• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tony Martin calls it a Tour...

If Tony Martin suffered a concussion as a result of the stage one stack, I don't think it is in his best interests to continue. Because of current medical beliefs most other sports have a protocol in place that would not allow such a quick return to competition after a concussion. I think cycling should move in that direction too. I wish all the best to Mr. Martin, but I fear that continuing in the Tour may have serious long term consequences on his health.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
oldcrank said:
If Tony Martin suffered a concussion as a result of the stage one stack, I don't think it is in his best interests to continue. Because of current medical beliefs most other sports have a protocol in place that would not allow such a quick return to competition after a concussion. I think cycling should move in that direction too. I wish all the best to Mr. Martin, but I fear that continuing in the Tour may have serious long term consequences on his health.

I don't know that that's strictly true. In Rugby for instance, there is a restriction at club level on any player who has had a concussion playing again for a fortnight. However at Elite Level this is waved because national teams have almost instant access to MRI scanners and the decision can be made at the diagnostic, rather than than the precautionary level.

I don't know but I hope that this is the case with Tony Martin and that both he and OPQS have had the best medical advice available. I hope that he will be a major player in bother ITTs and will challenge for the third TT WC in succession this autumn. But I also hope that if his injuries are server enough, that his team and doctors will force him to retire from the Tour before he does any lasting damage.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
I imagine there would be quite a difference between sports where concussions are a relatively common (e.g., rugby, soccer, American Football) and sports like cycling where concussions are quite unusual.

At least my layperson's understanding of the reasoning behind limiting activity post-concussion is to prevent a second brain injury which could be significantly more serious if the first one is not healed.

In any case, here's hoping that Tony weathers the effects of his crash better this year!

Really? Cycling Is the Top Sport for Head Injuries

...According to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, cycling accidents played a role in about 86,000 of the 447,000 sports-related head injuries treated in emergency rooms in 2009. Football accounted for 47,000 of those head injuries, and baseball played a role in 38,394.

Cycling was also the leading cause of sports-related head injuries in children under 14, causing 40,272 injuries, roughly double the number related to football (21,878)....

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
StyrbjornSterki said:
Really? Cycling Is the Top Sport for Head Injuries

...According to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons, cycling accidents played a role in about 86,000 of the 447,000 sports-related head injuries treated in emergency rooms in 2009. Football accounted for 47,000 of those head injuries, and baseball played a role in 38,394.

Cycling was also the leading cause of sports-related head injuries in children under 14, causing 40,272 injuries, roughly double the number related to football (21,878)....

Played in at least 600 hockey games, no head injuries. One bike crash and knocked myself silly with a concussion.

If Martin is riding with a concussion, it is a bad idea. Hopefully he is OK.

TRENDING THREADS