• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Turkey Earthquake

I didn't deny the corruption. Of course the damage of the earthquake could have been prevented with no zoning amnesty and bribery and better political figures and building contractors. And most of the people are struggling in the current economic coniditions so you can't just go and say "Go sit in a better home".
The fact is that people affected from earthquake need help. Especially given that the head of the government is more interested in bagging some of the money of AFAD, Kızılay etc. for themselves.

I think help should be proportionate to the objective qualities of the earthquake (location and magnitude) and the expected sustainable impact it will have. I don't think being poorly prepared for a known risk should result in more help than the counterfactual scenario with adequate preparations.

I'm sure Haiti needed far more help in 2010 than Japan did in 2011, but I doubt another billion dollars of humanitarian aid would have had much sustainable impact. Help should be offered when it leads to sustainable better outcomes or when reciprocity is expected. That way you do the most good with the help you can offer (Ukraine is a good case for where great help is warranted).