Two British Pro Conti teams?

If they do, then I hope a team like Pedal Heaven move up to UCI Conti level, and/or a new British UCI conti team otherwise the Tour Series, the Elite Circuit Series and the Elite Road Series will be devastated as there would be only four UCI teams at those races. What is a growing sport in the UK might take a step backwards with having alot more amateur teams than UCI conti teams.
 
Re:

lemon cheese cake said:
If they do, then I hope a team like Pedal Heaven move up to UCI Conti level, and/or a new British UCI conti team otherwise the Tour Series, the Elite Circuit Series and the Elite Road Series will be devastated as there would be only four UCI teams at those races. What is a growing sport in the UK might take a step backwards with having alot more amateur teams than UCI conti teams.
I think the British scene would be enhanced by more UCI races. Tour Series is meaningless fun so keep it, but moving some things like the Lincoln GP up to 1.1 or 1.2 should be a big focus.
 
Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
lemon cheese cake said:
If they do, then I hope a team like Pedal Heaven move up to UCI Conti level, and/or a new British UCI conti team otherwise the Tour Series, the Elite Circuit Series and the Elite Road Series will be devastated as there would be only four UCI teams at those races. What is a growing sport in the UK might take a step backwards with having alot more amateur teams than UCI conti teams.
I think the British scene would be enhanced by more UCI races. Tour Series is meaningless fun so keep it, but moving some things like the Lincoln GP up to 1.1 or 1.2 should be a big focus.
Beumont Trophy up to 1.1, Tour of the Resevoir up to at least 2.2 and the Rutland Melton Cicle Classic up to 1.1.

Anyway, 100% Me could also move up to UCI conti especially if the GB academy (which the team are based on) are making a base again in Italy.
 
Further to that point, there really ought to be a GP Tom Simpson at 1.1 or above . There are 50 million Belgian races celebrating pro cyclists especially ones who died young, but no pro race to commemorate perhaps the most famous cyclist to die young. But even if he was still alive, the British should have a race for a multiple monument winner and world champion.

It would be poignant but perhaps too macabre to have a GP Tom Simpson as a one-day race of Mont Ventoux. His birthplace is a mining village relatively near the north sea coast. Perhaps a tour of mining valleys, the North Pennines before a finish along the coast.
 
Re:

TMP402 said:
Further to that point, there really ought to be a GP Tom Simpson at 1.1 or above . There are 50 million Belgian races celebrating pro cyclists especially ones who died young, but no pro race to commemorate perhaps the most famous cyclist to die young. But even if he was still alive, the British should have a race for a multiple monument winner and world champion.

It would be poignant but perhaps too macabre to have a GP Tom Simpson as a one-day race of Mont Ventoux. His birthplace is a mining village relatively near the north sea coast. Perhaps a tour of mining valleys, the North Pennines before a finish along the coast.
I'd argue Marco Pantani is more famous but I guess Tom was still an active pro at the time of his death which would count for something. It should be, similar to the Pantani and Vandenbroucke memorial races, somewhere close to his hometown, in the north east of the country. I always thought Jiménez and Monséré probably ought to have races too.
 
The Geordies have Gazza and The Great North Run, plenty to be getting on with.

Tom Simpson grew up in Harworth, North Nottinghamshire. That's where he started riding and did most of his training in The Peak District.

Could have a fantastically brutal one day race in The Peaks. Bakewell as a base? Already hosts L,Erocia Brittania which gets 3000 riders.
 
Re:

postmanhat said:
The Geordies have Gazza and The Great North Run, plenty to be getting on with.

Tom Simpson grew up in Harworth, North Nottinghamshire. That's where he started riding and did most of his training in The Peak District.

Could have a fantastically brutal one day race in The Peaks. Bakewell as a base? Already hosts L,Erocia Brittania which gets 3000 riders.
Wherever it has to be, I want to see it done.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS