• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Tour de Suisse

jmdirt said:
It seems that racers are having good days followed by bad days, and/or bad days followed by good days at TdS. Is this a sign of cleaner racers?
Dno.

Lets remember this was 3 MTF's in a row in very bad weather. Rain and cold. When you are this skinny, it points more to that than to more doping/less doping or whatever.
 
They're all doping in one form or another, why would the Tour de Suisse be any different?

I don't think there's much to discuss that hasn't been talked about in the riders threads. TJ is perfectly capable of winning Queen stages in one week stage races. Heck, he almost won the double climb of the Alpe d'Huez at the Tour.

This isn't surprising...
 
Mar 14, 2016
2,400
1
0
Re:

Irondan said:
They're all doping in one form or another, why would the Tour de Suisse be any different?
I'm not sure the French are doping, IIRC doping is now a criminal offence in France and it could land them prison time if they're caught.
 
Re: Re:

AlexNYC said:
Breh said:
Lopez beats Cancellara
It is Astana, so it's more than likely. But it seems people are unaware that he has a really good TT.
The only reason that people are "unaware" that he has a "really good TT" is because prior to today he only finished once in a top-10 of an ITT as a pro (outside of the Nationals). And that was in a race where the winner had an average speed of 12 km/h slower than today.
 
Re: Re:

roundabout said:
AlexNYC said:
Breh said:
Lopez beats Cancellara
It is Astana, so it's more than likely. But it seems people are unaware that he has a really good TT.
The only reason that people are "unaware" that he has a "really good TT" is because prior to today he only finished once in a top-10 of an ITT as a pro (outside of the Nationals). And that was in a race where the winner had an average speed of 12 km/h slower than today.
This reminds me of Quintana in the TT in País Vasco in 2013.
He does not have as many results because he is very young.
Besides it was a hilly TT. Pantano was 7th. His good TT does not prove much.

Having said that it is Astana.
 
Apr 6, 2015
556
0
3,580
Re: Re:

roundabout said:
AlexNYC said:
Breh said:
Lopez beats Cancellara
It is Astana, so it's more than likely. But it seems people are unaware that he has a really good TT.
The only reason that people are "unaware" that he has a "really good TT" is because prior to today he only finished once in a top-10 of an ITT as a pro (outside of the Nationals). And that was in a race where the winner had an average speed of 12 km/h slower than today.
He was a neopro last year, and this year he hasn't been that great until TdS. I don't think looking at his stats as a pro is all that useful. He was already a very good TTer as an amateur, so it is to be expected that he will get a lot better as a pro, where he will have much better resources.

However, the fact that he is with Astana, and that his DS is the same guy at the helm of that infamous Astana pro-conti team, makes it very likely that he is already doping. This is why I was so dismayed when Lopez first signed with Astana. This a youngster straight out of Boyaca, Colombia. I really don't think Astana was the right team for him.
 
May 12, 2015
417
0
0
Re: Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
Irondan said:
They're all doping in one form or another, why would the Tour de Suisse be any different?
I'm not sure the French are doping, IIRC doping is now a criminal offence in France and it could land them prison time if they're caught.
Would like some clarification... Do you mean that all French citizens caught doping face criminal prosecution in France, regardless of which country the offense occured, or that anyone caught doping on French territory faces prosecution?
 
Re:

Irondan said:
They're all doping in one form or another, why would the Tour de Suisse be any different?
Please will you explain how "they are all doping" squares with this text that you may recognise. I think we need some help with the rules.
Proof of point, opinions, and common knowledge: you can't just say "we know Bobby the Bod is doping". You have to provide some proof using linked sources or verifiable material. Or, you can just state "in my opinion". If, on the other hand, it is in the realm of "common knowledge", then it is acceptable to make an unverified statement. Be careful - common knowledge would apply, for instance, at the time of this posting, to Lance Armstrong. But allegations of current doping, and current riders, would not be "common knowledge" at this point. To be common knowledge, the "fact" has to have been published, widely read, and widely agreed with. This point is particularly applicable in The Clinic.
That they are all doping is certainly a common view but I am still surprised to see you in particular state it so blandly. It is not the kind of "common knowledge" that Mr Benson was referring to and which you have now adopted yourself.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
You have to be an imbecile or a hypocrite to imagine that a professional cyclist who rides 235 days a year can hold himself together without stimulants
Jaques Anquetil

Now can some point to what has changed in the sport that has a culture to dope since Anquetil said this in 1967?
 
Apr 3, 2011
1,837
0
0
Valv.Piti said:
jmdirt said:
It seems that racers are having good days followed by bad days, and/or bad days followed by good days at TdS. Is this a sign of cleaner racers?
Dno.

Lets remember this was 3 MTF's in a row in very bad weather. Rain and cold. When you are this skinny, it points more to that than to more doping/less doping or whatever.
let's not forget we have 2nd tier climbers here at best, lots of youngsters, no clear favorites, no firm control of the race... and in these conditions even Skyborgs rust away, see their record at the Giro
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS