Top Cobbled Classics Riders who are Free Agents next Season

Which of these riders will likely change teams?

  • Greg Van Avermaet (32)

    Votes: 15 83.3%
  • Niki Terpstra (33)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Jasper Stuyven (25)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Yves Lampaert (26)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jens Debusschere (28)

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Chrisophe Laporte (25)

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Jurgen Roelandts (32)

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Jean-Pierre Drucker (31)

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Nils Politt (24)

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Mike Teunissen(25)

    Votes: 3 16.7%

  • Total voters
    18
With three monuments done, and majority of the objectives of the top riders with expiring contacts are either attained or not. Which of these riders will likely change teams?

Greg Van Avermaet (32)
Niki Terpstra (33)
Jasper Stuyven (25)
Yves Lampaert (26)
Jens Debusschere (28)
Chrisophe Laporte (25)
Jurgen Roelandts (32)
Jean-Pierre Drucker (31)
Nils Politt (24)
Mike Teunissen(25)

Demare, Valgren, EBH, Phinney were excluded from the list as they still have major objectives in the Ardennes or in GT.




As for Wout Van Aert, I am not sure if there are teams that are willing to buy out his contract. He still has 2 yrs with his current team.
 
GVA does not have a team. With Oss and Dillier gone, he can only rely on Drucker who is also out of contract next year.
Perhaps BMC would like to surround LRP with more a super domestique.
 
Mar 12, 2018
315
0
0
Sky doesn't care enough for classics to pay GVA the salary he would want. He's destined to Bahrain. However if I was at Sky I would snap at Stuvyen, he'd be immediately their best sprinter option as well :lol:
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Re: Re:

Anderis said:
Asero831 said:
GVA does not have a team. With Oss and Dillier gone, he can only rely on Drucker who is also out of contract next year.
Bettiol should be a great domestique for GVA but has been completely invisible this spring for some reason.
Bettiol crashed a lot and BMC.
In Roubaix they also had bad luck, they lost Küng because of a crash early and burned a few guys to get Greg back in the main bnch when Gilbert was on the attack, but usually they also have terrible team tactics, nothing but riding tempo fro Greg.
 
Re: Top Cobbled Classics Riders who are Free Agents next Sea

Currently there seem to be three teams with varying levels of financial uncertainty: QuickStep, Astana, BMC. Maybe the likeliest to fold is BMC?

I would be very surprised if Terpstra changes teams, and more so if Lampaert does. QS has brought both of them success, and while this could get them a higher salary elsewhere they seem to enjoy the team and environment. Lampaert does not remind me of other young riders who have left QS to lead races for other teams.

Stuyven seems a likely candidate to remain with Trek, although someone may feel crowded with Degenkolb, Pedersen, and Stuyven. If BMC is alive then he may be a good fit there. GvA and Roelandts are older and may leave. They are not a team with a positive, sustainable outlook, and I say this for the GTs and the classics. If GvA leaves I do not see Roelandts staying, someone who was brought on to super domestique first and foremost. Drucker, Roelandts, GvA, are probably too many to keep.

Katusha would be smart to extend Politt, they have a young team (Politt included) and would be smart to keep them around. I could see them signing an older rider, or someone to Kittel's leadout train. Roelandts would be smart and probably not too expensive.

Teunissen at Sunweb seems to me similar to Politt. The only question is whether they will be looking to bolster their climbing roster to support Kelderman and Dumoulin (though Teunissen would be a strong domestique in the flatter areas). Sunweb might also wish to sign a veteren rider, though would it be for Dumoulin, Matthews, or the cobbles?

Is Laporte happy at Cofidis? In my opinion he would have better oppurtunities to learn and ride for himself elsewhere.

And for those you excluded I would be beyond shocked if Demare and Phinney end up anywhere other than their current teams. And EBH is a good fit for Dimension Data (not necessarily a complement for either party).

I'm sure teams would be willing to buy van Aert's contract, but is that what he wants?
 
You would still rather wan't Greg than Niki, right?

Im not really sold on Lampeart at all. He is good as a 4th string on QS or a great domestique, but he ain't winning the biggest races. Simply not strong enough. I think Stuyven can, at least Roubaix on a good day - great rouleur abilities and a nice finish. Laporte seems to be developing great on Cofidis and is pretty versatile, Teunissen has a huge motor and can play super domestique for one of the favourites. That goes for Politt as well, both have been very strong in this spring, but neither will win big races, I think.
 
Re:

EroicaStradeBianche said:
Beppe Conti (for how much we can believe him) said some weeks ago that BMC folding is extremely likely, and that they will be replaced in the World Tour by the israelis.
Lately seems better than usual, he talked about van Avermaet to Bahrain already in december before any other.
 
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
You would still rather wan't Greg than Niki, right?

Im not really sold on Lampeart at all. He is good as a 4th string on QS or a great domestique, but he ain't winning the biggest races. Simply not strong enough. I think Stuyven can, at least Roubaix on a good day - great rouleur abilities and a nice finish. Laporte seems to be developing great on Cofidis and is pretty versatile, Teunissen has a huge motor and can play super domestique for one of the favourites. That goes for Politt as well, both have been very strong in this spring, but neither will win big races, I think.
Depends on how Teunissen will develop, but he is able to finish well so in the right team he might grab a big victory or two.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
1
0
Re: Re:

Bardamu said:
Valv.Piti said:
You would still rather wan't Greg than Niki, right?

Im not really sold on Lampeart at all. He is good as a 4th string on QS or a great domestique, but he ain't winning the biggest races. Simply not strong enough. I think Stuyven can, at least Roubaix on a good day - great rouleur abilities and a nice finish. Laporte seems to be developing great on Cofidis and is pretty versatile, Teunissen has a huge motor and can play super domestique for one of the favourites. That goes for Politt as well, both have been very strong in this spring, but neither will win big races, I think.
Depends on how Teunissen will develop, but he is able to finish well so in the right team he might grab a big victory or two.
Yes and you could say the same about Politt, big engine (good TT rider), good on the cobbles and a good sprint after a hard race. I remember that I first realized that he could do something in the cobbled classics when he finished 5th in Le Samyn in 2016.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY