• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 10 Sprinters

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Since we've discussed green jersey winners etc. and with a lot of us in fantasy tour de france leagues or looking to make some (friendly) bets, who can consistently finish high up in sprints? Note: this is not "who will win the green jersey?". If someone can consistently top 10 he's valuable too.

This is for both the uphill and flat finishes, going by this Tour de France.

My 10 would be:

Sagan
Cavendish
Goss
Greipel
Kittel
Petacchi
Farrar
EBH (when Cav leaves he might get more freedom in sprints)
Renshaw
Freire

others I considered:
Hutarovich
Bozic
Rojas
Gilbert
Dumoulin
Haedo

Let's come up with the best possible 10 for this Tour.

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Ventoso and Bennati/Top 10

Renkshaw was probably the best leadout man for Cav at HTC, but so far as an sprinter for RaboBank, he's not up to the task. Haussler must be reckoned with; Freire is a has been, .....New frenchies and Italians in the mix.........Pure sprinters on flat soil w/o leadout? Don't write off Boonen off yet:mad:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Cav
Greipel/Kittel
Sagan
Goss ? - has he ever won a more or less flat bunch sprint outside of the TDU? that's an actual question b/c if he has I forgot. I know he won a Grio stage but IIRC it was sort of uphill
Farrar (if he ever finds some form)/Pettacchi (if he refinds some)
Renshaw - which is being charitable
Freire - out of respect

Guardini obviously throttled Cav on one stage but is he riding?

Off the top of my head that's it for guys who can win.

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Nick C. said:
Cav
Greipel/Kittel
Sagan
Goss ? - has he ever won a more or less flat bunch sprint outside of the TDU? that's an actual question b/c if he has I forgot. I know he won a Grio stage but IIRC it was sort of uphill
Farrar (if he ever finds some form)/Pettacchi (if he refinds some)
Renshaw - which is being charitable
Freire - out of respect

Guardini obviously throttled Cav on one stage but is he riding?

Off the top of my head that's it for guys who can win.

Farnese-Vini is not invited for the tour, so Guardini is not riding.

As it's also about uphill sprints I would include EBH. Maybe Julien Simon and Tony Gallopin as well - if we are to be nice :)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
BoxCoppi said:
Farnese-Vini is not invited for the tour, so Guardini is not riding.

As it's also about uphill sprints I would include EBH. Maybe Julien Simon and Tony Gallopin as well - if we are to be nice :)

should have added for uphill. EBH, Gerrans, Valverde and Gilbert if we mean more hilltop, but I don't know either way if there is one in the Tour this year.

edit: thanks for the confirmation on Guardini, I saw him on another list so it being the internet I felt compellled to chime in.

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Jericho said:
Do people expect EBH to do much at the tour? Seems like he's riding for Cav. If/when Cav leaves, he'll have some freedom. But that's down the line

Kurt Asle Arvesen (EBH coach/manager) confirmed that sky will ride for EBH on stage 1 and 3. Eddy will go all in in the prologue, probably hoping for a yellow jersey after stage 1 or 3.

Jericho said:
Do people expect EBH to do much at the tour? Seems like he's riding for Cav. If/when Cav leaves, he'll have some freedom. But that's down the line

according to yates,EBH only freedom will come in the tactical breakaways,probably in the last days of le tour i guess

he will have to work for wiggo in the mountains
and for cav in the sprints.keep in mind now that cav is also doing this year the hilly stages sprint and the uphill ones.

EBH will be a beast at planche de belles filles,at the foot of it.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
HemmoBosscher said:
Since we've discussed green jersey winners etc. and with a lot of us in fantasy tour de france leagues or looking to make some (friendly) bets, who can consistently finish high up in sprints? Note: this is not "who will win the green jersey?". If someone can consistently top 10 he's valuable too.

This is for both the uphill and flat finishes, going by this Tour de France.

My 10 would be:

Sagan
Cavendish
Goss
Greipel
Kittel
Petacchi
Farrar
EBH (when Cav leaves he might get more freedom in sprints)
Renshaw
Freire

others I considered:
Hutarovich
Bozic
Rojas
Gilbert
Dumoulin
Haedo

Let's come up with the best possible 10 for this Tour.

Here is my contenders all who can possibly hope to win a stage...

Kenny Van Hummel:
Cavendish
Boassen Hagen:
Oscar Freire
Marcel Kittel
Mark Renshaw
André Greipel
Borut Bozic
Yauheni Hutarovich
Tyler Farrar
Alessandro Petacchi
Peter Sagan
Jose Joaquin Rojas Gil
Matthew Harley Goss
JJ Haedo
Gallopin

From that list I would chose
Farrar
Pettachi
Goss
Greipel
Sagan
Kittel
Freire
Cavendish
Boassen Hagen
Rojas

The only change I can really find is Rojas for Renshaw, imo they both dont have the speed to win flat out sprints yet Rojas on his day on a lumpy stage with a hard finish has a much better chance to win then Renshaw has on a flat sprint so I would go for Rojas

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
according to yates,EBH only freedom will come in the tactical breakaways,probably in the last days of le tour i guess

he will have to work for wiggo in the mountains
and for cav in the sprints.keep in mind now that cav is also doing this year the hilly stages sprint and the uphill ones.

EBH will be a beast at planche de belles filles,at the foot of it.

Exactly.. he will be a total beast on the front and will be even better controlling the descents if he gets over the climbs without Sky burning him out, as we saw in the Dauphine where he singlehandedly brought back the Evans/Nibali group on the descent.

He will wont be given a chance in the sprints but he will be allowed to sprint if Cavendish has been dropped and after last year where he was imperious towards the end of the Tour with that break away win and the 2nd on Champs Elysees I believe he has really good recovery and will be really strong on stage 18, 20, 14 etc if he is given the chance to infiltrate a breakaway.

Froome19 said:
The only change I can really find is Rojas for Renshaw, imo they both dont have the speed to win flat out sprints yet Rojas on his day on a lumpy stage with a hard finish has a much better chance to win then Renshaw has on a flat sprint so I would go for Rojas

The problem Rojas has now is that Sagan and to a lesser extent Boasson Hagen will also be suited to those stages that he can win. He'll have better results in the pan-flat stages than them, Sagan because he'll get outmuscled by the larger sprinters and Boasson Hagen because Cavendish will be the lead guy, but on those intermediatey lumpy stages that end in a reduced sprint, Rojas will likely be beaten by at least one of them.

Really, though he's the most versatile of them, he isn't even the quickest sprinter on Movistar anymore, Ventoso is.

TRENDING THREADS