• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tyres, what are you all riding on?

I'm currently on 2.1" Panaracer fire XC pros. They're very good for what they are, a reasonalby fast rolling XC tyre that can cope with dry-damp trails and hard-pack. But they're pretty hard and can feel unstable when things get fast and loose.

So when my new wheels arrive I'll be looking to change to something a bit more suitable. With that in mind what are you riding on and where do you ride?

IMHO, your problem is not the tire but a combination of suspension, physical fitness, and handling skills.

Test my theory by going to any old bigger tire, like a 2.25 or whatever. The previously sketchy section will likely not be as sketchy. The tire is doing the work for you.

The common solution is to buy a bigger tire. I would argue the better solution is to work on your upper body strength and handling. After that, you'll find your suspension preferences will change anyway.

Well, the idea is the tyre will do the work, that's the reason I want to go to something more suitable.

I'm aware that as I improve I'll be able to handle the slicker tyres better, but I'm still going to reach their limits. I'll improve on whatever tyres I ride, but tyres with a more suitable tread will let me improve at higher speeds and I won't reach their limits as quickly.

The other thing I wasn't explicit about, as soon as we get a bit of rain over here these tyres clog up with mud instantly and won't clear until I get on tarmac, they're just not quite right for the riding I'm doing.

Upper body strength isn't an issue so I don't need to worry about that at least!

If I could afford it I'd have a pike on the bike, but until then I think the only thing that's likely to affect the suspension is weight loss.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
It's dry and loose here is so cal now. More than ever really. I'm Not an XC strava guy either. Long travel bikes. I'm more concerned with cornering than rolling now. Went from a Hans dampf 2.3 front and racing Ralph 2.25 rear to minion Dh front 2.5 and height roller 2.35 rear. This added a pound to my bike. The minion D&H 2.5 is 2 lbs itself.

Schwalbes are great rolling/grip weight etc. but wear out quick for me and there were moments cornering I would drift n slide out. Have to keep higher pressure in them too IMHO as sidewalks are not strong

I can bring pressure way down on the maxxis

Not first up the hill. The weight and knobs alone are slow.

Thanks, minion/high roller combo seems popular. I don't care about weight at all, you should see the wheels I've just had built, sun ringle mammoths with hope hubs, single butted drive side spokes that are as thick as hub will allow. Completely bombproof.

Been offered some almost new trail king black chilli compound so going to get them and see what I think. 2.4 up front and 2.2 at the back. Minion/high roller will be the next to try, although most people I see run the minion at the back. Do you find them better that way round?

King Boonen said:
Well, the idea is the tyre will do the work, that's the reason I want to go to something more suitable.

While it's clear you need something that clears mud better, you otherwise missed my point.

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2009/10/cornering-tips/

http://www.pinkbike.com/u/mtbstrengthcoach/blog/3stepcornering.html

Do some drills a couple of days a week and revisit the idea after 30 days. Or not, and spend money on equipment that probably won't improve your cornering.

Hi Dirtyworks,

I do get your point but it's not just cornering that's a problem. It's grip everywhere that is an issue. As soon as I get off piste the bike is pretty much sliding everywhere. I'll take your advice, although I struggle to get out more than once a week as it is, and maybe I'll be able to reduce the size. I got the trail kings on yesterday, for a steal, less than half price and basically band new, and they have certainly improved the feel of the bike. I'm sure a lot of it is compensating for bad technique but I'm ok with that at the moment.

If you check out photos of the EWS this weekend I the tweed Valley you'll see exactly what I'm riding. Hard pack I was fine on but anything more natural and the grip just went.

TRENDING THREADS