• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

To convert a 10sp hub to 11spd hub?

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
hello all
I can't find a thread on this subject, so forgive me if there is one already, but nevertheless:
My 10spd D-A Di2 has failed with little point to invest money in fixing what is obsolete, as a beta test version. Therefore i wish to put 11spd Ultegra Di2 on instead. This is simple enough.
My mechanic seems to think that he can convert the 10spd hub to 11spd (it Fulcrum racing zero) by exchanging the guts, and if he can that will save money and possibly be of interest to others who seek a similar economic move to 11spd without having to buy a new rear wheel.
I will report back as to what my mechanic manages to do (or not) but in the meantime I wonder what other mechs on this forum might think of this in the first place?
Thanks

welcome to the forum

shimano/sram 11 speed cassettes are wider than 8 9 10 speed ones so yes, you need a new wider free hub body

campy cassettes are the same width for 9 10 & 11spd

for 11 spd road drivetrains shimano uses a 1.85mm wider hub with the drive side flange closer to the centerline to compensate for the additional width

using a spacer allows the wheel to be backwards compatible to fit a 10 spd cassette

as far as i know you can't fit a 11spd freehub in place of a 10spd freehub unless the wheel has been built to accommodate it

maybe someone with more knowledge / experience can help out?

mods / admin - can we move this to workshop & maintenance please

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the prompt reply JackRabbitSlims
The wheels are from 2012. It seems that it could be done if the freehub interface did not change thereafter for the shimano fit. It did not for the Campy.
I had a look at the fulcrum tech manual and spare parts catalogue but without a technically forensic mind i was left unenlightened as regards a retrofit.
If i hear nothing any time soon (on her or from my mechanic) i will call fulcrum and see what they say.
I refer to this for some extra info, though inconclusive:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/components-wrenching/fulcrum-racing-3-wheels-2012s-earlier-11-speed-cassette-316496.html

A thing apart: all dogma frames are compatible with the internal battery di2 system.

ItalBob said:
hello all
I can't find a thread on this subject, so forgive me if there is one already, but nevertheless:
My 10spd D-A Di2 has failed with little point to invest money in fixing what is obsolete, as a beta test version. Therefore i wish to put 11spd Ultegra Di2 on instead. This is simple enough.
My mechanic seems to think that he can convert the 10spd hub to 11spd (it Fulcrum racing zero) by exchanging the guts, and if he can that will save money and possibly be of interest to others who seek a similar economic move to 11spd without having to buy a new rear wheel.
I will report back as to what my mechanic manages to do (or not) but in the meantime I wonder what other mechs on this forum might think of this in the first place?
Thanks

Campagnolo, maker of Fulcrum, does indeed have a freehub body that will bolt right onto that wheel, and then you will be shimano 11s compatible.

The part number is

FH-BUU015X..plug and play, just remove the other, put this one on.

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Bustedknuckle, Campagnolo agree with you!
It was indeed simply a matter of swapping out the freehub as the interface has remained the same. No other changes necessary.
Thanks

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I believe that if the wheel came with a shimano 10 speed freehub the change to an 11 speed shimano freehub would still require redishing the wheel but since fulcrum wheels accept a Campy freehub the fix here is simpler. just change to a campy free hub and buy a Campy 11 speed cassette to use with your shimano Di2 11 speed gear. I am not familiar with the part # so cannot say if this is a shimano or campy freehub.

Re:

Master50 said:
I believe that if the wheel came with a shimano 10 speed freehub the change to an 11 speed shimano freehub would still require redishing the wheel but since fulcrum wheels accept a Campy freehub the fix here is simpler. just change to a campy free hub and buy a Campy 11 speed cassette to use with your shimano Di2 11 speed gear. I am not familiar with the part # so cannot say if this is a shimano or campy freehub.

FH-BUU015X

shimano/HG 11s compatible FH body made by Campagnolo.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Bustedknuckle said:
Master50 said:

FH-BUU015X

BK
Does this compensate for the dishing difference required from 10 speed shimano to 11 without having to redish on fulcrum wheels? Sorry I don't know that it does. A wheel built for a shimano 10 speed freehub made by campy would not have been dished for 11 speed cassette. Current 11 speed wheels can be converted for 10 speed by adding a spacer. Campy free hubs are compatible 9 10 and 11. the fact that Campy makes the 10 and 11 speed free hubs is irrelevant if they are made to match shimano spec.I am sure that redishing the 10 speed wheels is possible as most Campy and fulcrum wheels use spokes that should permit it.

Master50 said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Master50 said:

FH-BUU015X

BK
Does this compensate for the dishing difference required from 10 speed shimano to 11 without having to redish on fulcrum wheels? Sorry I don't know that it does. A wheel built for a shimano 10 speed freehub made by campy would not have been dished for 11 speed cassette. Current 11 speed wheels can be converted for 10 speed by adding a spacer. Campy free hubs are compatible 9 10 and 11. the fact that Campy makes the 10 and 11 speed free hubs is irrelevant if they are made to match shimano spec.I am sure that redishing the 10 speed wheels is possible as most Campy and fulcrum wheels use spokes that should permit it.

No, plug and play..the shoulders are closer to the hub shell, with a longer FH body, but the result is no redish required when going from shimano 10s to 11s on Campagnolo/Fulcrum wheels.

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Seeing as how the shimano 10 speed line just got updated to a new, better (albeit less compatible) cable pull ratio, and that groupset (tiagra) recently takes a wider gear range than the more expensive stuff (allows 34t), it's hard to call 10 speed "obsolete" with a sincere face, but of course the O.P. knew this. He meant to say, obsolete for his particular use case/needs/preferences. For 99.9% of the riding public, or at least that fraction of them that live in really hilly places, one might wonder if the dura-ace stuff isn't "obsolete" for not having the latest greatest gear range acceptance. Personally, I bought 105 10 speed speed stuff recently. I told myself it's for compatibility, but the price was good and I do like more chrome, so I'm not claiming to be above it all. Anyway, under active development is not the same as obsolete in my dictionary, probably also not for anyone who has to worry about the price of a wheel rebuild.

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Reading again, I guess the O.P. means to refer to his setup simply as an obsolete implementation of Di2, not that 10 speed as a whole is obsolete, my mistake. In fact the newer 10 speed stuff probably makes that particular setup even more obsolete unfortunately.

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site

frankenbike said:
Reading again, I guess the O.P. means to refer to his setup simply as an obsolete implementation of Di2, not that 10 speed as a whole is obsolete, my mistake. In fact the newer 10 speed stuff probably makes that particular setup even more obsolete unfortunately.

Yes, frankenbike, I was referring to the obsolescence of the 10spd D-A di2, the spare parts of which are not easy to find as they have been discontinued by Shimano, and any future failures could be at least time-consuming in sourcing the parts, if indeed there are any left. I found only 1 derailleur in 1 month of searching, but many possibilities to buy the full 10spd groupset. Frustrating and i needed to bight the bullet and decide too quickly, really. I lamented my seduction by electronic in that period, but that passed.
My other bike is 10spd mech, for lugging about in winter rather than riding fast, but with no fear of failure! :)

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
I can back up those that say adjustment to the wheel dish will not be required. I just converted my 2003 Campagnolo Eurus wheels from 9 spd Dura Ace to 11 spd Campagnolo with the fitment of the freewheel body and updated axle. Works perfectly with no change in wheel dish.

Re:

Lynton said:
I can back up those that say adjustment to the wheel dish will not be required. I just converted my 2003 Campagnolo Eurus wheels from 9 spd Dura Ace to 11 spd Campagnolo with the fitment of the freewheel body and updated axle. Works perfectly with no change in wheel dish.

If you could have found an older, non-lobed FH body, you wouldn't even needed the axle(2008 item).

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
Lynton said:

If you could have found an older, non-lobed FH body, you wouldn't even needed the axle(2008 item).

The problem is some parts are getting hard to find for these wheels. I had to search for a long time for replacement spokes.

Lynton said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Lynton said:

The problem is some parts are getting hard to find for these wheels. I had to search for a long time for replacement spokes.

Unfortunately true with any 'wheelsouttaboxes'..proprietary wheels of any manufacturer.

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
Lynton said:
Bustedknuckle said:
Lynton said:

Unfortunately true with any 'wheelsouttaboxes'..proprietary wheels of any manufacturer.

Very true, why would they want to keep producing spares because if they did we would not buy newer models from them.