• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de France 2022 - The anticipational thread

Who is going to win a stage? (3 answers possible)

• David Gaudu

Votes: 44 62.9%
  • Florian Vermeersch

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Esteban Chaves

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Jakob Fuglsang

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Dylan Groenewegen

Votes: 35 50.0%
  • Connor Swift

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Mattia Cattaneo

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • Peter Sagan

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • Quinn Simmons

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Carlos Verona

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
alpe-dhuez-berg-rekord.jpg

I will update this post, but you can start your excited messaging now!

Questions in need of an answer:

- whose covid test will prevent them from starting?

- will RedheadDane write greetings to the forum on the road, or only to Pinot and Gaudu?

- can Pogacar survive the heat?

- will Roglic take revenge?

- will there be crosswinds?

- will O'Connor live up to the thread title I made for him?

- will Vlasov become a nationless hero?

- will we see a fight for leadership within Ineos?

- how many victims will Arenberg claim?

- will we see Alpe d'Huez climbing times at Alpe d'Huez?

- is the Super Planche des Belles Filles really better than the Planche Des Filles, standard version?

- who will be the break-out star of this year's Tour?

- with a tough route, a hot summer, a Paris-Roubaix-stage and covid around, how many riders will make it to Paris?

- will the forum war between van Aert supporters and Roglic supporters get violent?

- will Bahrain repeat their Tour wonder from last year?

- will Ganna get to wear a yellow jersey?

- will there be a fight for the polka dots?

- will Vingegaard steal the light from Roglic?

- with the hard route, will we see an epic edition, or will riders save themselves until stage 20?

Less than a week to go!!

Last edited:
Alas, the time for the Tour. Unfortunately, this year, I’m on vacation with no WIFI during the last two weeks except the Champs, so I will miss the crunch time. However, I anticipate the first week like I would regularly, and am excited to watch :).

I have kinda similar situation. I go on vacation for first 2 weeks of the Tour but on some days I'll have WiFi (and that includes Alpine stages which I can't miss). No chance that I will watch the cobbles and PDBF, especially the former could be brutal.

But she knew they were flying out of Denmark, right?

No, but I assume the FdJ riders will all be in the same plane.

Yes, but I think we all know that.

Essentially my BIL - older sister's husband - has some family that has a summerhouse near the route, so we're borrowing that. I think we'll be heading southwards on the Friday.

And my three weeks of vacation coincides perfectly with the Tour!

Yes, but I think we all know that.

Essentially my BIL - older sister's husband - has some family that has a summerhouse near the route, so we're borrowing that. I think we'll be heading southwards on the Friday.

And my three weeks of vacation coincides perfectly with the Tour!

Reactions: Sandisfan
I picked Gaudu, Birdsong, and Sagan. Had I been able to pick three, period, I would have chosen Pog, Pinot, and another French rider...Bardet?

I have a new job...and a TV in my office. Needless to say, 9 am to Noon will be office time :cool:. I expect a lot from this Tour de France, obviously.

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan
I now more or less am in an anticipation mode.

Anticipation & hype is the best moment.

It usually (for me) lasts until I realize I've overrated the TdF based on my childhood memories (again) & begin looking forwards to the Vuelta.

The racing can be excruciatingly dull in the Tour when teams value their current position more than taking risks (aka the "I'm going to defend my fifth place" attitude). I've lost count of how many times I've seen major climbs result in zero action. Let's also not forget we've just had a very dull Giro (notwithstanding the final climb of the final mountain stage).

And as a TV spectacle it's not like the panning camera shots of towns & castles means much either when I've probably seen them all by now already. I want Jumbo to be extremely aggressive & I want Rog to be at his Olympics/Vuelta 2021 level.

Then we'll get some action & it'll be memorable, i.e. because Roglic happens to be one of the few GC contenders who most likely doen't care about finishing second again.

TRENDING THREADS