out by the automatic page time-out. This would just be a nuisance if this were the only consequence - but I have lost a few posts because the web page scripts did not properly save what I had written when I had to log in again!

I can see no reason for the CN Forums to be a high security site - my banks take more time to time me out than the CN Forums do. So I request that the time-out length be reset to something reasonable and more in accord with the usage of the site. I would suggest 20 to 30 minutes.