• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Twitter cycling feeds

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
It amazes me that CN gets abuse for posting news on riders having children, getting married etc. and yet people want to know every time someone farts via their Tweets.

The world is full of contradictions.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Greg Johnson said:
It amazes me that CN gets abuse for posting news on riders having children, getting married etc. and yet people want to know every time someone farts via their Tweets.

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Not really - just the World being full of different people with different likes and preferences. And the fact that folk seem to more readily share their dislikes than offer positive feedback.

If you weren't offering a great and valued service folks wouldn't be around to complain - you are a victim of your own success :D :D

Keep up the good work :)

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:

There's a lot of junk on twitter, but there are some interesting, original things that come across the wire, too. I don't think it's ever going to supplant real journalism, but sometimes it's pretty cool to have such a direct link between the racers and us fans.

That said... the whole thing depends on racers finding the time to use the service. Despite having had fun coding bikechatter.com, I have a sneaking suspicion that twitter is the "CB radio of Web 2.0", and that it may be remembered as a fad in 10 years.

Greg Johnson said:

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Sign of the times. People preferring farts over good objective journalism and reporting. Keep up the good fight.

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
SpeedWay said:
Sign of the times. People preferring farts over good objective journalism and reporting. Keep up the good fight.

I don't think it's quite so simple. Journalists like those at cyclingnews.com do a couple of things (amongst others): 1) access, and 2) filtering. Twitter changes the first by a little bit in that the rest of us have slightly more access to the riders. But that only goes so far... you aren't going to see a well done, in depth interview on twitter. And if you look at bikechatter.com - there's a lot of material going through there at this point, so the 'filtering' is important too - finding those important posts and including them in stories.

So twitter, as long as it remains popular, is really a complement to traditional news sources like cyclingnews. And of course, these things change... when I started racing, I used to get my Velonews in the mail to learn who won some race in Europe a month ago. Now it's instantaneous. Velonews seems to have survived that transition, but I bet it hasn't been easy.

TRENDING THREADS