• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2013 Questions

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I am following the Tour de France around the northern stages (9-13) this year. I am hoping to seek some guidance regarding the actual roads which are used because I am currently booking camp sites and do not want to be too far from the action. Has anyone been before? and what advice would you give? Apart from the map which has been circulated, is there a more route specific one? Thanks.

Klewless said:
Hello, I am following the Tour de France around the northern stages (9-13) this year. I am hoping to seek some guidance regarding the actual roads which are used because I am currently booking camp sites and do not want to be too far from the action. Has anyone been before? and what advice would you give? Apart from the map which has been circulated, is there a more route specific one? Thanks.

There won't be road maps for the flatter stages for a few weeks at least. There are some guesses that people have made on some of the route planning websites that can be googled, but at least for Stage 5 which I'll be going to it's been quite easy for me to work out that those guesses are wrong!

The best place to start is the tourism websites for the start and finish towns: some of those give the local routes for the ways that the race will leave or arrive in the towns. From that (and knowing the length of the stage and that they're unlikely to take the autoroute) you can make an educated guess of the route.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Tour de France route

Thank you very much for the help! I have booked the first couple of nights and think I will wait for the road maps to come out before doing the next. Thanks again! :)