• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tom 'Pidders' Pidcock

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 24, 2020
Visit site
Finally, the day has come. For those of us in God's own county, this has been a day to look forward to for a few years. Shame about the team, but it was inevitable I guess. I hope he's allowed to race with freedom. Really looking forward to see what he can do at Strade Bianche. Now if someone can just edit that ridiculous "Pidders" out of the thread title, all will be well.

Yes, what's up with all the mockery?
Maybe he's destined to go by Tom "the cockshy" Pidders

It's not real. Once again proving that he isn't the brightest. How can he seriously believe that his 'casual' run with a rain jacket and everything was good enough for 10th place at the last athletics WC? Only 5 seconds off of Farahs 5k record. I mean come on. The actual time should be at least 16 minutes. Check the strava file, it's all over the place (GPS inaccuracies, start/stop, ...)

No specific training but as a crosser probably does one run a week during winter. Still, that won't be at max pace and doesn't lend itself to crazy fast times like that.

looked it up on world athletics.org and that time, had it been done on a track and electronically timed, would have been top 15 in Europe.

Maybe he should be checking how good his swimming is as he can clearly smash the other two disciplines of the Triathlon.

Bad GPS data.

Whole discussion on it here: https://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read.php?thread=10423543

Anyway, it looks like the loop where he was doing much of his TT is ~1008 meters:

It's hard to tell because the GPS track is so bad, but it looks like he was running laps between 3:01 and 3:20 until he stopped. I see 4 "hot" laps totaling about 12:45 (he stopped the TT in the middle of lap 5). So, 12:45 for 4032m is 15:49 5k pace, which seems plausible.

I don't doubt that he could be a damn good runner if he wanted to, but no one accidentally runs 5km in 13:25 on a random neighborhood loop, wearing a windbreaker and trainers.

It's not real. Once again proving that he isn't the brightest. How can he seriously believe that his 'casual' run with a rain jacket and everything was good enough for 10th place at the last athletics WC? Only 5 seconds off of Farahs 5k record. I mean come on. The actual time should be at least 16 minutes. Check the strava file, it's all over the place (GPS inaccuracies, start/stop, ...)
I don't know him so i won't make any claims about whether he's bright or not, but why would you take this as proof that he's "not the brightest"? Is he supposed to know all the times of all disciplines by heart? Anyone's first line of thinking would be that when you went for a run of "about 15 minutes" that this hardware/software which is specifically designed for this purpose, is correct when it tells you you ran 13 and a half minutes. He's a professional (top) athlete, who runs a lot and has been doing so and building up for the WCC cyclocross. It's not like he's a couch potato who decided to go for a run. Maybe somebody just told him "that's real fast" and he decided to post it in a spur of the moment, before knowing the facts about who ran what time in which conditions... or he would probably have realized the timing was off.

I'm posting this, just because you seem to like torching riders you don't like, while not knowing them or the circumstances. Just like you seem to know for a fact which riders are dopers and which riders are assholes. And the riders you do like, can do no wrong (they are all nice guys to hang around and don't dope and probably smart too). You can dislike whoever you want obviously, you just seem to have a tendency to form an opinion of riders based on whatever in order to take a dump on them.

He wrote "Apparently this is very quick :tearsofjoy: think I’m going to try again in a few days to validate this." To me, that shows he is suspicious of the legitimacy of the result anyway.

I suspect he might even by on a wind up. I wouldn't expect him to know that his "time" would have put him in the top 3 5 k road runners in the uk ... that's pretty nerdy stuff (and I'm an endurance running coach). He clearly doubts its veracity because he adds caveats about not wearing the watch for a while etc. I think he threw it out there on a fishing trip. Judging from the responses I've seen on all the athletics/running forums, he's going to need a bigger boat. :)

I don't know him so i won't make any claims about whether he's bright or not, but why would you take this as proof that he's "not the brightest"? Is he supposed to know all the times of all disciplines by heart? Anyone's first line of thinking would be that when you went for a run of "about 15 minutes" that this hardware/software which is specifically designed for this purpose, is correct when it tells you you ran 13 and a half minutes. He's a professional (top) athlete, who runs a lot and has been doing so and building up for the WCC cyclocross. It's not like he's a couch potato who decided to go for a run. Maybe somebody just told him "that's real fast" and he decided to post it in a spur of the moment, before knowing the facts about who ran what time in which conditions... or he would probably have realized the timing was off.

I'm posting this, just because you seem to like torching riders you don't like, while not knowing them or the circumstances. Just like you seem to know for a fact which riders are dopers and which riders are assholes. And the riders you do like, can do no wrong (they are all nice guys to hang around and don't dope and probably smart too). You can dislike whoever you want obviously, you just seem to have a tendency to form an opinion of riders based on whatever in order to take a dump on them.

He wrote "Apparently this is very quick :tearsofjoy: think I’m going to try again in a few days to validate this." To me, that shows he is suspicious of the legitimacy of the result anyway.

This is a valid point, but still definitely doesn't increase my appreciation towards the athlete. In addition to the totally unbelievable time, he posted having tried this "this morning". According to his Strava, this was run in December. I guess an interesting story is more important than facts...

This is a valid point, but still definitely doesn't increase my appreciation towards the athlete. In addition to the totally unbelievable time, he posted having tried this "this morning". According to his Strava, this was run in December. I guess an interesting story is more important than facts...

Well, it can't be December. He rode Namur on December 20th, after having won in Gavere on December 13th. No way we went between weekends from Belgium to UK back to Belgium with all the covid restrictions in place.

TRENDING THREADS