• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Training Tyres

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Looking for new training tyres. I've tried Maxxis Refuses and Specialized Armadillos, but I'm looking for something new but just as good to try. Any suggestions?

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I have tried many

IMHO they are all good and most experience for me comes down to luck of the draw out there on the road.

Conti Ultra Gator: long wearing but sidewalls tend to cut or pinch for me any way

Vittoria Zaffiro Pro Slick: Long tread life but kind of a harsh and slippy ride

I always come back to the Specialized armadillo. It is the only tire I can confidently roll through any crap on the road. However I now use the newer version which I think the now call ROUBAIX ARMADILLO ELITE large-volume they list as 23 with a 25c casing A little cush for the push. the ones I have are slicks but I have seen them now with slick center thread and some traction pattern for cornering.

for what it is worth

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Vittoria Revo.KXS reversible tire. Slick on one side, tread on the other. Pretty novel idea, but in all honesty the best training tires I've ever used in over 20 years of road cycling are Michelin Krylion Carbon.

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
All my training tires have one thing in common.
They are cheap, as wide as possible, and are cheap.
Most of them are wire bead, but a few are folding, bought at greatly reduced prices. Training on a heavy clincher wheel with a 300 gram tire makes you appreciate a nice light sew up racing wheel.
One of out team's sponsors is Serfas, so I use their tires.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Gatorskin IMHO
Also used Schwalb Durano's and had no issues

And throw some heavy *** butyl tube in as well, because when you get on race wheels you will really fly

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Bonty All Weather Hardcase 23c also great.I have used them all winter with no problems. They feel fast for a winter/trainng tyre and have been great in the wet also.

Spesh Roubaix 23/25c are super slow in terms of rolling resistance (see recent Cycling Plus roll down test) and I have had 3 flats on one ride with 'em! They also get cut up also.

Spesh all condition armadillo 23 (non folding) are much stronger and roll faster as well as having the reinforced sidewalls for pinch flat resistance.

TRENDING THREADS