• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tour de Suisse 9-17/6/2012

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Startlist (cyclingfever.com)

Route Map
awrcxk.png
catq-1.gif

Stage 1 Profile
14twocw.jpg

Stage 2 Profile
sln407.jpg

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Would have written a blurb but just wanted a thread and could hardly be a$$ed to do this much.

I will say, though, that Sagan has stages 3-6 + 9, probably.

Actually not 9.

Chachi. Infinitely better than the Dauphiné.

Not really convinced Verbier is a 'HC' climb, but OK. Maybe if they did the Col du Lein first it would be.

How about Arosa? The only profile I can find is this, so I can't really see the HC given that they're already giving out points at about the 9km mark, so it's HC for about 15km of false flat then some climbing at 6,5%? However the profile on the stage looks to be steeper then flatten out for a bit, so I wonder if there's a different way of doing that last bit, or a steep extension on the end? The climbbybike profile looks far more consistent and unthreatening than the race profile.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Here's a podium: Gesink-Kreuziger-Cunego.

Can Valverde perform here? It's his Tour prep, but he hasn't raced since April.

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Does Cunego ride this year? If so, he might have a chance since the TT seems quite hilly.

Otherwise who are the favorites? Valverde? Is Bottle there to wheel suck is way up the mountains?

Libertine Seguros said:

Not really convinced Verbier is a 'HC' climb, but OK. Maybe if they did the Col du Lein first it would be.

How about Arosa? The only profile I can find is this, so I can't really see the HC given that they're already giving out points at about the 9km mark, so it's HC for about 15km of false flat then some climbing at 6,5%? However the profile on the stage looks to be steeper then flatten out for a bit, so I wonder if there's a different way of doing that last bit, or a steep extension on the end? The climbbybike profile looks far more consistent and unthreatening than the race profile.

Arosa has been used at least once before - 2005, Horner won

Agreed, the final climb is not really HC

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Havetts said:
Great race. Not much contenders, but it'll be fun nonetheless and a lot better parcours than the Dauphine.

I'd say a great deal of GCs:

LEIPHEIMER Levi; VELITS Peter; KOLOBNEV Alexandr; SPILAK Simon; GUSEV Vladimir; OSS Daniel; LÖFKVIST Thomas; KREUZIGER Roman; KESSIAKOFF Fredrik; KISERLOVSKI Robert; DANIELSON Tom; DEKKER Thomas; ALBASINI Michael; CUNEGO Damiano; FRANK Mathias; KOHLER Martin; TSCHOPP Johann; CANCELLARA Fabian; FUGLSANG Jakob; KLÖDEN Andreas; MONFORT Maxime; SCHLECK Frank; HOOGERLAND Johnny; LAGUTIN Sergey; ANTON HERNANDEZ Igor; ASTARLOZA CHAURREAU Mikel; IZAGUIRRE INSAUSTI Gorka; NIEVE ITURALDE Mikel; PEREZ MORENO Ruben; VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro; GUTIERREZ PALACIOS José Ivan;HERRADA LOPEZ Jesús; KARPETS Vladimir; BRUSEGHIN Marzio; ROJAS GIL Jose Joaquin; GESINK Robert; BRESCHEL Matti; KRUIJSWIJK Steven; MOLLEMA Bauke; GADRET John; MINARD Sébastien; ROCHE Nicholas; PINEAU Cedric; ROY Jérémy; NUYENS Nick; GUSTOV Volodymir; SØRENSEN Chris Anker; EFIMKIN Alexander

Half of the above mentioned names are not close to being GC contenders for a race like this - fx are Breschel, Oss, Rojas & Kolobnev great riders, but nowhere near capable to get a overall top30 finish in TDS.

What names like Minard, Pineau, Kohler, Lagutin, Perez & Gustov is doing on your list beats me......

The GC should be decided between the likes of Gesink, Kreuziger, Cunego, Poels & Valverde.

Big question marks are Leipheimer, Nordhaug, Kessiakoff & Mollema.

Really looking forward to this race, should bode for some great racing!

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
...Just noticed that Nieve's riding as well as Anton. Should be good for a stage win or a good overall placing after the Giro.

Kazistuta said:
Half of the above mentioned names are not close to being GC contenders for a race like this - fx are Breschel, Oss, Rojas & Kolobnev great riders, but nowhere near capable to get a overall top30 finish in TDS.

What names like Minard, Pineau, Kohler, Lagutin, Perez & Gustov is doing on your list beats me......

The GC should be decided between the likes of Gesink, Kreuziger, Cunego, Poels & Valverde.

Big question marks are Leipheimer, Nordhaug, Kessiakoff & Mollema.

Really looking forward to this race, should bode for some great racing!
Fränk Schleck, as a former winner, deserves a mention. So does your countryman Fuglsang, if there's no total mayhem on the climbs.

I think Kreuziger can win this, with a big bonus of form from the Giro. I don't know about Gesink, he is currently still on altitude training so I doubt he'll be good in the first few stages (and the one to Verbier is pretty important).

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Eyeballs Out said:
Arosa has been used at least once before - 2005, Horner won

Agreed, the final climb is not really HC

:D Horner followed a move made by a neo-pro on Fassa Bartolo: Vincenzo Nibali. After debating the division of labour in the escape ("I said many things" - Horner), CH attacked him FTW.

Libertine Seguros said:
The clibbybike profile is deceptive because the last 4½ km are treated as one section. In reality, those 4½ kms are 1½ km almost flat, and 3 kms at 10 %. The profile of the last part of this year's stage 8 looks like this (very approximately, but still pretty accurate according to the altitudes in the time schedule):

l5ZE5.png

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:

http://www.cyclingcols.com/profiles/Arosa.gif

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Gesink is the favourite for GC IMO. Sagan will mop up at least 2, more like 4 stage wins.

Is Anton actually starting? Recovered from his collarbone bust?

TRENDING THREADS