• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom Danielson is done

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
TD's twitter today.

Feeling better and even did a ride today. So many people up here in the Pyrenees for Easter. Unbelievable

I find the whole "food poisoning" story hard to fathom. When you're riding at that level and during a race, almost every meal is prepared for you, or made available to you by the team. The only usual exceptions to this are things like energy bars and drinks. Even the water you consume is bottled and usually handed out by the team.

Now he might come back and do something great later this year, but I really doubt it. Tom just seems like a fragile rider. Every rider gets sick, crashes, has aches and pains. But for some reason, they happen to Tom all the time, at the worst times. He reminds me of the spoiled child who stays home sick from school a lot.

If Tom were riding for someone like Cyrille Guimard or Eddy B he would have been relegated back to carrying bottles in continental races long ago.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I agree with your statement Alpe d'Huez on the food poisoning. I would believe his Nth food poisoning issue as much as needing to take a shower to have a doping control test.

What is Johnny V making Tommy D eat off the floor because he sucks so bad? Ride like a dog eat like one I guess :p

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
DejanS said:
Did he not finished top 10 at the Vuelta several years ago??

Funny thing, when TD was Discovery's leader at the Vuelta and finished in the top 10, he struggled mightily, and owed a lot of his success to Stijn Devolder (with Disco at the time), who pretty much towed him through the second half of the race.

Talk about differences in career trajectories! Can you imagine Devolder being TD's domestique these days?

Alpe d'Huez said:
I find the whole "food poisoning" story hard to fathom. When you're riding at that level and during a race, almost every meal is prepared for you, or made available to you by the team. The only usual exceptions to this are things like energy bars and drinks. Even the water you consume is bottled and usually handed out by the team.

Maybe Garmin could hire an official food taster for TD, much like kings used to use to prevent poisoning. Or Tommy D. could start surviving on TV dinners; he could carry a supply with him where ever he goes.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
cyclevelo said:
Today in Pais Vasco he finished over 10 minutes back. How can someone that is training for the GT and expect to be at the top finish 10m back? I just don't think he has it in him. Maybe he doesn't have to finish with the leaders but he can't keep getting dropped off the back like this. I just don't think he has it in him to finish in the front on any consecutive basis.

He never had it to begin with.
Not his fault all the hype was made abou him. Next great white hope.
Poor guy tried, he just isn't good enough, both mentally and physically.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Epicycle said:
Maybe he just can't do it without Ferrari.

3420663378_bbef00ec74_o.jpg

He had food poisoning the day he had an appointment to see Ferrari...........ALLEGEDLY........:)

Mar 10, 2009
sportifimages.com
cyclevelo said:
Today in Pais Vasco he finished over 10 minutes back. How can someone that is training for the GT and expect to be at the top finish 10m back? I just don't think he has it in him. Maybe he doesn't have to finish with the leaders but he can't keep getting dropped off the back like this. I just don't think he has it in him to finish in the front on any consecutive basis.

Have you ever heard of a tactical retreat or a strategic:eek: withdrawal??

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
lauaxeta said:
He had food poisoning the day he had an appointment to see Ferrari...........ALLEGEDLY........:)

He got to see Ferrari??????? Who hooked him up with Ferrari.... Not many get to see him. Must have been Lance.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
He has had that for a while. Magnus had his own coffee too, Viking Brew. I wonder which brand the Garmin riders used last year.

You really think the Garmin riders are just on Coffee? Ha! Ya right!

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
GT races

Not strictly related to the Danielson, but I do think the obsession with GT races, esp. the Tour de France, has "corrupted" cycling, in the sense of taking away from it/debasing it. The media, sponsors, OLN/Versus, and the Armstrong phenom. etc. have all contributed to this, intentionally or unintentionally. There are so many other races and riders who could win them if they dropped their obsession with making GT breakthroughs.

I wish Valverde, Kirchen, Cunego, etc. would focus on the one-day races exclusively and forget the GTs. Maybe the sponsors won't allow them to?

Look how well they did last when they focused even slightly on day races last year, and the devastation they suffer each time with misguided runs at GT races. Best day by far in last year's Tour was Valverde vs. Kirchen in that early uphill stage finish, before everyone was lobotomized by the fatigue of more than a week of racing.

Danielson may be too delicate physically and overall, etc. for GTs (after all, Lance didn't crush everyone else just by being a nice guy; to the contrary, he's one tough SOB), but there must some races TD could win if he focused on them alone, instead of using them as training for GTs. GT are a desert mirage destroying some riders' careers.

Guess my point is there are horses for courses. Let's have some more focus on the various courses for the well-being of the riders and cycling generally.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
Two more points, not to beat this to death

1) riders are crucifying themselves on the cross of GT objectives. Simple as that.

2) track & field became far healthier with the intro. of biannual world championships, which have taken some of the insane focus off the Olympics, which, yes, are thoroughly corrupting sport (just like the GTs are corrupting cycling). (The analogy of world championships doesn'apply to cycling, but the principle does of spreading out the glory, that is, the races to focus on).

Far healthier for cycling generally, and riders like TD, Valverde, Cunego, etc.

Apr 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm not exactly sure I'd group TD with Valverde, Cunego et al....

I agree with what JV speculated at TD's initial Garmin-Slipstream press conference: TD is best suited to one-week tours. I don't think he has the explosiveness (more of a diesel climber) or tactical acumen to do well in one-day races.