• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Trek Factory (the Guercilena period)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
I didn't try too hard, but still I tried and I couldn't find much on Guercilena, not on Google nor inside the Clinic.

Any ideas/views on this guy? A three-minute introduction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TeJUZxtK2w

Apart from Voigt becoming a coach, is there much (if any) continuity between the old and dark Bruyneel period and the Guercilena period?

Is Mollema gonna go full on the juice?
He's certainly under pressure to perform.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/mollema-i-needed-a-new-challenge

What role and impact is Voigt gonna have?
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news...turn-hand-coaching-trek-factory-racing-148789

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Yeh aside from being a Lefevre DS there isn't much on him. Anyway, Bruyneel stopped running a nine man program long ago. To the extent that Guercilena also expects his riders to prepare themselves, there is no change.

from the Trek Website:
In 2012, Luca Guercilena became General Manager, stepping up from the role of sport director, and without question he is a natural leader. His philosophy based on transparency has generated respect, trust, and self-confidence amongst all members; the team has flourished under his guidance.

Luca’s humble beginnings began as an amateur cyclist until 1995 when he went on to obtain a degree in sport science at the University of Milan. From here, he cut his teeth as an athletic trainer and manager in the Mapei Sport Center, working first with the youth squad. He coached the development team that included a young Fabian Cancellara. He continued in the Mapei system for 10 years, eventually becoming a trainer and sport director for Quick Step in 2003, working closely with renowned Italian cyclist Paolo Bettini. In 2011, he joined Leopard Trek.

His background as both trainer and sport director give him insight that few other General Managers have. As director of the entire team - well over 60 members strong - Luca must have a 360 degree view at all times. His eyes and ears need be everywhere. He is often leaving one race to join another, traveling well over 240 days a year.

Although Luca has been General Manager for a scant three years, he has proven there is none better qualified for the job. Thoroughly respected by all, his steady hand at the controls has already steered the team out of troubled waters. With the team headed in the right direction, and a trusted captain at the helm, Trek Factory Racing is set to make an impact - now, and for many years to come.
This is clearly a guy who knows the ins and outs of the (anti)doping system. "Worked closely with Bettini", in other words he knows how not to test positive.

I like how there is no sanctimonious statement on antidoping or clean cycling in there.

sniper said:
from the Trek Website:

This is clearly a guy who knows the ins and outs of the (anti)doping system. "Worked closely with Bettini", in other words he knows how not to test positive.

I like how there is no sanctimonious statement on antidoping or clean cycling in there.

But, but, transparency!! You know, like another team with a very, very, very long thread.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
from the Trek Website:

il grillo was classicomano in the fuentes shorthand code no?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gallery-bauke-mollema-track-testing-on-the-trek-speed-concept

no marginal gains for Mollema this time.

“We’ve found track testing to be the preferred venue for conducting TT position testing verus the wind tunnel, as the riders’ needs to pedal and steer their bikes gives us a better representation of the true comfort, efficiency, and sustainability of their positions,” said Roessingh.

“For Bauke, we ran through a range of positions focused on his “leading edge” – hands, head, shoulders, elbows. What we quickly discovered was that his initially established position was fast, and that his aerodynamics were very stable, meaning that small changes in position didn’t result in any significant changes to his drag values.

“Because of his relative stability, and overall low drag value, we actually concluded the testing in the same position as we started in. While that may initially seem like a unsuccessful result, we can use the concept of his aero “stability” to reinforce to Bauke that his aerodynamics are optimized and he doesn’t need to obsess as much on his position during TT’s – he just needs to pedal. This should help direct his focus during training and racing, and provide him confidence that there aren’t any big undiscovered gains to be had in his position.”
I appreciate the transparency here, at least they try at Trek Factory.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued, you aint doing it right^

See team Bauke has his yaw angles right, adroit, dialled in in the velodrome. so smart doing the 360 degree velodrome to get the yaw angles adroit. (philosophical geometry cda fallacy)