• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tire question - shoestring budget, can afford one

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm on a shoestring budget, seriously, and need a new rear tire for my road bike. I put in a lot of miles - did a century on Saturday and one again on Sunday last weekend. Been running Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps front and rear for a while - rear tire rubber wore through. Do some local rides with occasional paceline so the speed is up at times.

Question is, looked at Bontrager Race X-Light and Schwalbe (don't know the model type) for a rear tire only. Going to stick with the Vredestein on the front for now as I can only afford a rear tire. Also, want to stick with a 700x23 on the rear.

I want a no hassle tire - one thing I liked about the Vredestein was the quality of the tire and the ride is very much to my liking. Any help on experience with Bontrager vs Schwalbe, quality, comments, whatever is greatly appreciated. My bike is part of my serenity right now as I am unemployed so acquiring a tire and putting in some miles is important. Thanks and Ciao.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I have used the Vreds for two years and loved them. The last set I got seemed like they may have been in the warehouse too long. I replaced them with Continental Gran Prix 4000 S (don't miss the S) from ProBikeKit.com $41 a piece NO SHIPPING! Bicycling Magazine did a long term test on these tires and loved them. I have ridden over 500 miles on these and they are my new tire of choice. I have recommended them to two friends guaranteeing them that if they don't like them I will buy them, so far they love them too.
http://www.bestbikestuff.com/?page_id=13

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but....

I'll be honest, as I am basically starting over in life due to some f**k ups that I am not proud of. I have ridden Contis in the past and certainly had good success on them and I enjoyed riding them, but....

Due to my past, I currently have no bank account, no bank card, and no credit card so my only source for purchasing a tire is paying with cash through my LBS and having to settle on what stock they have. Plus, I just want to go buy a tire by the end of the week.

If anyone can comment on Bontrager or Schwalbe tires I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I too am on a low budget. Though you are asking about Bonetrager and Schwalbe tires, I just thought I'd mention Michelin. I'm uncertain of the model I'm using at the moment. However, my experience has been that they have a good road feel, are durable, and offer high mileage. I think I got 3500 mi. on my last set.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
since you are not racing and need durability and low cost. (and lets face the reality.. all of the armchair racers out there that insist you need DA and top end kevlar tires could stand to pass up on the pizza once week instead of spending $$$ on a few grams anyway, and yes I raced for 12 years .. AND can stand to loose oh say more then a FEW pounds now) go with the Schwalbe wire bead Blizzard HS tire. sure it is heavier.. but it is cheaper and rolls almost the same as the high end kevlar stuff and with a list of under$30 and the fact it will wear a long time. you can't go wrong. I have found the bonti's to fragile for my taste. but then again I aint a light one soI tearup tires. even when I was racing. Now once you get back on your feet we can talk tubulars.. but that is for a later date. It's a training tire so go have fun and not worry about it people. my advice on training tires, wire bead, kevlar belt, 23 or 25 and go ride!!! ( and does anybody really need to care the colour of your tires. please.. !!)

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Picked up a tire today - done deal!

Bought a tire today - Vredestein Fiammante DuoComp. Hopefully will be just fine. Had to go into the city and remembered a shop I had not been in for quite a while and they carry Vredesteins. To top it off, the price was in my range - they thought the price was wrong but I bought it for what it was marked. Thanks for all responses/comments. When I get a few more bucks going to try a pair of Michelins or Contis. Ciao!

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Hmmmmm said:
Bought a tire today - Vredestein Fiammante DuoComp. Hopefully will be just fine. Had to go into the city and remembered a shop I had not been in for quite a while and they carry Vredesteins. To top it off, the price was in my range - they thought the price was wrong but I bought it for what it was marked. Thanks for all responses/comments. When I get a few more bucks going to try a pair of Michelins or Contis. Ciao!

Glad you found a tire in your price range.

I was on a team that was sponsored by IRC about 9 years ago and we got race tires & training tires. I used sewups for racing and they didn't make any.
However the training tire was called IRC Triathlon, it was kevlar belted and we got addicted to them. Eventually the whole team started racing on them
Why? Because they had a nice feel to them and we NEVER flatted. In the two years we ran them, racing & training the entire team incurred one flat and that was in the rain(huge chunk of glass) Those tires retailed for about 15 dollars each, i think they stopped making them because yo rarely had to replace them. Conversely the IRC red tires which were sticky in the rain would only make it through a couple races and would shred it you hit any debris.

Every once in awhile you will see a IRC triathlon on ebay for 9 or 10 bucks
buy it!

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
One of the local shops is selling IRC Red Storms - I looked at them but had my doubts. I think they are trying to get rid of them. Strange looking tire though I usually go with performance over the look when it comes to things like the rubber under me. I did a century on Saturday (113 miles) with the new Vredestein on the back and it performed flawlessly - even did some work with a couple other riders for about 10 miles, trading off the front, and as usual, the Vredesteins were singing in tune. Man, I love this sport! Now I need to refine my climbing skills....:D

guess i saw this thread too late - i had the bontragers you mentioned. decent all weather tyre that lasted quite well.
i moved on to vittoria rubino pro and conti ultrasport and both have done well so far after grabbing them in sales

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Michelins seem to last me the longest, they leave a little to be desired in the feel department, but If I could only afford one that would have to be it.

If money is no object I love the S-Works Mondos from specialized, the decend like no ones bussiness.

TRENDING THREADS