• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

U23 Paris-Roubaix

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Heh. Taillefer. Put him in the pros and he's beyond awful. Put him in the under-23s and he's amazing.

I still don't get what's wrong with that guy.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
What are the odds on Phinney riding as a stagiare for Radioshack later on this season? They could use some positive press and fresh, untainted blood...

issoisso said:
Heh. Taillefer. Put him in the pros and he's beyond awful. Put him in the under-23s and he's amazing.

I still don't get what's wrong with that guy.

Come off it. Taillefer is on 20 years old. 20 year olds shouldn't be able to compete with professionals in their physical prime.... Unless they're named Peter Sagan :rolleyes:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Come off it. Taillefer is on 20 years old. 20 year olds shouldn't be able to compete with professionals in their physical prime.... Unless they're named Peter Sagan :rolleyes:

Take it easy sunshine :)

It's a fact that Taillefer has been amazing in youth categories, but hasn't even been able to ride with the peleton as a pro. It's just odd, that's all.

ergmonkey said:
What are the odds on Phinney riding as a stagiare for Radioshack later on this season? They could use some positive press and fresh, untainted blood...

They usually save that for rest days.

Let's revive this old thread with 2016s edition which is due to start any minute now. directvélo provides the best coverage as usual, and also brings us a last minute final start list: http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/51017/paris-roubaix-espoirs-les-partants

I predict a battle between the big development squads of BMC and Klein-Constantia, with the advantage on BMC's side - van Hooydonck, Eenkhorn, Tietema are all on form right now plus they bring last year's surprise winner Spengler as well. I'm also curious to see what Adrian Costa is up to here - so far his european campaign has been glorious. Outsider bets are on Logan Owen, Edward Planckaert, Elie Gesbert, Tao Geoghegan Hart, Christophe Noppe, Enzo Wouters and a few others - hard to predict.

Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
Let's revive this old thread with 2016s edition which is due to start any minute now. directvélo provides the best coverage as usual, and also brings us a last minute final start list: http://www.directvelo.com/actualite/51017/paris-roubaix-espoirs-les-partants

I predict a battle between the big development squads of BMC and Klein-Constantia, with the advantage on BMC's side - van Hooydonck, Eenkhorn, Tietema are all on form right now plus they bring last year's surprise winner Spengler as well. I'm also curious to see what Adrian Costa is up to here - so far his european campaign has been glorious. Outsider bets are on Logan Owen, Edward Planckaert, Elie Gesbert, Tao Geoghegan Hart, Christophe Noppe, Enzo Wouters and a few others - hard to predict.

Don't think Logan Owen is starting as he was riding the US championships last night. The BMC squad is impressive (don't forget Sivakov, he has some pretty impressive results for such a young guy) and I'm also curious to see what Costa can do here. Elie Gesbert seems like a good pick cause he was brilliant in the 3rd stage of the Ronde de l'Isard.

Absolutely worthless. A U23 classic held during the sacrosanct Tour of Italy should never even exist. Unlike the pro race it's not even organized by the uncriticizable ASO but by VC Roubaix, so it's heresy. You cannot offend ASO & RCS like that. You should be court-martialled for that. 35km on cobbles including Camphin-en-Pévèle & Carrefour de l'Arbre, just go & ride it to see if it's worthless.

Friend of mine raced it. He told me that it was the only race which he would fight for any place because it's such an honour for him to finish. He sprinted for place #30 or so and sprinted it as if it were a sprint for victory ...

Echoes said:
Absolutely worthless. A U23 classic held during the sacrosanct Tour of Italy should never even exist. Unlike the pro race it's not even organized by the uncriticizable ASO but by VC Roubaix, so it's heresy. You cannot offend ASO & RCS like that. You should be court-martialled for that. 35km on cobbles including Camphin-en-Pévèle & Carrefour de l'Arbre, just go & ride it to see if it's worthless.

Friend of mine raced it. He told me that it was the only race which he would fight for any place because it's such an honour for him to finish. He sprinted for place #30 or so and sprinted it as if it were a sprint for victory ...

Of course the race is worthwhile as a U23 classic but I think the point the other posters were making was that it's worthless as an indicator of future Paris Roubaix winners which is a fair call